G940 and the trimmer

My current setup is with the Saitek X52 PRO & Saitek rudder pedals. Whilst it works fine with Blackshark (I still tend to use Flight Director) I've longed for the hold feature of FFB and the G940 seemed the perfect solution.

The G940 is out in a few days and I'm seriously considering buying one.

The snag is that the only game I would be using it with would be Blackshark and I'm very uncertain as to how well it will work with either the original trimmer or the new trimmer implementation.

My concern is that you still (apparently) can't disconnect the rudder from the trimmer. My understanding is therefore that the G940 joystick will hold position but I will have to recenter the rudder either quickly (original) or at my leisure (new) but with a lockout on the controls until I do.

I'm also concerned that the new trimmer implementation won't work at all with the FFB because the joystick will never recenter if trimmed away from neutral.

I heard that Wags has been testing the G940 but can anyone comment on how well the G940 will work with BS and how BS needs to be setup?

Sorry, not much help, DragonRR. I just haven't had the time to test it with BS yet. I am hoping to get that done this weekend and will be glad to let you know then what I think.

I did do some instant action flying just to see if the HOTAS was working (it was) but still have not figured out the FFB settings needed.

I do know that if you don't cover the deadman sensor hole on the right side of the stick handle, when you let go of the stick it WILL forcefully reset to center and that will cause a fairly violent change in flight parameters (is that a master understatement or what? :) ... I've got a bit of black electrical tape over mine now and it no longer does that. I've yet to see what impact that has on day-to-day flying though.

For what it's worth, I initially do like the look and feel of the G940 and the software seems to be pretty good. I too am coming from an X52 Pro and Pedals and so far like the G940 better. Of course, that's based on all of 15 minutes stick time in BS. Need lots of RTFM :book:

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

It may not be something that can be controlled by software. Since it is there as a safety function (in the designer's mind), they may have the stick built where that function is hard-wired into the electronics, rather than programmable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

The sensor isn't odd (the MS FFB2 has the same thing), but what it does when you release it is (centering). The FFB2 simply disables the motors, effectively leaving the stick unsupported. Whether it's then so loose that it can move under its own weight might be down to individual sticks (my example still has enough 'stiction' that it will stay where you put it).

I would imagine that the centering behaviour should be alterable in the software.

The sensor isn't odd (the MS FFB2 has the same thing), but what it does when you release it is (centering). The FFB2 simply disables the motors, effectively leaving the stick unsupported. Whether it's then so loose that it can move under its own weight might be down to individual sticks (my example still has enough 'stiction' that it will stay where you put it).

I would imagine that the centering behaviour should be alterable in the software.

Having just tried an old MS FFB at work I can confirm the MS stick behaves exactly as you describe. The G940 however, according to blaster, seems to do the opposite "violently" recentering when you take your hand off.. exactly what you don't want!