confused and down

i really like this game, i'm a big fan of arma2 and haven't played it a lot trying so hard to learn the weapon system on this ak-50. Went through the manual and studies the target panels, shkval but i can't for the life of me, understand the rocket and cannon system, auto tracking, fixed vs. moving cannon, gun sight, laser range finder, i even checked the videos but the producer went so quickly through them and doesn't explain much, i'm honestly getting discouraged and not motivated any more, could you please help me with links, videos, clear instructions on the above. I have mastered the ATGM and made a simple mission trying to apply what i read but really don't know if i'm doing it right or not? please help. Another think that confuses me in the manual is the auto/manual weapon control switch, the manual suggests to leave it on auto but if i do so, i won't be able to fire "no C would show on shkval" but when i put it up, the "C" shows up? :helpsmilie:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

http://www.war-hawks.net

is recruiting.

http://www.war-hawks.net/private/index.php/recruitform

When you look at your hud you'll see a circle indicating where your weapons are projected to land. So when you use that knob by the laser switch you can set it to fixed, meaning the gun is locked in place and your sight will stay pretty much in place, or tracking which means it'll move with your targeting system. Pretty much the only reason I can see for using fixed is if you're strafing. If you locked a target and you're missing, watch where the rounds land and adjust your aim.

Rockets always fire from the fixed position so again look for the green circle and that's where you're shooting. They're harder to use and I still can't use them effectively, but damned if I can't hit things with the gun. Make a mission with a convoy of UAZs if you want to practice strafing.

On auto/manual the C shows on manual because the weapon will fire whether or not it has a target and the ability to hit it. You can guide missiles on manual using the screen to aim.

Oh and the laser. You need the laser to get range. This range is used by your weapons to calculate its firing formula and shows range on your targeting screen. It does burn out though so switch it off when you're not using it.

I didn't know that Kalashnikov made helicopters...kidding. I had too I couldn't resist. :megalol: Welcome to my world. But I am not entirely sure how to fix that either since I am still learning. Yeah yeah it's at my own pace and I don't have all day to play...I have all night :pilotfly:. I am sure that one of the experts on these forums can help you out. Sorry ;)

Edit: He beat me to it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EtherealN: I will promptly perform a sex change and offer my hand in marriage to whomever

Watch the producer's notes. Search the forum for them, they're easy to find.

i really like this game, i'm a big fan of arma2 and haven't played it a lot trying so hard to learn the weapon system on this ak-50. Went through the manual and studies the target panels, shkval but i can't for the life of me, understand the rocket and cannon system, auto tracking, fixed vs. moving cannon, gun sight, laser range finder, i even checked the videos but the producer went so quickly through them and doesn't explain much, i'm honestly getting discouraged and not motivated any more, could you please help me with links, videos, clear instructions on the above. I have mastered the ATGM and made a simple mission trying to apply what i read but really don't know if i'm doing it right or not? please help. Another think that confuses me in the manual is the auto/manual weapon control switch, the manual suggests to leave it on auto but if i do so, i won't be able to fire "no C would show on shkval" but when i put it up, the "C" shows up? :helpsmilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Stand Up, pry the Flight-Stick from your Sweaty and Clammy fingertips, Chisel the throttle from your Digits, remove the Viewing Device and attendant peripherals from your Cranium and STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!

On the way to the kitchen to fix yourself a Brew, LEAVE THE PROZAC WELL ENOUGH ALONE! Do not kick the Cat, feed the Pet Hamster to the said Cat, or harbour illicit thoughts about the Pet Pony and the Industrial Glue Factory........

O.K. - Settled, then?

In a Frame-of-Mind now hopefully condusive to a lesson well taught, have a look at the following post:

How to Take-Off and Blow Stuff Up

Link: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2626185/1.html

Should get you on your way in understanding the rudimentaries a bit better. After that, better to take one aspect at a time, master it and move on to the next, rather than attempting to Master all at once - leads to sensory overload :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Or if you like, join us on the server (click signature) one evening and we'll give you a runthrough on the most basic stuff. Would require Teamspeak so we can use voice which is much more efficient than text :)

Dont worry if you dont have a microphone - then you will have to use text, but we can answer you and guide you over voice. :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

an easy explaination of what the "Auto / manual" weapons mode switch does:

In Auto: the selected weapons parameters are taken into consideration, and launch authorisation "C" will only be givin if the target is within paramters (Range , deflection)

In Manual: the selected weapon can be launched at any time without needing to be within parameters

In manual , you need to be careful to actually be within the Max range of the weapon (8KM's for vhikrs, 4 KM's for cannon etc..), and for the ATGM, make sure to keep the two circles alighned during the entire flight of the weapon or it could loose guidance.

It is better to use "Auto" mode, as that way you are not wasting ammo on long shots ...on the other hand, Manual mode can let you get off that shot at slightly longer range..

thank you so much for all the tips and help, i will focus on one thing at a time and will keep you updated on my progress. I have never touched such a real flight sim before but truly this game made me study the manual and online literature. I have watched producers notes but they don't show what switches to turn.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

is recruiting.

^^^^

And to make it even more clear at to how bad and tough it is, real life ka-50 pilots use this sim as well (What for I don't know, but I know they do :D )

And yes, one thing at a time is the best way to start. Just keep in mind, you should think of everything as being connected.

Eg. you learn how to fly accurately - accurate flying is what is needed to aim your guns and rockets well.

Your navigation system is connected to the shkval - so it can slew the camera onto a target that's saved in your nav system - and so on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I have a question regarding this from the manual:

Using the 2A42 Cannon with Auto-tracking To use the 2A42 30mm on-board cannon with auto-tracking, perform the following steps:

1. Select the 2A42 cannon. This will display the cannon‟s range of motion as a “gate” box on the HUD. The box will be biased to the right because the cannon is mounted on the right side of the helicopter.

2. Maneuver the helicopter to place the target / target marker within the gate.

3. Confirm that target is locked and is being auto-tracked.

4. Once the target is within attack range (2000 m for cannon), and assuming the target / target marker is within the gate box, the “C” symbol will be displayed. Press cannon fire button and hold it until the burst is completed. Release button and press and hold again if another burst is needed to destroy the target.

5. If the gate on the HUD starts flashing, this indicates that you have reached maximum range of motion for the cannon and firing will cease. Fly the helicopter back on target to attack with cannon again.

6. When the target is destroyed, or the attack prohibited “X” symbol appears, break off the attack.

(3). How to lock? using Shkval or holding enter?

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

Don't bunch ArmA 2 in with actual sims please.

huh? that wasn't my intention, i was saying that BS took me away from playing my favorite game arma2, sorry if that hurt your feelings and may loose sleep tonight over it. :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

huh? that wasn't my intention, i was saying that BS took me away from playing my favorite game arma2, sorry if that hurt your feelings and may loose sleep tonight over it. :doh:

Looks like i'm not the one actually get worked up over it.

I have a question regarding this from the manual:

Using the 2A42 Cannon with Auto-tracking To use the 2A42 30mm on-board cannon with auto-tracking, perform the following steps:

1. Select the 2A42 cannon. This will display the cannon‟s range of motion as a “gate” box on the HUD. The box will be biased to the right because the cannon is mounted on the right side of the helicopter.

2. Maneuver the helicopter to place the target / target marker within the gate.

3. Confirm that target is locked and is being auto-tracked.

4. Once the target is within attack range (2000 m for cannon), and assuming the target / target marker is within the gate box, the “C” symbol will be displayed. Press cannon fire button and hold it until the burst is completed. Release button and press and hold again if another burst is needed to destroy the target.

5. If the gate on the HUD starts flashing, this indicates that you have reached maximum range of motion for the cannon and firing will cease. Fly the helicopter back on target to attack with cannon again.

6. When the target is destroyed, or the attack prohibited “X” symbol appears, break off the attack.

Thanks.

Well, you can do it in different ways: you can look for the target with the Shkval or HMS and lock it, or not if it is not moving. Then turn to it and fire while it is inside the limits box.

If you pilot better than using the Shkval, you can press [P] and use "boresight".

Vista, Suerte y al Toro!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The only instrument that can 'lock' or track a target onboard the Ka-50 is the shkval. :)

Everything else is 'manual aiming', and sometimes 'assisted manual aiming' (if you use the gunsight mode)

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm a reasonably experienced flight simmer, but I'd been out of it for a long time before recently purchasing a better computer. Needless to say, I had to have DCS: Black Shark, as I'd long daydreamed about a serious Ka-50 sim, it being my favorite helicopter of all, the last word in bizarre and gnarly Soviet outside-the-box military aerospace engineering, and was quite pleased to find out one existed.

At first I was pretty discouraged, too. On the one hand, I wasn't going to play it in "game" mode, as that would defeat the purpose of having this particular piece of software, but on the other, learning it step-by-step over the course of months or years, including engine startup, radio frequencies, and so forth was not terribly appealing either.

I settled on a middle ground. I set the avionics and flight model to full real, but allowed myself radio assist, tooltips, and labels, which I'm coming to depend upon much less. I then set about learning to fly the helicopter passably, operate the Shkval and HMS, and operate the weapons systems, all in small-scale self-created missions. I printed out the key commands, and also a condensed list of the really crucial ones for basic combat and flight, watched various tutorials on Youtube, and got to the point where I could take off, fly to the target area, acquire targets, and destroy them. Now I am working with the datalink a bit, and have successfully commanded attacks by wingmen using datalink information.

I'm not ready for serious multiplayer, and I probably never will be, but the "baby steps" approach has been extremely rewarding, and I certainly feel like I'm getting the maximum amount of challenge and realism without it becoming a job, rather than entertainment and mind candy about a subject dear to me. Which, since it's doubtful that I'll ever fly any kind of aircraft in real life, and certainly not a Ka-50, is pretty much exactly what I wanted. And as long as my interest is captured and I continue making progress, I may get around to the engines, radios, and so forth eventually.

This game is at such an at least initially overwhelming level of detail and realism that even an amateurish and shaky attack on stationary T-72s that is successfully executed can be more richly satisfying than spectacular achievements in many other games and sims, and this has kept me going with it.

So, focus on what particularly interests you about the game, learn how to do it incrementally while having a good time, and ignore, at least for the moment, what doesn't. DCS: Black Shark is very scalable in that regard.

Anyhow, hope this helps, and best wishes.

• Like 2

Nicely said mate..

Don't under estimate your ability or skill to join in on multiplayer..

99% of us (myself included) are in the same range as yourself in terms of flying ability... and we're all just in it to have fun as well; you won't be shunned or grilled on a server for asking a question, as everyone is pretty happy to help out (even if to just show off their own little niche piece of knowledge ;) )...it can actually be a very good learning environment if you hit a server with the right folk on it!

Nicely said mate..

Don't under estimate your ability or skill to join in on multiplayer..

99% of us (myself included) are in the same range as yourself in terms of flying ability... and we're all just in it to have fun as well; you won't be shunned or grilled on a server for asking a question, as everyone is pretty happy to help out (even if to just show off their own little niche piece of knowledge ;) )...it can actually be a very good learning environment if you hit a server with the right folk on it!

Oh yeah, and one server that is a very good learning ground is Battlefield day XXX made by panzertard.

For the beginning pilot it may be way to hard to fly there alone, but if Panzer is there your in luck. 9 out of 10 times he just cant resist helping new people trough the procedures needed to safely take out an target on his Battlefield.

And once you can take out an target there whitout being shot, hell you can do it pretty much anywhere.

(If you happen to see me flying around anywhere, feel free to ask a thing or two, ill gladly help you whit what i know. i can often be found at Panzertards Battlefield or at an server called Insurgent Sweep)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Gotta say i am totally surprised at the fun that can be had flying this thing. Hope the manufacturer has got plenty of Rotors in stock as this particular pilot is ham fisted and not gentle.:megalol:

No real reason for posting only to say thanks to Dev and beta teams for a cool product and from what i see a relatively bug free product ( I am a Beta Tester on the new Concorde for FSX) and believe me in that platform i have seen bug riddled software released to customers. Thankfully, the team i am working with now include some grest designers like Andrew Wilson and Leftiris Kalamaris from SSTSIM and PMDG respectively and learnt a great deal from the masters. Well done guys i love it and although not a great fan of the ageing A10 will still purchase it knowing the design quality. well done all.

Panzertard, look forward to joining you on your server sometime. Might even give running a server a shot if i get to learn about it enough therefore expanding the pilots choices and hopefully the interest in the sim.

Rattlesnake.

You can do it. Read & Practice often and at a point you will get it.

It is a mystic experience :ufo:

I was thinking the other day that I'd 'got it'. Can strafe and hit soldiers, land on a block of flats, creep b/w buildings 1 m off the ground, dodge SAMs etc:joystick:

Then I watched the musical flight under Replay Tracks.

Man, I'm not even close.

Totally worth a look if you haven't checked it out.

not confused and happy

guys, i finally mastered the cannon :joystick: now i can blow targets with ATGM and cannon with auto tracking, very easy. Now i'm focusing on rockets and since it's fixed i have to learn flying smoothly, i found the cannon way easier than than rockets. Afterward, i'll be focusing on ABRIS :book:. Can't wait to :pilotfly: online once i get internet. I wanted to thank everybody who dedicated their time to help me.:beer:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.