How has DCS:BS helped your helo flying in other sims?

DCS:BS was a big risk for me. I'd flown helicopters in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 and X and hated every minute of it. I just couldn't "get it". The only helicopter game of any kind that I'd liked was Comanche 4, and that was essentially a first person shooter in a game-y helicopter shell.

But, the buzz on BS was so good that I couldn't pass it up. And I loved it. I've officially become a rotorhead.

So, tonight, I tried an experiment. I've been playing DCS:BS since April or so. I haven't touched MS FSX helicopters since long before that. I decided to give the ol' Bell 206 a go and take her up for a spin.

I actually had a LOT of fun with it. Thanks to DCS:BS I understand the physics and nature of helicopter flight, and it carried over perfectly into FSX. Sure, the flight model is much weaker and the helicopter doesn't feel nearly as heavy as the Kamov combat helo, but I was able to perform good landings, takeoffs, hovers, and all the other basic maneuvers that I wasn't able to do before DCS:BS. My newfound grasp of the delicate balance between cyclic and collective in different flight modes helped me out quite a bit.

Edited by wickedpenguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Same here - I orginally tried to fly the rubbish helos in ARMA2 and kept crashing but I jumped in one the other night after flying BS for a month and found it easy as pie (as it is probably supposed to be in a game like ARMA2). BS has taught me alot about helicopter flight dynamics ... and still so much to learn!!

P45 Platinum, Q9550 @ 3.33Ghz, HD6970 w/2gb, X-Fi Titanium PCIE, 4gb RAM, ANTEC 1000watt PSU, Lian Li PC-A71 case, Win7 64bit, CH Throttle and Fighterstick, Saitek Pro Pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro, 3 x Samsung SyncMaster 2443

For me was the other way... I almost fly the helicopters in all games/simulations when helis are present and flyable. I much liked the first Arma (after the first patch of course, where they changed the helicopter controls) because there we had a wonderful landscape, variation in missions (EVAC, troop transport) and I could fly together with a friend in the Cobra via MP.

My helicopter dreams come true with BS and I could basically takeoff, land and fly that thing.

Though, I still suck at flying BF2 helicopters.:D

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

I agree, the x-plane flight model is a real bear.....doesn't help that my throttle (collective) sticks a little. I do find myself looking for a "trimmer" button in FSX though....if there is one, I haven't found it....lol

I had no idea how a helicopter even flew before I bought Black Shark - first thing I did was map the Ka-50 throttle to the main throttle axis on my HOTAS, it took me a while to figure out why I wasn't going anywhere.

Needless to say my first couple of flights looked a lot like this...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My rig: i7 3770K oc'd to 4.7 GHz | Asus Maximus 5 Extreme mobo | 4 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3 | 2 x EVGA GTX 680 in SLI | Asus Xonar Phoebus audio card | OCZ Vertex 4 512 GB SSD

My peripherals: Dell U3011 30" at 2560x1600 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD 558 | Razer Black Widow | Razer Imperator