TrackIR 4 or 5?

So I'm saving up money for a TrackIR for Black Shark, and I was just wondering if it's worth the extra ~$60 to get a TrackIR 5 instead of a TrackIR 4? I play with 1680x1050 resolution, and I guess I'm not sure if the extra resolution from the TrackIR 5 will make any difference at that resolution.

Anyone with a TrackIR have any advice?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My rig: i7 3770K oc'd to 4.7 GHz | Asus Maximus 5 Extreme mobo | 4 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3 | 2 x EVGA GTX 680 in SLI | Asus Xonar Phoebus audio card | OCZ Vertex 4 512 GB SSD

My peripherals: Dell U3011 30" at 2560x1600 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD 558 | Razer Black Widow | Razer Imperator

my advice - buy the trackir4 device with track clip pro - use the trackir 5 software.

i have the 4 with trackclip pro and when i moved to ver5 software the range and accuracy of the system went up. I used to have to hunch forward to get tracking smoothly without skipping etc - ver5 solved all that for me.

my experiential 2cents.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

The resolution change is on the Track IR Camera itself, meaning it's a bit more capable of picking up small changes. It also has a slightly wider FOV if I recall. I sprung for the TIR 5 as it was my first Track IR and I'd wanted one since the days of being poor in college.

my advice - buy the trackir4 device with track clip pro - use the trackir 5 software.

i have the 4 with trackclip pro and when i moved to ver5 software the range and accuracy of the system went up. I used to have to hunch forward to get tracking smoothly without skipping etc - ver5 solved all that for me.

Agree :thumbup:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I went straight from the TIR3 to TIR5. I found the 5 (with TrackClip PRO) to be dramatically more stable (less on-screen jitter) and the wider view to dramatically reduce track loss incidents. Note that your screen resolution will not alter how stable the view is from the TrackIR, only the resolution of the TrackIR itself will do this, and the 5 is tops in this category. From the research I did before purchase, it seemed that the improvement gap between the 4 and 5 was less than between the 3 and 4, but that the improvements were mostly worth the price delta. When panning the cockpit, I find that I want the absolute most stable and accurate positioning possible (fewer headaches), and for 6 DOF use I want the widest view possible; so if the 5 is an option, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Edited by ddahlstrom

My TIR4 broke down after 2.5 years, so I bought a TIR5. You can notice the smoothness in 5 over 4. It is small but it is there. Especially noticeable when you zoom your view in and a very small head movement translates into a large movement in game. Would I upgrade from 4 to 5 if I owned the 4? No. Would I spend $60 more if I had no TIR to get TIR5? Yes! My 2 loonies anyway.

ive had all Tir's since 2, and Like someone said above.

In order of precedence. Clip makes a bigger difference than different version.

TIR5+Clip

TIR4+Clip

TIR5 alone

TIR4 alone

However, you can always buy the clip later, it is very expensive to upgrade TIR (as i have found). So maybe get TIR5, and later you might have cash for a clip. :juggle:

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

If anyone is interested in buying my TrackIR4 - works in perfect condition and it is LIKE NEW, then feel free to PM me. I'm selling my brother's TrackIR 4 - he never got into the world of simulation so that TrackIR literally has less than 3 hour of usage.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've owned them all, and I can easily say the TiR5 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 4. It may not seem like much by the written stats. But after you've used each one for so long, you can tell the differences. The 5 is VERY precise. It doesn't get that error "float" that the 3 and 4 had that made you need to recenter on occasion. I have my curves CRANKED with the 5, and that was not possible with the level of precision the 4 offered.

My feedback, the 4 is a great device and if you don't know better you won't know what you're gaining when you get the 5. However the 5 is easily worth the extra $$$.

My advice, get the 5. The 5 is the result of them fixing all the previous issues, and then really making the device the best it can be. It's like up through the 4 they were just experimenting. Get the 5. Then wait for the 7 or 8 before you look at them again. :-) It'll be a while before it gets significantly better than this.

My TIR 5 arrived yesterday. I sold my TIR4 to a squad mate for 70 beans. After having used the 5 for several hours in Black Shark and LockOn IMHO I think that the TIR5 is great and better then the TIR4 but for me not by leaps and bounds.

I have also used every TIR from the 1st one to the last. All excellent products. The 4 is also an excellent device and properly setup has a minimum of issues. I do not regret the purchase and I agree with much of what smoky posted. I just don't feel that the difference feels quite as significant as he does.

Out

That's a good point. I have made my curves steeper than I had them with 4 as well because of the higher precision.

It's so good I only use one profile now instead of one for racing, one for flying, etc. Once you get it dialed in, it feels "real" everywhere. Takes about an hour or so to get just right. But it's worth it. And the new tools are great too.