Force Feedback and Trimmer

btaft

I am seriously considering purchasing the new logitech G940. It is either that or I dump a bunch of money into my cougar (thrustmaster that is...not not my very attractive middle aged wife). It has a sticky throttle and fair bit of center play which is not a huge deal for airplanes but is becoming an issue for heli sims.

I do have a couple questions though.

1) How does the trimmer work with a FFB joystick. My understanding is that it remains where it is and a new center point is defined (i.e. there is no need to bring the stick back to the center)

2) Does having a FFB joystick then effect the rudder trimmer implementation. Do I have to return the pedals to the center (as they are now) or are they removed from the trimmer logic.

3) Finally, I am interested in new owners of the G940 and what there experience has been with Blackshark. What did you have before that? Also how do you handle the detents in the throttle (do you just manually remove them through calibration or live with the tendency to set at a point)

Any insight is appreciated

1. Trimmer works exactly like you think it does.

2. Rudders are not removed. You have to return them to the middle.

3. The detents in the throttle aren't really detents. More like just little bumps. I don't even notice them while flying.

I love the G940. I bought it specifically for Black Shark. Worth every penny to me. I am finding out that it doesn't handle complicated programming. Well either it doesn't or I just can't figur out how to do it.

_:Windows 10 64 Bit, I7 3770 3.4Ghz, 16 Gigs Ram, GTX 960, TM Warthog, Track IR 5 w/Pro Clip:_

Shez,

If you don't mind me asking, what were you using before you got the G940?

The programming isn't a huge deal for me, I actually prefer to program it inside of the game and just let things be as DX buttons. I typically try to replicate the real life button placement as much as possible

1. Yes, as Shez says, that's exactly right.

2. Yes, you must center rudders. Hint: In order to avoid nasty side effects, you must press trim, center the rudders while holding the trim button, then release.

3. No detents on the rotaries. Kind of a bummer, but not a show-stopper.

I really like the G940, though there are a few quirks I've observed.

1. The pedals gets de-calibrated occasionally. So far the only way I've found to correct it is to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in. This is definitely a G940 issue and not a DCS issue.

2. The profile software is more limited than expected for a stick of this caliber. You can't, for example, assign an action to a button release event.

3. There is a small electric eye in the side of the stick to detect your hand. If you remove your hand your carefully trimmed aircraft will likely take a dive. It's almost a necessity to cover it up.

4. As frequently reported, the multicolored lights on the throttle buttons are not used by any known software right now. No big deal, but something to be aware of.

5. Pedals have a small amount of stiction, which can make very fine movements a little tough. Could just be my unit, but I doubt it. The pedals are very nicely built (as are the stick and throttle).

6. When the stick is dormant, its not unusual for it to make a fair amount of motor noise. Gently pushing the stick to center will usually get rid of this. This has been reported by others so I know it's not just my stick. Not a big deal though.

Actually I bought the G940 just for DCS Black SHark :). Long time ago I used the Cougar with Falcon 4.0. Just bidding my time till DCS A-10 comes along :)

I have the same stiction in the pedals. I'll have to see if I can fix that one of these days.

_:Windows 10 64 Bit, I7 3770 3.4Ghz, 16 Gigs Ram, GTX 960, TM Warthog, Track IR 5 w/Pro Clip:_