Arcade Mode missions

WarM

Hello. I just got this game not too long ago and right now I've been having fun playing the instant action mission until I finally completed it last night. Quite honestly I'm not sure if I'm ready to start reading the huge manual and trying to figure out how to play the real way quite yet so is there any way to make the other missions arcade style as well?

For a second question, where would I go to find out what the medals are for? I have like 5 of them now and don't know why I got them.

Try it! And have patience. If you read the entire Rookie thread after going through a few of the training tutorials (pausing it and writing some notes for when it's your turn) you'll be flying in no time.

As for fighting theres a great training mission to download and written step by step guide that goes with it. It's called something like 'flying & fighting beginners guide' - I can't find it but I'm sure someone will post it.

You don't have to be a genius to do it and get a lot out of it. I have no real clue about the ABRIS or datalink but still manage to be successful in missions with what I know and standard wingman radio orders. I don't think I've ever hit anything metal with a rocket either!

I'll learn all the other stuff eventually obviously, but don't think you have to know absolutely all of it to have a great deal of fun! :thumbup:

Try the sim, just don't get frustrated. Find a start up list and print it out, then watch the tutorial once or twice to get orientated. After that try to start up the helicopter on your own. Eventually you'll be able to start that thing in no time. Took me like 10 times before I had the list practicely memorized (though I always forget the damn radios).

Anyways don't be scared off by the sim mode, it's totally worth it to know in the back of your head that if you ever came across a blackshark irl, you could totally start the APU.

Oh and don't feel bad using the english cockpit. If you were a real pilot, you'd be able to read the damn controls.

I think he should start by using win-home...

I don't think I'd have ever had the inclination to start this sim if there was not this short cut. I am currently learning the sequence now and am nearly there but thank god I didn't have to start it up manually every time when I was learning the rest of the sim.

When I started I just wanted to get in the air and shooting stuff! (not with rockets though :()

IMHO of course, but I think WarM sounds like I was!

It's funny, I didn't know there was a shortcut until after I figured out how to start the damn thing lol. You may be right, if you're looking to blow stuff up right away then autostarting may be a better idea so as not to lose interest. Still I liked it but I geek out on stuff like that lol. If I can say one bad thing about all the switches in the cockpit it's that they are making me want to buy a damn TrackIR bad.

• Like 1

It's funny, I didn't know there was a shortcut until after I figured out how to start the damn thing lol. You may be right, if you're looking to blow stuff up right away then autostarting may be a better idea so as not to lose interest. Still I liked it but I geek out on stuff like that lol. If I can say one bad thing about all the switches in the cockpit it's that they are making me want to buy a damn TrackIR bad.

Me too on the TIR thing, looks amazing (I'm worried my girlfriend will laugh at me all rigged up though!).

WarM, it's your purchase, you play how you want to.

To play all missions in game mode, go to Options section from main screen, select gameplay options and click on Game at the bottom, and Apply to all missions.

If you do get bored of playing rail shooter :smilewink: however, there's a great introduction/guide for beginners to the sim side here:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2626185/STICKY_Tutorial_How_to_take_of.html#Post2626185

Like a Dummies Guide to Black Shark, will have you up and killing stuff in 10 minutes. Can't recommend it highly enough.

As for the medals, I think they're points based, whereas the promotions are flying hours based?

You might have to look around forums, all I know is that once I started bombing ships, they couldn't give me medals fast enough.

Edited by Huckle
Forgot something.
  • Like 1

My g/f laughs every time use my TIR but I have ben using it for years and I couldn't care .. once I answered the door forgetting I had a cap and trackclip on and, still, I am stoically committed to my TIR :-) The TIR makes a whole world of difference ... eventually you forget it is there and just look around naturally and you only notice when you *can't* use it in a game, not when you can.

• Like 1

P45 Platinum, Q9550 @ 3.33Ghz, HD6970 w/2gb, X-Fi Titanium PCIE, 4gb RAM, ANTEC 1000watt PSU, Lian Li PC-A71 case, Win7 64bit, CH Throttle and Fighterstick, Saitek Pro Pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro, 3 x Samsung SyncMaster 2443

Huckle +1 - thats the link I meant! If it wasn't for that tutorial I'd probably still be flying round in circles doing nothing but attracting fire.

Triangle - ok, I have confidence now! She's marrying me in a month so I don't think she'll leave me. Which TIR should I buy?

TIR5 which has the highest resolution and 6 degrees of freedom plus i strongly advise the TrackClip Pro (it hooks onto your headphones and is much more accurate than the standard clip - plus you are less likely to answer the door wearing it). You won't regret it - takes a couple of hours and it feels completely natural.

P45 Platinum, Q9550 @ 3.33Ghz, HD6970 w/2gb, X-Fi Titanium PCIE, 4gb RAM, ANTEC 1000watt PSU, Lian Li PC-A71 case, Win7 64bit, CH Throttle and Fighterstick, Saitek Pro Pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro, 3 x Samsung SyncMaster 2443

Thanks for the help. Yeah I've downloaded everything already, manuals, videos, etc, but then I got to the auto-hover part and couldn't get it and decided I didn't like the game ( I hate not being able to see what is happening outside of the helicopter in real mode). It takes too long to get into the fight. So then I played the instant action and got to where I loved the game again, but I want to play more missions on arcade to get me psyched into wanting to learn to fly the real way again. It's hard for me to read all of that info and try to remain interested and focused.

Got to have more patience fella... otherwise it's HAWX for you!

You'll get it, just practise. It's such an acheivement when you acomplish even the most basic of steps. Trust me, give it some serious effort for one week and I promise I'll eat Joey's hat if you still feel the same.

WarM,

You don't really have to read anything. Forget the manual for now - just have it on standby for when you get questions.

Then decide on one thing that you'll learn, run it's tutorial, then test it and see if you can figure it out. Don't ever learn two systems at the same time. And of course, thereby you get to fly most all the time!

Then, once you have covered a few systems and feel reasonably certain that you are able to survive (not necessarily act like a real-life pilot, that comes later) you can make yourself a few missions. Just fire up the mission editor, place yourself a helicopter at an aerodrome somewhere (not FARP, 'cause it's more work to get a FARP operational), and then spam the surroundings with hostile units. Makes a nice ground for practicing all you've learned. And using the mission editor to achieve this is fairly simple to learn - it's how I got into the Ka-50 training properly.

While doing this, small things will crop up that you realize you don't understand and need to practice - then switch focus to those things. When they're done, get back to flying.

The most important thing in learning to fly is: one thing at a time. There's a reason why I repeat that. If you try to learn how to fly, navigate, and fight at the same time you'll have a sensor overload and just pure frustration. Start by flying, and when you are able to land, take off, hover and do all those things with a reasonable amount of surety, you switch to navigation. Once you know how to navigate waypoints, that is the time when you start to really practice fighting. Again though - one thing at a time. So select cannon and practice handling that one. Then Vikhr's or rockets and so on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

WarM,

You don't really have to read anything. Forget the manual for now - just have it on standby for when you get questions.

Then decide on one thing that you'll learn, run it's tutorial, then test it and see if you can figure it out. Don't ever learn two systems at the same time. And of course, thereby you get to fly most all the time!

Then, once you have covered a few systems and feel reasonably certain that you are able to survive (not necessarily act like a real-life pilot, that comes later) you can make yourself a few missions. Just fire up the mission editor, place yourself a helicopter at an aerodrome somewhere (not FARP, 'cause it's more work to get a FARP operational), and then spam the surroundings with hostile units. Makes a nice ground for practicing all you've learned. And using the mission editor to achieve this is fairly simple to learn - it's how I got into the Ka-50 training properly.

While doing this, small things will crop up that you realize you don't understand and need to practice - then switch focus to those things. When they're done, get back to flying.

The most important thing in learning to fly is: one thing at a time. There's a reason why I repeat that. If you try to learn how to fly, navigate, and fight at the same time you'll have a sensor overload and just pure frustration. Start by flying, and when you are able to land, take off, hover and do all those things with a reasonable amount of surety, you switch to navigation. Once you know how to navigate waypoints, that is the time when you start to really practice fighting. Again though - one thing at a time. So select cannon and practice handling that one. Then Vikhr's or rockets and so on.

Excellent advice. That's exactly how I have learnt and it has worked very well so far :-)

I took my time before I even touched the trigger. About 15 flight hours or so. I started, flew landed/crashed etc... Can be fun too.

My advice for hover practicing is: Open the mission editor, choose an airfield close to the sea and fill it up with stationary vehicles, like various planes and busses. Take of from whereever you desire and fly across the airport. Then try to take a look at those beautiful planes while already in the air, that park on the airfield. Slowly close up, hover, descend ascend, try another perspective. Test your skills by hovering as close as you can on cockpit level. Next step, try to correctly align between two parking planes and land between them. Then take a trip to the city and fly and hover between buildings and try to land on rooftops. In this way you have a lot of visual clues of your speed, position and heigth, because of those objects surrounding you.

Add a few oilrigs close to the coast and a fleet that passes parallel to the coastline with 20 kp/h. So you even have moving objects to land on. This makes it a little bit harder. After having successfully landed on the carrier, try a frigate. Much more difficult and a side approach on that frigate makes your skills better. And you'll never get bored, like it can be when landing on a field.

All of these above improve your accelerating decelerating, ascending, descending and hovering skills. And getting bored is not part of this training. But if it for one reason does, eject. Thats always fun :smilewink:.

Excuse my english, but I'm typing this in record time and don't wanna check my misspellings now ;).

I used to love her, but I had to kill her

I had to put her, six feet under

And I can still hear her complain

A tribute to BBetty and NNadja

:bye_3: