Approach to Auto hover

L4key

Sometimes when I am approaching a hover, decelerating at a steady rate, the speed stops going down and starts increasing again, as in going backwards. It happens at different speeds but normally around 30 knts.

I normally hit the auto hover button at sub 10 knts but I end up not being able to get the speedo (sorry) to read anything other than 30 either going forwards or backwards.

4 times out of 5 I have no trouble, the speed bleeds down nicely at ten degrees nose up down to single figure knots then I push the auto hover and all ok. Why sometimes does it get to c.30knts then start going up again, depsite my nose up attitiude?

What set of circumstances cause this?

Ps love the sim, thanks in advance.

How fast are you doing this? For the autohover to work properly you need to be in a hover already, ideally.

Best thing to try, is to stabilise and hold for a few moments and then engage auto-hover. If that doesn't work can you post up a track as that might make it easier to see what you are or are not doing.

• Like 1

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

outside wind speed???

where are you getting the reading from?

Hud, the skval or the anolog speedo?

EDIT: When you slow down, glance out the windows... it helps alot for your SA.

Edited by joey45
  • Like 1

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

What set of circumstances cause this?

Could it be you're sideslipping? or, to avoid a long discussion, could it be that while decelerating you gain lateral speed, thus having a vectorial sum of both forward and lateral speed above 30km/h? It usually happens to me...

• Like 1

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

To Zorrin, I know to only engage AH at a low speed, it's the approach to get to that speed prior to engaging, that the problem occurs.

Joey, HUD reading and you're right - it's looking out the window that tells me I'm reversing (plus the fact my attitude is +10 degrees!)

Sinelnic, could be a sideslip I guess and to be fair, though I can't be sure I think it happens more at a higher altitude. I can't remember it happening when I'm lower than 100.

Thanks chaps. It may be that wind and height and all that means the lateral speed comes into play. Jeez this sim is modelled in detail!!

...though I can't be sure I think it happens more at a higher altitude. I can't remember it happening when I'm lower than 100.

In my case: I just have less ground reference when flying higher:). Also, when decelerating one tends to begin playing with the collective to avoid a steep climb, which should be accompanied by corresponding antitorque pedal to avoid yaw... which I always forget to do and must correct later when lateral movement already developed. Hence when the "direction of motion" line appears in the hud, lots of times I get a diagonal line, even if I could swear by my loved ones that I was going straight...

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

I generally engage AH at any speed under 25 knots... The trick I have found is make sure that you're not trimmed for fast forward speed (ie nose down attitude).. re-adjust your trim nose up slightly and AH should be nice and stable..

(side slip not withstanding, which can be painful)

I generally engage AH at any speed under 25 knots... The trick I have found is make sure that you're not trimmed for fast forward speed (ie nose down attitude).. re-adjust your trim nose up slightly and AH should be nice and stable..

(side slip not withstanding, which can be painful)

engage it under 10.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Foolproof hovering:

- ensure all AP channels are active.

- During approach, press and hold trim.

- Come to stable hover, still holding trim in.

- Release trim and quickly centralise controls.

- Press auto hover.

Done. If you have any drift at all, quickly tap trim again after the AP begins correcting, but before the AP overcorrects (resets the INS hover position).

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

User FAQ entry for entering a hover:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=571348&postcount=31

Besides this, I would agree with ruprecht - use the trim to update your AH position. Remember, when you engage AH, the AP will attempt to keep the helicopter in the point of space where you engaged AH. If you are still traveling with some airspeed when engaging AH, the helicopter will continue to move as it slows down and then reverse back to the point of AH entry. You can prevent this by hitting the Trim again when the helicopter nears '0' airspeed.

Also, remember that the AP only has 20% authority over the controls. If your controls are not trimmed close to where they need to be to maintain the hover, the AP will be unable to "force" them there and the helicopter will drift.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules