IL-2 Birds of Prey Demo

element1108

I've been loosely following the IL-2 Series Birds of Prey development for consoles just out of curiosity. The demo was released for xbox 360 and possibly PS3 yesterday, I blew the dust off my 360 and downloaded the demo to see how it is.

I was curious to see how the IL-2 series would transfer to consoles. I must say the graphics are nice, but that's no surprise on a console. There are 3 types of flight models, arcade, realistic and simulation. Arcade has helpers like target cam, icons, target track and UFO settings (speed over 1000km/h level flight) etc. Realistic the flight model is a little more realistic, but has less helpers than arcade. Simulation has no icons, no auto target track and handles roughly the way these planes should have in terms of speed and turning etc. Simulation also cuts out the chase came perspective.

I found the game fairly fun, but VERY difficult in simulation mode given the xbox 360 controller. I'm use to joystick/throttle and tracker IR to make dogfighting easier...I miss the tracker IR, you can turn your head around the pit but it's awkward key and difficult to track. The hardest part about simulation mode is the way the plane handles. Given the controllers have such a small range of motion it's very easy to stall out or enter a spin because a small movement on the controller = large scale movement in game. This probably takes getting use to.

I personally would have more fun in simulation mode on a PC given the extra gadgets that help out the gameplay, it was fun though in arcade mode and just blowing the snot out of bombers and fighters/armour in a rich looking environment.

I doubt this game will have the shelf life that IL-2 series does for PC, but for the HAWKS/ace combat guys out there this will give them a similar package in a WW2 setting.

Just curious if anyone out there has played the demo and how they feel about it?

I read about it over at SIMHQ and have seen a few vids on youtube. Yeah, graphics are great, though trees are not obstacles(not solid). Is it harder in simulation mode to shot down a bomber? In all the videos it looks so easy to shot down one and with so few hits...

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

I read about it over at SIMHQ and have seen a few vids on youtube. Yeah, graphics are great, though trees are not obstacles(not solid). Is it harder in simulation mode to shot down a bomber? In all the videos it looks so easy to shot down one and with so few hits...

Yeah much harder to shoot down in simulation mode.

Probably is Joey, I know ace combat 6 had a special joystick throttle package, not sure outside of that though.

I'm pretty sure I have had the trees take out my wings when I was playing the demo.

• 1 month later...

I have bought the Saitek joystick which is compatible with Xbox 360 ... but there is nothing in the settings menu in the game to set the joystick and so it is impossible to turn left or right ( or port/starboard !! ) or to descend or to climb ----- this to me is like taking a 50 year step backwards ---- flight sims are meant to work with jostick or yolk etc etc

I think that the game is utterly fantastic but I find it very very difficult to fly using the Xbox cntroller

I have bought the Saitek joystick which is compatible with Xbox 360 ... but there is nothing in the settings menu in the game to set the joystick and so it is impossible to turn left or right ( or port/starboard !! ) or to descend or to climb ----- this to me is like taking a 50 year step backwards ---- flight sims are meant to work with jostick or yolk etc etc

I think that the game is utterly fantastic but I find it very very difficult to fly using the Xbox cntroller

It's VERY hard in SIM mode with the controller and obviously arcade mode is easy. Just not enough range of motion to be gentle enough on the controls without blowing the angle of attack.

In the manual there is a section dedicated to setting up joysticks, throttles and the works. At least there is in the PS3 version's manual, guess the manual is pretty identical on both platforms.

• 2 weeks later...

in the x box version there is nothing in the set up in the game for setting up and cofiguration of a joystick so I think that I have wasted my money on the saitek joystick and I doubt whether I`ll be playing this game without a joystick no matter how good the graphics are etc I will probably just wait for Storm Of War Battle of Britain for the PC !!!

Meanwhile I`ll just watch my sons play Birds Of Prey because for me being a rw pilot it just isn`t worth playing without a joystick

Very frustrating !!!

Regards

Paul Woods

hey paul, i dont own the game myself, but ive read that the ability to program your stick is coming out in a patch. I guess they forgot to put it in for the release or something.

Sounds like a pretty funky release, ive read that the axis planes dont even have cockpits modeled, and that will be released as a patch as well.

Dont let the smell get to ya...............

The PS3 demo was great aside from too glaring flaws,

1. You're forced to unlock simulation mode, so it's basically like having to do a chore before getting to play.

2. There is no way to look around, I was completely lost as I could see was what was directly in front of me.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Can`t seem to get much help with the joystick problem for Birds of Prey on the xbox 360 -------- amazing graphics but without a joystick it is virtually useless to me

Then I bought on-line a copy of Heroes Over Europe -- has not arrived yet -- on one site it says that it immerses you in well rendered cockpits blah blah --- but i have looked at quite a lot of youtube video`s and screenshots and all of the footage and photo`s are taken outside the aircraft -- so --- do we get into the cockpit or not because if the answer is no I will ship this one back because I bought on what was said on the website about cockpits !!!

Anyone got any ideas about the two issues please ?

I personally can`t believe how a flightsim can hit the market without a joystick !! ( Birds of Prey ) -- I suppose Heroes Over Eruope supports joysticks

regards

Paul Woods

Can`t seem to get much help with the joystick problem for Birds of Prey on the xbox 360 -------- amazing graphics but without a joystick it is virtually useless to me

Then I bought on-line a copy of Heroes Over Europe -- has not arrived yet -- on one site it says that it immerses you in well rendered cockpits blah blah --- but i have looked at quite a lot of youtube video`s and screenshots and all of the footage and photo`s are taken outside the aircraft -- so --- do we get into the cockpit or not because if the answer is no I will ship this one back because I bought on what was said on the website about cockpits !!!

Anyone got any ideas about the two issues please ?

I personally can`t believe how a flightsim can hit the market without a joystick !! ( Birds of Prey ) -- I suppose Heroes Over Eruope supports joysticks

regards

Paul Woods

Sorry, I dont have BoP nor a XBOX. Though, you can look in the www.simhq.com forums. There are several which have consoles and they tested BoP there. And if I remebmer correctly they used a joystick.

Don`t know a thing about HoE.:(

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals