Spotting Targets and Multiple Bandit Evasion

I've decided to go the realistic route and disable labels but as expected the issue now is difficulty in spotting targets.

In the distance I can see a big black dot but as they get closer the dot gets smaller! I guess it is an issue with pixel rendering but it makes it tough seeing as the AI always knows where you are and I use TrackIR instead of Padlock. Are there any tricks to spotting enemy aircraft? I've tried cranking up the AA to 8 but it doesn't seem to help.

After the break off when I should be in visual range I find myself circling like an idiot trying to get a visual and I usually receive a missile that I couldn't see right in my face. I can win against the AI in one on one most of the time but it is usually BVR.

I find myself just turning tail after my 120C goes pitbull most of the time when the AI wingmen and I are up against multiple bandits. It seems like the AI will concentrate on the player most of the time. If I am in a Soviet plane I am in a worse position. The signal strength indicator is helpful though.

This also ties into missile evasion... since I can't see where the AI is most of the time I can't put the missile on my beam. I try something like the tactical break off that Ironhand did in his training video but I still find myself dead in most situations. The AI switches to heaters and just nails me before I know a launch has occurred. I've been trying to just drop the throttle and pop flares to help this. Usually I get hit.

I tried to download Ironhand's missile evasion video but it will only work in 1.01, is there any .avi of his video? In the notes he mentions "Orthogonal Roll", is that another name for barrel roll? Any other tips?

You can analyse your flights with tacview program (type it in the e-browser and get it) and by doing so it would be a good starting point.

Other than that there’s a whole bunch of thing to know about.

Spotting the targets on the ground or in the air visually is somewhat exaggerated in visualising the black dots, so doing it visually is as good as it gets.

Labels are good to begin with but then they just spoil the view not to mention the fight.

I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.

The best method I know for keeping track of enemy planes in WRV is to track them from BVR. At range the AI usually stays packed together, take note of their heading, altitude, etc and mo niter them right up to the merge. It also helps to direct your wingmen to different positions as this may force the enemy to disperse, or have them all cluster around one plane and leave themselves open.

If you're severely outnumbered, keep out of WVR fighting and whittle down the enemy. Fire off your missiles and turn 360 (unless of course they are Sparrows or Alamos), then reengage when you can.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I'm actually seeing planes disappear here. I played an A10 mission and my wingman actually disappeared not very far in front of me! I could see him dispensing flares but not his plane.

EDIT: I practiced a head on flyby. The target actually disappears once the LOD changes and then pops out of nowhere when it is nearly right in front of me. Turning off anti-aliasing helps but not much. With the AA at 16x the target disappears for a longer time. I think I know why it has been so hard for me to spot targets now... even when I do spot them they go invisible when they approach!

Is there a graphics setting I can change to fix this?

Edited by Ch0b0

I'm actually seeing planes disappear here. I played an A10 mission and my wingman actually disappeared not very far in front of me! I could see him dispensing flares but not his plane.

EDIT: I practiced a head on flyby. The target actually disappears once the LOD changes and then pops out of nowhere when it is nearly right in front of me. Turning off anti-aliasing helps but not much. With the AA at 16x the target disappears for a longer time. I think I know why it has been so hard for me to spot targets now... even when I do spot them they go invisible when they approach!

Is there a graphics setting I can change to fix this?

YES THERE IS! Head over to the 169th forums, they've got details on how to mod your game so you can get tallies at 40nm! Of course, I consider that a cheat, but let your own conscience be your guide. Be aware that a lot of people are using it when you fly online.

• Like 1

3Sqn - Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region

It is mostly because some planes in the game render with a different

3d model at far ranges, and also people tend to disable the haze/fog

effect on aircraft models. For example the Su27, Su-33 and F-15 online

all have a long range 3d model, while the mig-29 doesnt, this is why

the mig-29 (on some systems, like mine) becomes invisible already around 2

nm, while the F-15 can be seen up to 20 nm away, (or more if you mod it even more),

the same going for Su-33 and Su-27.

In many cases, this in combination with approximately 30-40% lack in missile

range, makes radar bvr combat somewhat pointless, as many people do what

is sometimes referred to Rwr+dot hunting.

There are however ways to make your game somewhat more realistic, although

it is tricky. For example you can insert a mig29 model at far ranges by

drawing it as a diff aircraft up to a certain level. You COULD even make this

change all across the board in a way where you actually get visual ranges comparable

to real life. For example we could have the mig show up somewhere around 5 nm

or so, and the other planes a little bit farther (talking head on here), but it is a little tricky.

I spoke with a mig29 pilot about 2 years back, talking about visual ranges and dogfights

and acquiring visual, and I was really surprised to his attitude here, in this case

I was comparing the mig29 talking about it in relation to some US jet ( I cannot remember

which.). so I made a quick comment *but the mig29 must have an advantage being small

and less visible*, and he said something like *pff, i dont rely on that flying the mig, my plane

makes so much smoke he is more likely to see me first*

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

Yes old MiGs do much smoke so ^^.

However supposedly newer MiGs don't have this "problem".

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

So is there a way to change when the model shows up over the dot(sprite)? I can see planes fine up until exactly 5km and then they disappear until they are way too close. This doesn't happen in any of my other flight sims. (Falcon and IL-2)

I've resorted to just turning labels on until I can fix this.

Possibly, but it's complicated. You'd need to reassign/redesign LODs. Well, that's sounds nice, but last time I checked, in order to do so I needed to make my own model...

If you just rearrange LOD distances in MODMAN, you'll get different drawing distances for all aircraft and not just particular one.

Other than that, actual plane disappearing, is something I never experienced. You may have corrupt model file and may need to reinstall the game? Not sure what's going on...

Cheers, CHola

You can use the modellod.txt file Chola, I have done this.

With a few text edits you can produce close to realistic visibility results

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

Lowering the LOD value in the graphics settings seems to help but targets still disappear and I can't see them farther out. The modellod.txt file doesn't seem to change anything, I tried lowered the value to 1000 in one test.

Yes it wont help you see them farther out, well you could, but

give me a PM about it. It can be misused for cheating.

I can pm you some instructinos on how to set up realistic ranges

Well, to be specific what I really need it some setting that keeps the plane as a sprite for as long as possible. My guess is that when the model first pops up and with AA on it simply renders it down to nothing. So what I need is to edit the distance where the plane turns into a model from a sprite.

Model is never a sprite...It's farthest LOD is box (a geometrical body, not 2D sprite). After that threshold, the model doesn't get drawn at all.

Ah, ok. Is there any setting I could modify to alter the threshold to keep it as a box at closer range?