TouchPal - Touchscreen Cockpit

Syntax looks fine so far, and I can read the source, so I think I'm ok. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing some tool to assist in doing this. Basically, what I'm trying to do is create an 800x600 design that does not incorporate the ABRIS and Shkval. I would also like to have this work in client mode, so I can use it on a small touchscreen panel PC that I have. I will likely also remove any of the keyboard emulation switches since I understand these won't work in client mode (I guess you'd need some kind of touchbuddy-like server app to handle those--or wait until ED supports them over the network, right?).

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Syntax looks fine so far, and I can read the source, so I think I'm ok. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing some tool to assist in doing this. Basically, what I'm trying to do is create an 800x600 design that does not incorporate the ABRIS and Shkval. I would also like to have this work in client mode, so I can use it on a small touchscreen panel PC that I have. I will likely also remove any of the keyboard emulation switches since I understand these won't work in client mode (I guess you'd need some kind of touchbuddy-like server app to handle those--or wait until ED supports them over the network, right?).

Yes, they would require an update to TouchPal to support client/server mode for keyboard controls. If the action doesn't have a physical switch or button in the cockpit it will probably never be support via LUA from ED.

Thanks. One more question. How are folks dealing with the comms menus. When using two monitors, the comms menu ends up on the second monitor, but I can only see a small fragment of it overlaying the ABRIS. The rest is obscured. Are there any work-arounds for this?

I have not found one aside from memorizing the comms menu. :pilotfly:

I have also in the past positioned the TouchPal screen "below" the main screen. But then I could not see the controls position graphic. I decided missing the comms menu was less impact.

I have also in the past positioned the TouchPal screen "below" the main screen. But then I could not see the controls position graphic. I decided missing the comms menu was less impact.

I experimented a bit with arranging my monitors vertically instead of horizontally in the Windows desktop and much preferred the vertical setup as it allowed me to see the comms menu, mission success box and "no cockpit view" overhead lights on my main monitor (I wasn't worried about losing the controls popup as I never use it anyway).

Unfortunately, however, I had to go back to using a horizontal setup as the vertical one had a major impact on frame rates. With three monitors horizontally I get 28fps at the start of the quick mission compared to just 17 when I use the vertical arrangement. I don't really understand why the drop is so dramatic as the vertical arrangement only has 1.7% more pixels (2162688 compared with 2125824 for the horizontal arrangement).

One advantage of a three monitor setup over a two monitor one is that you don't entirely lose the comms menu anyway - it just appears on your Shkval screen instead of your main one.

Cheers,

DD

Nice. I just tried putting my secondary monitor (virtually) under my main monitor, and this does in fact work! I now see the comms menu in my main menu again. After recalculating resolutions, screen dimensions, and the ABRIS and Shkval positions, everything appears to function properly in the TP screen. Like you, I have lost the control window, but that's not a big deal. Fortunately, I don't seem to lose any framerates by doing this (I'm using just two monitors). The only weirdness is having to move my mouse cursor down to get to my side monitor.

DD

Could you please post by attachment your monitor lua file, your TP xml file your scripts/options files (or the portions of them that locates the various screens) so that I can understand how to run 4 monitors with BS BSVP and TP.

thanks

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

@ Gadroc

Hi Gadroc :

here is a tentative I made to add some guide to touchpal xml syntax.

Fr is comment in french langage

GB is comment in US langage (sorry if some incorrect grammar)

is for exemples

1- Could you look at it to verify there is no error ?

2- Could you correct it if needed ?

3- Could you post it back after that ?

4- Feel free to use, adapt, transform and include it if you want to upload on touchpal site and in distribution. No need to ask me for that.

I sent it as pure text without formating to ease editing.

Final version will be formated to embed it.

----------------------

besides one question : is the syntax below correct ?

or do I have to write PushedAction for KU:0 (state 1) ?

and Will this simulate continuous press or not if you maintain left mouse button or press on touchscreen ?

<Button Name="ABRISBrightnessUp">

<NetworkID>517</NetworkID>

<Width>46</Width>

<Height>43</Height>

<DefaultValue>0</DefaultValue>

<State>

<StateValue>0</StateValue>

<PushedAction>KD:0</PushedAction>

<PushedImage>Hellfrog\Abris_Bright_Inc_Dn.png</PushedImage>

</State>

<State>

<StateValue>1</StateValue>

<ReleaseAction>KU:0</ReleaseAction>

<PushedImage>Hellfrog\Abris_Bright_Inc_Up.png</PushedImage>

</State>

</Button>

----- Start of help text ---------

LIGNES DE COMMENTAIRES - COMMENT LINE :

Fr : Elles commencent par Balise de début : <!-- et finissent par Balise de fin : -->

GB: Start with <!-- and then end with -->

BUTTON NAME :

Fr : nomme un bouton pour s'y référer dans la section layout

GB : name of the buton to refer to it in layout section

<Button Name="ABRISPower">

NETWORKID :

Fr : OFFSET, nom, identifiant du lien entre Touchpal et BS : cf le export.lua distribué avec touchpal

GB : OFFSET, name, identificator of the link between touchpal and BS : see touchpal's export.lua for details

<NetworkID>130</NetworkID>

HEIGHT :

Fr : Définit la hauteur du bouton en pixels (zone sensible au clic)

GB : self explain

<Height>43</Height>

WIDTH :

Fr :définit la largeur du bouton en pixels (zone sensible au clic)

GB : self explain

<Width>46</Width>

IMAGE :

Fr : cf aussi PushedImage et Layout. Cette ligne permet d'afficher une image du bouton en permanence, poour la setion où est placée cette instruction : le comportement visuel du bouton dépend si cette instruciton est dans une section state/state ou ou pas ; cf plus bas pour exemples. Si elle est absente, on voit l'image du fond (background) définie en tête de section layout ou du panel.

GB : display the file in argument permanently for the section where the instruction is placed : button visual behaviour depend on programmation and if it is in a state/state section or not... see end of page for exemples.

If no image is defined, then the background as defined at start of Layout or Panel section is displayed.

<Image>path\file.png</Image>

BACKGROUNDIMAGE :

Fr : image du fond d'écran qui apparait si aucune autre image n'est affichée par dessus : cf Image.

GB : displayed on screen everywhere no other image is displayed above : see Image

<Layout>

<!-- coin superieur gauche de ecran touchpal ; left up corner coordinates / screen for touchpal -->

<X>0</X>

<Y>0</Y>

<Width>1280</Width>

<Height>1024</Height>

<BackgroundImage>1280x1024\background.png</BackgroundImage> <!-- <- ICI -->

PUSHEDIMAGE :

Fr : Cette image n'est affichée que pendant l'appui sur l'écran tactile ou pendant que le bouton gauche de la souris est maintenu appuyé.

(un peu comme quand on fait un drag and drop glisser déposer dans l'explorateur de fichier : on maintient le bouton gauche de la souris enfoncé, et l'icone du fichier change, puis elle rechange dès que l'on relache le bouton)

GB : Picture is displayed only while lef mouse button is pushed or while touching tactile screen.

<PushedImage>Abris_On.png</PushedImage>

STATE :

Fr : Definit un état pour un bouton

GB : define the status of a bouton

<State>

-- Etat numero 1

</State>

<State>

-- Etat numero 2

</State>

DEFAULT VALUE :

Fr : Dans le section commune du bouton (pas dans une section state /state) : définit la valeur par défaut de networkID lié au bouton

GB : default value for button's offset (networkId)

ex : ci dessous le bouton ABRIS power est par defaut inactif : valeur 0.0

<Width>46</Width>

<Height>43</Height>

<DefaultValue>0.0</DefaultValue>

STATE VALUE :

Fr : Cette ligne est incluse dans une section state /state et définit les valeurs pour lesquelles le bouton est dans cet état

ex : ci-dessous si la variable reçue de BS par l'export.lua et liée au bouton est à 0, on est dans l'état 1, et si la variable est à 1 on est dans l'état 2. Cela equivaud à un bouton Toggle : 1er appui pour ON et second appui pour OFF.

GB : included in a state /state section, define correspondant values of NetworkID for that particular state. Below, the states change the action sent. This mimics behavior of a TOGGLE switch. When it's OFF you send the ON click, when it's ON you send the OFF click.

<State>

-- Etat numero 1

<StateValue>0.0</StateValue>

</State>

<State>

-- Etat numero 2

<StateValue>1.0</StateValue>

</State>

PUSHED ACTION :

Fr : Action exécutée lors del'appui sur le bouton ou du clic (enfoncement du bouton gauche de la souris)

NB : attention les drivers de souris et c'est pareil pour un appui sur ecran tactile : ils n'apprécient pas qu'en programmation on maintienne un bouton de souris dans l'état "Down" ou pressé, sans être relaché : le comportement devient erratique, donc pour les clics et appuis, il faut toujours faire suivre un instruction bouton down d'une instruction bouton up. Je parle là de programmation en général.

Il ne faut pas confondre cela avec l'état du bouton de touchpal qui est soit enfoncé, soit relaché...

GB : what to do for touchpal if button is pressed (left mouse click or tactile screen pressed)

<PushedAction>NS:C,9,3009,1.0</PushedAction>

RELEASE ACTION :

Fr : Action exécutée quand le bouton est relaché.

GB : run once when release of left mouse buton or unpress tactile screen.

<ReleaseAction>NS:C,9,3009,0.0</ReleaseAction>

usage : below is for a momentarny on / momentary off buton as LWS reset : not in state/state section

<Button Name="LWSReset">

<NetworkID>5011</NetworkID>

<Width>49</Width>

<Height>48</Height>

<PushedAction>NS:C,36,3001,1.0</PushedAction>

<PushedBackgroundImage>blackshark\lws_reset_in.png</PushedBackgroundImage>

<ReleaseAction>NS:C,36,3001,0.0</ReleaseAction>

</Button>

NS = NETWORK SEND :

Fr : envoi à BS (interprété par la fonction ProcessInput() de export.lua en général) les paramètres pour l'exécution d'une commande cockpit

GB : send to BS the parameters for execution of a cockpit event (via ProcessInput() function in export.lua).

KU /KD = KeyUp KeyDown :

Fr : envoie à BS l'appui sur une touche : KD ou le relaché de la touche : KU

GB : send to BS a key event : KD for down and KU for up.

EX: :

Fr : quitte le programme touchpal

GB : end the program

CV: :

Fr : change la valeur d'un Offset donné en argument par son nom

GB : change value of the named offset

see start of default config.xml file

NETWORK CODE - CODE RESEAU :

version 0.4

Fr : Touchpal peut s'exécuter sur un PC en LAN au lieu de s'exécuter sur le PC principal (cf dicussion sur export.lua pour la syntaxe de connection en reseau)

MAIS pour l'instant BS ne recevra pas les envois de touches depuis un PC en LAN :

ex : dans ce code, réglage de la luminosité de l'ABRIS, on appuie ou relache la touches "O" : cela fonctionnne en monoposte mais pas en reseau

GB : you may run touchpal on a remote PC over LAN to gain some FPS. But KU and KD event won't be transmitted to BS, although it functions properly on single PC.

<Button Name="ABRISBrightnessUp">

<NetworkID>517</NetworkID>

<Width>46</Width>

<Height>43</Height>

<state> <!-- Released -->

<PushedAction>KD:0</PushedAction>

<Image>Hellfrog\Abris_Bright_Inc_Down.png</Image>

</state>

<state> <!-- Pushed -->

<ReleaseAction>KU:0</ReleaseAction>

<Image>Hellfrog\Abris_Bright_Inc_Up.png</Image>

</state>

</Button>

PANEL :

Fr : definit une regroupement de boutons ; se caractéris par un nom, une image de fond, des coordonnées haut gauche par rapport à l'écran, et par la liste et les coordonnées (par rapport au panel et pas par rapport à l'écran) des boutons qu'il contient

GB : define a group of buttons ; inlcudes : name, top left coordinates from screen, list of butons and thier coordinates relative to panel (and not screen).

<Layout>

<!-- coin superieur gauche de ecran touchpal -->

<X>0</X>

<Y>0</Y>

<Width>1280</Width>

<Height>1024</Height>

<BackgroundImage>1280x1024\background.png</BackgroundImage>

<TransparencyKey>

<Red>255</Red>

<Green>0</Green>

<Blue>255</Blue>

</TransparencyKey>

<Panel Name="ABRIS_Display">

<X>800</X>

<Y>0</Y>

<Width>480</Width>

<Height>790</Height>

<BackgroundImage>1280x1024\Panel_ABRIS_480x790.png</BackgroundImage>

<ControlLayout X="0" Y="0" ControlName="ABRISBlankScreen"/>

<ControlLayout X="10" Y="750" ControlName="ABRIS1"/>

<ControlLayout X="108" Y="750" ControlName="ABRIS2"/>

<ControlLayout X="206" Y="750" ControlName="ABRIS3"/>

<ControlLayout X="304" Y="750" ControlName="ABRIS4"/>

<ControlLayout X="402" Y="750" ControlName="ABRIS5"/>

</Panel>

[/Quote]

TRANSPARENCY KEY :

Fr : définit en couleurs RGB la couleur de transparence : ce qui est de cette couleur sera transparent à l'affichage. Permet de superposer le fond de touchpal au Shkval et à l'ABRIs affichés par BS sans les masquer.

GB : Define in RGB format the color for the transparency : you can visualize BS Shkval and ABRIS below touchpal background where background area is the same color.

<TransparencyKey>

<Red>255</Red>

<Green>0</Green>

<Blue>255</Blue>

</TransparencyKey>

CONTROL LAYOUT :

Fr : Définit le nom et les coordonnées d'affichage des boutons appartenant à un "panel" en partant du coin supérieur gauche de ce panel.

GB : Define Button's name and Button's coordinates from left top corner of the panel container of the button.

<ControlLayout X="0" Y="0" ControlName="ABRISBrightnessDown"/>

---------------------------

USAGE:

Exemples d'utilisation de ces instructions / usage :

Bouton interrupteur / Switch button

ex : erreur à ne pas faire / not to do :

<Width>46</Width>

<Height>43</Height>

<Image>Abris_Off.png</PushedImage>

<PushedImage>Abris_On.png</PushedImage>

<ReleaseAction>NS:C,9,3009,0.0</ReleaseAction>

Fr : Car dans ce cas l'image On n'est affichée que tant que l'on clique ou appuie sur l'écran tactile, dès que l'on relache on retourne à l'image Off. Or il s'agit d'un interrupteur : il y a deux états. Il ne faut donc pas programmer comme cela mais comme ci-dessous

GB : in that case picture is displayed only if you maintain pressure. Not good because it is a switch buton. See below correct one

<Width>46</Width>

<Height>43</Height>

<State>

<Image>Abris_Off.png</PushedImage> <!-- bouton éteint relaché / swith up off-->

<!-- on pourrait ajouter PushedImage : bouton enfoncé allumé / switch down on -->

</State>

<State>

<PushedAction>NS:C,9,3009,0.0</PushedAction>

<Image>Abris_On.png</PushedImage> <!-- bouton allumé relaché ou allumé et semi enfoncé / switch on + up or on + half up/dn-->

<!-- on pourrait ajouter PushedImage : bouton enfoncé éteint / switch down off-->

</State>

Fr : le script ci-dessus convient pour un interrupteur : on a un état OFF et un état ON, on n'envoi qu'une seule commande Push pour allumer ou éteindre. MAIS cela ne va pas pour un MOMentary On et MOMentary Off = bouton poussoir du LWS reset par ex.

GB : above script is OK for switch because only one instruction to switch on or off : on ly one PUSH command. Doesn't suit for MON/MOFF buton like LWS_reset ...

About state and images / pour images et état :

<Button Name="WarningMaster">

<NetworkID>44</NetworkID>

<Width>46</Width>

<Height>43</Height>

<PushedAction>NS:C,14,3001,0.2</PushedAction>

<ReleaseAction>NS:C,14,3001,0.0</ReleaseAction>

<State>

<StateValue>0.2</StateValue>

<Image>blackshark\warning_master_off.png</Image>

<PushedImage>blackshark\warning_master_off_in.png</PushedImage>

</State>

<State>

<StateValue>0.1</StateValue>

<StateValue>0.3</StateValue>

<Image>blackshark\warning_master_on.png</Image>

<PushedImage>blackshark\warning_master_on_in.png</PushedImage>

</State>

</Button>

and

<Button Name="ABRISBlankScreen">

<NetworkID>130</NetworkID> <!-- lua ABRIS Power Input -->

<Width>480</Width>

<Height>790</Height>

<State>

<Image>blackshark\Panel_Abris_blank_480x790.png</Image>

</State>

<State>

<!-- no image displayed if ABRIS is ON to allow transparency -->

</State>

</Button>

DD

Could you please post by attachment your monitor lua file, your TP xml file your scripts/options files (or the portions of them that locates the various screens) so that I can understand how to run 4 monitors with BS BSVP and TP.

thanks

I've uploaded my setup files for you here. I have my main monitor at 1024x768, TouchPal/ABRIS at 1024x768 and Shkval at 720x576, arranged in my Windows (Vista) desktop settings like this:

3mon_setup.jpg

i.e. when I move my cursor off the right edge of my main monitor, it appears on the left edge of my TouchPal/ABRIS monitor, when I move it off the right edge of the TouchPal/ABRIS monitor, it appears on the left edge of my Shkval monitor. N.B. It doesn't matter where your monitors are physically in relation to each other, just where Windows thinks they are.

I run BSVP on a second PC at 1280x1024. If you use the same resolutions etc as me, then the only thing you'll need to change in my files is the IP address of your BSVP PC at the start of export.lua.

Cheers,

DD

Edited by DickDastardly

DD

Thanks for the files and the diagram. I am sure that after studying this for about a month, I will have some more questions for you.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

DD

I have gone thru most of the files and I have one question.

In the Monitor file, you have for the Abris the following:

ABRIS =

{

x = 1353; --Horizontal res of main monitor + 329

y = 224;

width = 366;

height = 448;

In another file you the following:

Panel Name="ABRIS">

<X>256</X>

<Y>198</Y>

<Width>512</Width>

<Height>527</Heigh

My question is why are the numbers different?

thanks

DD

I have gone thru most of the files and I have one question.

In the Monitor file, you have for the Abris the following:

ABRIS =

{

x = 1353; --Horizontal res of main monitor + 329

y = 224;

width = 366;

height = 448;

In another file you the following:

Panel Name="ABRIS">

<X>256</X>

<Y>198</Y>

<Width>512</Width>

<Height>527</Heigh

My question is why are the numbers different?

thanks

The panel includes the surrounding graphics with the beveled edges so it is bigger than the ABRIS defined in the Monitor file. The Monitor file only defines the actual screen itself.

• 2 weeks later...
You don't need to tell TouchPal or BSVP where the data is coming from - they both just listen out for any incoming data. You do, however, need to tell DCS:BS where to export the data to. If you're using the combined export.lua, this is done by editing the first few lines. On my setup, they look like this:

-- TouchPal Host and Port
gTPHost = "127.0.0.1"
gTPPort = 9089

Ok, I finally got a chance to actually try this (i.e. running TouchPal on a separate machine), and I too couldn't get it to work. Even after turning off the firewall on the client machine, it didn't seem to want to talk to the host. To solve this, I changed the EndPoint for the socket to use IPAddress.Any rather than IPAddress.Loopback in UDPNetConnection.cs.

socket.Bind(new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Loopback, 9089));

Change to..

socket.Bind(new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Any, 9089));

This seems to fix it so that TP runs properly both locally and remotely.

Edited by ddahlstrom

I've just completed a new set of changes to TouchPal to fill in some functional gaps that I had run into. Thanks to Gadroc and DickDastardly for developing this great platform and sharing it. Note that these changes are based on the r16 (0.4) build of TouchPal. Because the changes are fairly substantial, I have included the full source as well as an executable.

A detailed readme.txt file with installation instructions is included in the attachment. There are four primary new features.

1. Full client/server remote operation, including integrated support for sending keystrokes from a remote client to the host/game machine.

2. New 800x600 profile based on one that had been created for TouchBuddy designed primarily for operation on a remote machine.

3. New option for hiding the cursor.

4. Right-click editing of button assignments through the GUI for easily tweaking profiles.

Dave

TouchPal 0.4X1.zip

Does this new Touchpal enhancement work with BSVP and if so what has to be done to do so?

Does this new Touchpal enhancement work with BSVP and if so what has to be done to do so?

What do you mean by work with BSVP. They have been able to work together for a while. Check this thread and the BSVP thread for the Export.lua which will allow both of them to work at the same time.

Gadroc, you're thinking like a coder, and sobe is probably thinking like an end-user. This magic you folks have conjured is a bit mystifying to us mere humans at times. ;) Seriously, it can be a bit intimidating, as it is a lot to wade through.

sobe, the short answer to the first part of your question appears to be, "Yes." The answer to the second part appears to be, "do things the same way as before the enhancement".

My understanding is that we are still not going to want to put the ABRIS or Skhval displays on the client machine(s) though. Those would not run well over than LAN, correct?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Gadroc, you're thinking like a coder, and sobe is probably thinking like an end-user. This magic you folks have conjured is a bit mystifying to us mere humans at times. ;) Seriously, it can be a bit intimidating, as it is a lot to wade through.

sobe, the short answer to the first part of your question appears to be, "Yes." The answer to the second part appears to be, "do things the same way as before the enhancement".

My understanding is that we are still not going to want to put the ABRIS or Skhval displays on the client machine(s) though. Those would not run well over than LAN, correct?

LOL. Sorry, I should know better than respond after coding for several hours.

As a clarification TouchPal does nothing for the actual Shkval and ABRIS displays. It merely overlays graphics over top of the existing Black Shark screens.

Both TouchPal and BSVP require data sent back and forth between them and Black Shark. In order to support these they both have modified Export.lua files. This file tells Black Shark how to talk to these applications. The only thing that prevented BSVP and TouchPal from running together was that they had conflicting Export.lua files. If you look through the threads I merged the Export.lua files and then DickDastardly fixed a problem with the Export.lua that existing only in one language.

I personally don't run with both BSVP and TouchPal as I run my whole pit off of one computer with multiple video cards. BSVP due to it being a 3D engine in itself messes up joystick input for my G940.

I am working on a project which is much more consumable and more capable. You should see some announcements in the next month or so.

• Like 1

...and just a postscript...I don't use BSVP either, so I can't report on its compatibility, other to say that these changes shouldn't have affected it either positively or negatively. I made no changes to Export.lua and tried not to step on any existing functionality so what worked before should still work.

Edited by ddahlstrom

Sorry that I upset anyone but trying to get BS to work on multiple monitors and/or multiple computers tests the very limits of my understanding of what is going on. If anyone needs any help on any US federal tax issues, I would be glad to help as long as I did not have to deal with Lua files. :book: