What would be your 3rd world non-russian Strike Fighter?

tflash

Suppose you were in a third-world conflict, eg somewhere in central africa, and you needed a classic strike fighter? I mean strike / ground attack, not specialized CAS or COIN. So essentially some bombing, rocket and gun strafing work, low-to-medium in visual conditions.

Although the Russian gear is quite obvious, as you would unsurprisingly match your Hind and Hip with Su-25 or Mig-27. But what about 3rd generation Western fighters?

I see following contenders:

- Mirage III and derivatives (Cheetah, ...)

- Mirage 5/50 and derivatives (Dagger, Pantera, Mara, Elkan, Finger, ...)

- IAI KFir

- Mirage F1

- F-5

- Skyhawk

- A-7 Corsair II

- first generation Harrier

- Jaguar

I guess my pick would be the Kfir, which has a substantial track record, good speed and decent payload. Jaguar might come second.

But maybe I forgot about some valid alternatives?

kfir2.jpg

Edited by tflash
added image

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Alpha Jet.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

If i have to chose between 3rd gen. strike aircraft i`m definitely picking Mitsubishi F-1. It is fast, has a great variety of payload - bombs (including guided ones), rockets, long range anti-ship missiles, etc. :weight_lift_2:

Edit: Not that anyone in the "third world" has F-1s but nonetheless that`s what i would have used if i had a choice.

Edited by topol-m

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Edit: Not that anyone in the "third world" has F-1s but nonetheless that`s what i would have used if i had a choice.

Well I agree that not many third world country's has F-1s but during the 80's South Africa(though I wouldnt exactly call us 3rd world) did and they worked very well in taking out coloumns of T-55s etc. I would also recommend the Aermacci MB-326 or as we called it the Impala. It was a steady gun platform and had a large payload. Only one was ever shot down after hundreds of CAS missions

To INVENT an Airplane is Nothing.

To BUILD One is Something.

But to FLYis EVERYTHING.

- Otto Lilienthal

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I agree that not many third world country's has F-1s but during the 80's South Africa(though I wouldnt exactly call us 3rd world) did and they worked very well in taking out coloumns of T-55s etc. I would also recommend the Aermacci MB-326 or as we called it the Impala. It was a steady gun platform and had a large payload. Only one was ever shot down after hundreds of CAS missions

Don`t confuse Mirage F-1 with Mitsubishi F-1 ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Jaguar GR3A had it all: "The upgraded Jaguar GR3A (also known as Jaguar 97) introduced fleet-wide TIALD LDP compatibility, provision for the EO GP1 (JRP) digital reconnaissance pod, a helmet mounted sight, a glass cockpit with a large AMLCD display and a new HUD, a new hand controller and stick top, GPS, TERPROM Terrain Referenced Navigation, an Improved Data Modem datalink, and improved Night vision goggles compatibility." (from Wikipedia)

It is just beyond belief that UK ditched this aircraft. India is sticking to it, for many good reasons!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Jaguar GR3A had it all: "The upgraded Jaguar GR3A (also known as Jaguar 97) introduced fleet-wide TIALD LDP compatibility, provision for the EO GP1 (JRP) digital reconnaissance pod, a helmet mounted sight, a glass cockpit with a large AMLCD display and a new HUD, a new hand controller and stick top, GPS, TERPROM Terrain Referenced Navigation, an Improved Data Modem datalink, and improved Night vision goggles compatibility." (from Wikipedia)

It is just beyond belief that UK ditched this aircraft. India is sticking to it, for many good reasons!

Until you have a hydraulics failure and can't lower the flaps...

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

not that long surely..

The reason is the defence budget got cut, the Tiffy and F35 is replacing it along with the Tornado and Harrier.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45