Flying backward indications

Golgotha

I am intrigued as to why there are no physical indications, such as a -[minus] symbol in front of the airspeed indication on the HUD. This would be helpful as unlike in a real helicopter, where you have a sensation of flying in reverse, it is very difficult to be aware of in Black Shark as the forward and reverse airspeed indications are exactly the same in the HUD. The only way to really notice the difference is by looking out of the open crew access hatch at the ground.

Whilst this might not be realistic in the real KA-50, I think that in Black Shark, especially in low light conditions that a minus symbol, or even the airspeed number being a different colour, such as red, would assist no end.

However am I missing something?

John - Golgotha :pilotfly::joystick:

That little green line that extends from the center circle at sufficiently low speed does indicate the direction you're flying. At greater speeds, though, you're right - you're on your own...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

That little green line that extends from the center circle at sufficiently low speed does indicate the direction you're flying. At greater speeds, though, you're right - you're on your own...

At greater speeds (max 90km/h) you can use the drift indicator, which can be found below the artificial horizon. I flew a track for another thread in which some backwards flying is included: Download Track

Flying backwards is very difficult, especially at higher speeds where the rudder input becomes very sloppy and much anticipation is required.

I personally wish that the green line would be visible at higher speeds.

• Like 1

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real men doesn't back out away from a fight ... just ask Steven Segal

Yeah, 'cause he's too fat to move now.

But Chuck Norris, on the other hand...

Chuck Norris doesn't fly backwards. He punches the Earth until it rotates away from him.

Edited by wickedpenguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I personally wish that the green line would be visible at higher speeds.

Yeah I totally agree, especially for when I'm trying to fly straight it takes me quite a while to figure out if I'm sideslipping.

Anyways in your case, sir, after seeing your aerobatics track, I believe it would be fair to the rest of the community to have you flying the Shark by using a mouse and a blank screen, only getting instrument indications in barely audible morse code. Just to level up. Not that I'm envious or anything. :P

• Like 1

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

well, in a real heli, you'll sense what direction you're going anyway.........

right?

Depends on your midichlorian count.

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

Anyways in your case, sir, after seeing your aerobatics track, I believe it would be fair to the rest of the community to have you flying the Shark by using a mouse and a blank screen, only getting instrument indications in barely audible morse code. Just to level up. Not that I'm envious or anything. :P

LMFAO! So true...

Yeah I totally agree, especially for when I'm trying to fly straight it takes me quite a while to figure out if I'm sideslipping.

ROFL! Best compliment ever! :D

Forum | Videos | DCS:BS Demo1 / Demo2 | YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]