tactics

I've now gotten to the point where I can comfortably fly the planes without stumbling around for keys and buttons, but I'm getting shot to pieces.

This is the first modern-era flight sim I've played, and I know next to nothing about tactics and how to fight. I know how to use the weapons and hit with them, but not how to fight. I've mainly been flying the A-10.

Is there any centralized guide to the tactical basics? I'm having the most trouble in situations like these:

1. En route to the ground target, I start getting mud spikes from somewhere up ahead in the target vicinity. What do I do if I can't see the SAMs and AAA?If I tell my wingman to engage air defenses, he goes off and maybe gets a few of them, but is often shot down, and whenever a SAM launches at him he jettisons his weapons, which makes him then unable to fulfill the mission. If I try to go in at high speed, using the ground for cover as much as I can, I get shot down by SAMs and AAA maybe 75% of the time. When I know where the SAM is, I can take him out with a Maverick, but if I don't, then I don't see what else I can do then come in as low and as fast as I can and then try to get out.

What do the other A10 drivers do in this situation? Do you break off and then come again at the source of the enemy radar, trying to spot the SAM? Or do you race in low to try to put your bombs on target and then race off.

Does anybody have a link to a guide or any suggestions for the above? I can put bombs and missles on target, but I'm having trouble dealing with AA defenses that I can't see.

Another area I'm struggling with is commanding my wingmen. Any guide or suggestions on how to get him to attack highest threats, etc. would be helpful, as well as any way to prevent him from jettisoning whenever he's engaged defensive.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

my 2 cents after i finished the offical campaign..

1. most mission flight path took you somewhere far away from the non mission related SAMS...follow them and they should not be a huge concern.

2. hug the ground...A10s are not fast fighters like the F15 i am about to learn, but they are easy to control and tough...i was taught that LO HI LO often works when enemy air patrol is not there. fly low, pop up for the shot and split s toward the ground. get out before they can fire the missile. in many missions, switch your payload to mavericks as much as you can carry. i will not fight a shilka with my guns, bombs or rockets. if i ran out and i have to fight a anti air unit, i fly back to base and reload. i can care less how long i spend, as long as i live.

3. when air defence light you up with their radar, they appear s on your radar warning screen, or that green round screen as i use to say. be aware of what's around of you and if you are heading right in to one, break.

4. when ever i attack a target which was protected by SAMS, i fire my maverick and break no matter what. if i fly slow ac like the A10, i break and pop flare regardless..i don't need a confirmed launch for me to do evasive manuver, fire, break, check, turn, fire, break is my pattern when attacking multiple target.

5. don't let ur winman waste weapon on non mission related target, since he often over use his weapon and would not heisatate to jettison them if going evasivE

I KNOW A REALLY GOOD SITE FOR TUTORIAL VIDEOS, I LEARNED A LOT FROM THEM

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/flightbasics.htm

click on tutorial at the top and choose AIR 2 GROUND..

you will find some SAM hunt videos at your disposal.

Edited by FBW

Where no radar threats exist, fly high. Above 13000', IR SAMs will not engage you, and you can attack an enemy position with near impunity.

Use the CCRP feature to drop bombs from high altitude - just set an alitude floor and STICK to it.

Do not dive under it for any reason - if you're going to penetrate it in the course of your attack, abort the attack, gain more altitude, and do it again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Also try incorporating loft bombing CCRP technique to increase the range to target you engage if you have no Mavs.

This one works pretty good with cluster bombs (CBUs) because of it's great footprint so no need in pinpointing the pipper straight at it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As GGTharos said, sometimes flying high over the short range SAM/AAA danger is the answer. Only fly real low if you have no choice due to the larger, longer range SAM's.

In real life the A-10 pilots had trained to fly low for a possible war in Europe. When they got to fly in an actual conflict - the 1991 Gulf War - they found that it was safer to fly high since the Iraqi long range SAM's and the MiG threat had been dealt with.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Yeah, make sure you pop above 13000ft if you have MANPADs and AAA in the vicinity, they won't launch at you if you're above the ceiling but in case of a longer range SAMs like BUK, KUB and S-300 I'd hug the ground and pop some flares/chaff cocktail!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]