anyone try DCS in linux?

th3flyboy

Anybody? I'm going to most likely attempt to run it in WINE when I get a linux boot up and running. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of if it is going to work, or if it would just be a waste of time / activation.

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP

It would be interesting to see (hear) if someone made it run in a virtual machine ( VMWare / Xen / ... ). If it would work, I'd love to know what kind of performance hit it would be, as compared to running it straight under Windows.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Hi there,

I would imagine that, considering the performance we see with Blackshark even on powerful machines, virtualisation would provide poor results.

VMWorkstation and Virtualbox are very very good (they now have access to 3d graphics) however I would not consider running Blackshark within them as the performance would be mediocre at best.

Running various server type vm's on VMWorkstation/Virtualbox (not at the same time ) each has proved, on an e6600 8gb ram 3 x 750gb hdd's, to be adequate although definately slower than the physical versions. I can only guess that the extra power required to deal with the 3d graphics may be much more noticeable.

As for Linux......well I can only hope that DCS may, one day, port the series over to Linux. Running under Wine or Cedega may allow the game to be run reasonably however I would imagine nothing beats native support (and as mentioned would allow a complete move over to Linux).

Anyway that was my first post and what a good subject to post on - Blackshark and Linux - two of my favourite things!

Take it easy.

Si

• Like 1

In that case, I ask you ED, please do what is needed to get it so we can run dcs on linux. There are those of us who want to go linux only, and dump windows, but can't because certain pieces of software won't work in linux.

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP

It would be interesting to see (hear) if someone made it run in a virtual machine ( VMWare / Xen / ... ). If it would work, I'd love to know what kind of performance hit it would be, as compared to running it straight under Windows.

I'm working with virtual machines under other circumstainces, but I think I can assure you that you dont want to take that route until you can accept very low FPS and low quality settings to make it run.

(Example: .NET/VS + WPF feels *quite* sluggish when you work with it - and thats just "the fancy GUI" it uses.)

I don't know linux that well unfortunately, but I would assume that you get much better performance with Wine etc.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I fully expect that running DCS:BS in a virtual machine would be a performance hit. But if it would run at all, it would then be interesting to see what could be done with a cluster of linux machines running it in a VM.

I don't know if the cluster could be made to share the load of executing the code, etc. If so, there's a lot of older hardware sitting around that could be networked together... ;)

If nothing else, it might work for hosting a dedicated server (I'm assuming the graphics can be turned way down on a server...)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I fully expect that running DCS:BS in a virtual machine would be a performance hit. But if it would run at all, it would then be interesting to see what could be done with a cluster of linux machines running it in a VM.

I don't know if the cluster could be made to share the load of executing the code, etc. If so, there's a lot of older hardware sitting around that could be networked together... ;)

If nothing else, it might work for hosting a dedicated server (I'm assuming the graphics can be turned way down on a server...)

I would assume the cluster can improve CPU/Memory/Diskoperations - however graphic performance wont improve.

In that case you might want to try a Blade Workstation - which require some 2-5mbps bandwidth to transfer live feed for the monitor over the network.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I don't think that there will be a linux version or anything playable (be it performance or running at all) using wine or virtualization in the near future.

Apart from this, I'd love it. See, the hardest thing was not to buy HOTAS or TrackIR, but creating a Windows partition again ;).

This came uses the DirectX API's... correct? So porting it would be a serious undertaking since they would have to re-code the entire engine to use OpenGL as DirectX doesn't exist in Linux.

Win 10pro x64 | i5 2500 | 16GB RAM | GTX1060 6GB | Logitech G940 | Tir5 + TC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wine does a good job at running DirectX under Linux already. Especially because DCS uses DirectX 9 at most, this part shouldn't be the biggest problem. Like a previous poster, I'm guessing it's mostly starforce which will not like Wine/Cedega/etc.

MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X2 555 @Phenom II X4 B55 BE, 3.2 GHz quad-core, Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, OCZ Gold Edition DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit Low-Voltage. Budget = Cheap = Good :D