what is a good technique for landing on farps?

Bee_Sting

can u guys tell me some of your skills in landing on helo pads or farps? in dcs black shark what are good setting to have your flight stick on,how much curve,how much dead zone,etc etc? can u turn off the auto hover? everytime i try to land the AH kicks in and thtrows me off my mark!!:mad::mad::mad:

can u guys tell me some of your skills in landing on helo pads or farps? in dcs black shark what are good setting to have your flight stick on,how much curve,how much dead zone,etc etc? can u turn off the auto hover? everytime i try to land the AH kicks in and thtrows me off my mark!!:mad::mad::mad:

Settings will depend on your Individual Flightstick setup and how fine a degree of control you wish to exercise. Personally I have my inputs set to Linear with No Deadzone.

In regards to AH.......not sure I understand, but it is off by default and has to be manually engaged - will not 'kick in' as you state of it's own accord.

You are not referring to 'Auto-Descent' that disengages prior to touchdown, no?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

it wobbles at bit when i try to keep it straight

my curve is set at 10 and dead zone at 20! what i mean is when i have a fine approuch to the farp( 15meters and 50knots) as soon as i drop off to 45knots the AH comes up and moves me off my mark or approch

Take your time man! Learn to land in runways first, I'd suggest to take care on the approach rather than the point of touchdown, make sure you can make a nice straight descent while moving slowly forward, that will help you develop the skill to "aim" your landings. Don't worry about crashing, the gear is strong...

Don't focus only on landing from hover, it is harder to control the descent from a not-that-great hover, and harder to correctly "aim" your touchdown point as well. Land diagonally :)

can u turn off the auto hover? everytime i try to land the AH kicks in and thtrows me off my mark!!:mad::mad::mad:

This is incorrect, AH does not auto engage. Maybe you're experiencing rotor in-ground effect (higher lift when about 3m above ground, you get some "sliding")? But most likely you're over controlling the bird right before touchdown. Let her go a couple of times to learn her limits, bumping her into the ground is well within "specifications" :)

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

my curve is set at 10 and dead zone at 20! what i mean is when i have a fine approuch to the farp( 15meters and 50knots) as soon as i drop off to 45knots the AH comes up and moves me off my mark or approch

Also consider that when slowing down you'll eventually lose "effective translational lift" (I think that happens around 25 km/h but not sure) so you must anticipate some changes in collective and corresponding rudder/cyclic when slowing down, maybe you want to re-establish you approach after slowing down that speed.

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

Post a track of your FARP landing and we'll be able to pinpoint the exact issue and attendant solution :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The main thing that helped me was practicing on runways. I practiced a lot until I could land on one of the numbers over and over again. The trick is to control speed, heading, and decent rate all at once. Never use auto-hover when trying to land as it will kick off and shut down all of your dampeners at 4 meters above the ground. Instead try flying towards the farp while descending. You'll want to gradually slow your airspeed until you're at 1 meter off the ground, going no more than 1kph. Then just reduce power for a landing roll and immediately apply the brakes. Try not to think of it as coming to a hover before you land, and instead think of it as coming in for a slow rolling landing...I'll post a track of what I'm talking about in a second. I'm horrible at explaining things so you probably won't see what I'm talking about until you see a track of it...

The easiest way I have found to land on a FARP is to get into a hover nearby and use the auto descent while using the cyclic slightly beyond the 20 percent control range towards the pad. Occassionally I will reset the auto hover to a new position. When I touch down I drop the collective and cancel the trim. The most important thing is to keep the pad in view during descent. Hope this helps

@ btaft: How are you using the auto hover to land? Auto decent only takes you down to 4 meters. If you try and go any lower it cuts out and cancels your dampener ap functions...

@ Bee STing: Here's two tracks using what I described above. I botched the first one but it's still a good example of low speed control so I've included it anyways. The second one is what I was really talking about. Another good training idea is to fly the taxiways around an airport at low speed and altitude. Try and stay dead center of the taxiway and fly at 5kph turning only when the taxiway turns. As you get better, slow it down until you're going 1kph and are nearly hovering everywhere just making tiny corrections with trim.

...About curves and dead zones... It really depends on what type of controller you have. I have a hotas cougar and my dead zone is set to 1 while my curves are set to 15. Dead zones are more of a hardware sensitive type of thing while curves are more just personal preference...

front landing.trk

front landing 2.trk

Edited by Rhino4

Also - if there's any wind - land into it...

Here's a track of the technique mentioned above - I'm testing 1.01 and both the AP & trimming logic have been changed so I didn't trim & tried not to fight the AP. Hopefully the track will play for you...

Weta43, track doesn't play properly unfortunatelly - you dived 340kph straight into the ground.

Here is a track of what I like to call the Funnel Approach. A method to make a quick landing that is at least halfway precise.

Nice flying:thumbup:

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

And there you have it......:thumbup:

If you're in a Hurry and do not mind the odd scrape to the Paintwork and Minor Concussion, then Weta43's technique as described by Poko24 FTW!

For the more Conservative approach - all the other tracks.......:joystick:

:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The main thing that helped me was practicing on runways. I practiced a lot until I could land on one of the numbers over and over again. The trick is to control speed, heading, and decent rate all at once. .........

good idea that, thanks.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Also - if there's any wind - land into it...

Here's a track of the technique mentioned above - I'm testing 1.01 and both the AP & trimming logic have been changed so I didn't trim & tried not to fight the AP. Hopefully the track will play for you...

Can i test it too...!!!! :music_whistling:

Please if you can give us a comment on the new Trim logic. Does it make thinks like landings easier?

Edited by connos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

that don't work.... everyone on here has tried getting on the team. Apart from me who hasn't bothered cos it's a wast of time trying something that won't work.... Unless of course to have experiance on the A/C they're making.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Please if you can give us a comment on the new Trim logic. Does it make thinks like landings easier?

I'm affraid he can not tell us because of NDA (No Discusion Allowed or something like that) he signed before becoming a beta tester.

Pull the fuel shutoffs at 130km/h and 200 meters AGL. There, are you worried about a pinpoint accurate approach and landing now? Problem solved :)

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Rhino,

I did a test flight this moring to check on what you were saying. I paid a lot of attention to what I was doing. You are right the auto descent does stop just short of the pad. The first thing I noticed is that after attaining the auto hover I typically cancel trim so that I get rid of any bias that isn't part of my own control input. I also nitced that I tended to continue the descent by lowering the collective. I guess I just sort of continue the trend for the last 4m (i.e. I don't sit around and start to really think about it......thats when I get in trouble...lol)

I use a HOTAS Cougar as well and use the default curves/dead zones (except for the microstick which I use for moving the schval sensor around and have it dampened significantly). I also use the ant elev dial for the anti-torque pedals