Agood tutorial from you guys or better....

Conuk

These models look superb. Id really like to have a go.

Where did you guys learn ?!

Do you have a tutorial - or a good place to start.... I know theres google - but am interested in how you guys learned the art.

Thanks in advance.

I started when i was ~13 years old, max 2.5 (now we are at 7), i modelled some crap things, but after a while i got frustrated. A year later i bought a book and got hold of an new version, i started a Dutch 3d online community, and my skills grew.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21263

Is a big tutorials list.

Also, modeling something according to some pictures is the same as drawing a portray of someone, although not entirely the same. The 3d package is just a tool, just like a pencil and a paper sheet.

migtoon0xo.gif

I cant entirely agree with you though. 3DSMAX is a tool, but even for someone with average skills it's a powerfull tool. I can't draw a shit but I can model if I have a drawing first.

The best thing to do before you start modeling is to see where do you want to go. Have a general idea what you final result should be.

Observe the object you want to model. All objects are jus an assembly of standard "primitives" objects such as cylinder, sphere, cube etc. Observetion an persisting are the key of success in 3D modeling.

Be aware though. Your learning curve will fast at the begining then it will slowdown and finaly will go fast. There is multiple solutions to modele one object, somes are more direct others no.

Cool.

But do u know a site with a basic tutorial for beginners about modeling a car.

Like a walkthrough of it ?

Try this, but its not very "basic". you should be familiar with spline modelling and the "surface" modifier. Go through the max tutorial for the above before attempting this. But hey, its worth it. If you master the art of spline networking, you would be able to model almost anything, including complex organics.

http://www.visualart.ro/tutorials/masina/car1_eng.htm

Good Luck.

PS.

try google for other methods of modelling inluding "Patch" modelling where you basically start with a small patch touching the surface of a car side, then with a series of edge extrusions you cover the whole body. Also try "Box" modelling.

sig3small320x1503vh3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone know the reqirements for modelling a cockpit in lock on?

format, texturesize, polys etc.

i guess if theres a slight chance that ED will release some modding tools after 1.2 someone should start to model some cockpits *g* :)

well that wasn't the plan

take the f18 or the tornado (single seat approach) for example:

we could use the eos & lltv system from the su25T, the a-a sys from the f 15 & the nav display from the mig29/su27 etc.

dimensions don't have to be 100% accurate .. comparing to pictures would be enough for me ..

if ED would confirm such a mod-kit for a post 1.2 time one could talk people like aeyes (http://www.cockpits.nl) into sharing their cockpit textures (btw. as for dimensions: aeyes seems to have pretty accurate research material) ;)

i don't want to beg ED to let us modify the .exe (like f4 bms etc.) i'm just considering a import export tool

These models look superb. Id really like to have a go.

Where did you guys learn ?!

Do you have a tutorial - or a good place to start.... I know theres google - but am interested in how you guys learned the art.

Thanks in advance.

A good place to start is to read the f.....g manual!!!!! lololol :D

Ok stop joking.... ;)

Try to analyse your object:

What's a plane???? A fuse and various wings....

What does a fuse look like???? A cylinder(primitive object) maybe!!!!

What does a wing(rudder, elevator) look like???? A triangle(basic primitive too!)....

Great you just start to build a Mig 21(or a M2000 if you prefer!).... :D

As someone stated, start to build (and learn) with basic object first, then how to modify their geometry(refining the mesh, moving the vertex,....)....

Patch, nurbs or blob are not necessary, you can learn them latter; we didn't have them when I started 3D modeling with POV loooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg time ago.... :icon_redf :icon_redf :icon_redf .....

CU

Bug2

heuuuu may i suggest you to star with very simple shape ? ANd buy a book who explain you all differents apspect of the program you choose to work with. Creat a shape is not so difficult, but build a model, an accurate one, with such hudge amount of polygons is not a good way to begin. Definitively. Try to do a simple one, (V1 flying bomb for exemple) , in the most accurate way you can. Then, if you succed, try to do the skin for. There a lot of tutorials on the net, but each one is for a specific model, a specific technique, you may will not understand. Do the tutorial include in the program himself, take youre time, do it and do it again, but be sure of only one thing : the first time, it s alway uggly and never reflect waht's you 're initilay plan to do.

the probleme is the performance of the difference system you will implement... Without a good documentation......And i'm not sure, that the F15 's display or Tornado's display are axactly the same than the other, with the same images and symbols..

they don't have to be the same than the original avionics system ...

in falcon 4 u use the f16's systems and displays in every flyable aircraft ... i don't have a problem with that .. i just want a different feel :icon_jook

I thaught myself 3dsmax 3 years ago, or so. I begun modelling in discreet gmax, (a freeware 3D tool with less options as 3dsmax but still uses many of the same tools as it`s big brother, 3ds max), it was very tedious and difficult to do at first, so don`t get discouraged if things don`t seem to work, we all happened for the same difficulties... :)

Try this basic tutorial for gmax on how to model an A/C: http://www.planesimulation.com/gmax2.htm

You can download gmax from here: http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

Hope this helps in something.