New Skin Question

bumfire

Now, I havent got around to adding skins into the sim yet but I was wondering.

Say I made a new skin which I am about to start doing, how easy is it to add into the game and what steps do I need to take ? because I havent seen a definitive guide to adding skins and some of the posts and threads I have seen make it sound far too complicated.

So if anyone can help me out with the easiest way of adding a skin to the game so that I get to keep all the original game skins, i.e my skin that I make doesnt overwrite any of the original skins then I would be much obliged, as I think a dedicated step by step approach to adding a skin to the sim is needed and as mentioned I would be uber happy if someone could either make a thread regarding adding skins but in such a manner that its easy for people to understand and do for themselves or reply here in this thread.

cheers in advance to anyone who may post a walkthrough on adding skins to the sim.

Now, I havent got around to adding skins into the sim yet but I was wondering.

Say I made a new skin which I am about to start doing, how easy is it to add into the game and what steps do I need to take ? because I havent seen a definitive guide to adding skins and some of the posts and threads I have seen make it sound far too complicated.

So if anyone can help me out with the easiest way of adding a skin to the game so that I get to keep all the original game skins, i.e my skin that I make doesnt overwrite any of the original skins then I would be much obliged, as I think a dedicated step by step approach to adding a skin to the sim is needed and as mentioned I would be uber happy if someone could either make a thread regarding adding skins but in such a manner that its easy for people to understand and do for themselves or reply here in this thread.

cheers in advance to anyone who may post a walkthrough on adding skins to the sim.

Very good Tutorial make by RCN Moose <<< Here>>> :thumbup:

:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

History of the Black Shark 1, 2

Le sort du Requin Noir: 1, 2, 3.

Hi,

I tried that tutorial to get my textures into a one file job, but every time I try using the CDDS program and going to the stage of "BUILD CDDS" the build goes so quick, plus I have never get the "hit any key" to close. All I get is a file in the texture folder of about 3KB and not even a CDDS file, so not sure what happend there. The read me mentions if this happens it means that a directory has a gap in it, well I checked and every thing is fine. Thats as far as I have ever got. Plus it throws in a couple of other files etc as a bonus.Timm

cdds.jpg

Edited by Timm

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. It comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” John Wayne

OK heres a very simple 7 step method of replacing the default skin without replacing any files-

1. DL and install MODman

2. Open the "CDDS Explorer" from within the MODman GUI.(do not use CDDS shortcut)

3. Locate "WorldTexturesBMP3.cdds" from within C:\Ka-50\Bazar\World

4. Extract the following files- KA-50-PAINT1-DEF-01.BMP, KA-50-PAINT1-DEF-02.BMP, KA-50-PAINT1-DEF-04.BMP, KA-50-PAINT1-DEF-06.BMP

5. Edit the skin to your liking using a paint programme of your choice. I use "Paint Shop Pro" for this utilizing the "change to target" brush.

6. When finished DO NOT repack files into CDDS.

7. Copy them into your C:\Ka-50\Bazar\TempTextures

8. Your Done :) To roll back to default, just remove your files from the temptextures folder.

Note- You can do the same for any of the other default paints as well if you like. This method also works in multiplay, but only the user will see modded paint.

Heres a pic of the default I varied into an Australian theme. Please excuse my paint skills as they are not as polished as others within this community.

ozarmy2.jpg

Edited by Kurtz

Cheers Kurtz, your walkthrough seems real nice and simple and easy for me to do :)

Your skin also loks good ;)

I will give your way a try first as it seems much simpler than the previously way that was posted earlier.

cheers

• 3 months later...

Brilliant! I just tried this for myself and it works with no problems... Thanks very much for this info!

Can anyone tell me how I can get rid of the number (51) off the side of the helicopter please, I'd like to add my own number but the 'default' one keeps showing up.

Many thanks... Jon T.