secondary weapons systems procedures?

dooom

Hi all,

I continue to understand this sim even more and more.... a few Qs please for the vets:

I think I, like many, typically employ the cannon and Vikhr weapon systems in the majority of my engagements. This does not often necessitate my attention to be paid to the back right PPK-800 systems prperation and check panel. (Pg 163 manual pdf/pg6-94 in hardcopy)

Can someone please confirm the following:

1. When using Vikhr rockets, the outside temp dial for the atg rockets is non functional and moot in DCS.

2. Changing the Unguided rocket and gun pods ballistics data settings dial is necessary pre-takeoff to correctly set the HUD aim point. Does this imply the targeting point to use is the "pipper" i use with vikhr or the stby reticle?

• 0 for S-8KOM
    • 1 for S-8TsM with smoke ( how / where would i arm these?)
    • 2 S-13 rockets
    • 3 S-24 rockets non functional (are we getting these?)
    • 4 S-8M HE rockets
    • 5 UPK-23 Gunpods.
    • 6-10 no function? (Are these used for any other weapons/tactical elements)

3. I understand they are "Unguided"; however... i am confused at when i should choose AC Autotracking vs. gunsight for unguided weapons on the weapons status control panel.

4. when would i use the STBY reticle on HUD?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Hiya Dooom...

1) dunno...I know the OAT guage is non functional, and that external air temp is based on table calculations (that can be found on these boards, posed by yo-yo ... be prepared to have a degree in physics tho :/ )

2) The Ballistics data dial is set automatically to the correct setting for the ballistic weapon you have loaded...it will change automatically if you re-load a different ballistic weapon on teh ground.

The only time you would need to manually adjust it is if you load 1 type of ballistic weapon on the inner pylons (say s8's), and another type on the outer (say gunpods)..in this instance you would need to change the dial setting between each type to get accurate hud pipper info.

In the case where you have Vhikrs and rockets, then the dial will stay set to the rockets setting, as Vhikrs to not use ballistic calculations, they are guided.

The piper affected is the one that shows your calculated impact point in the HUD when a ballistic weapon is selected, not the standby hud (which presumably you would use if your targetting computer was malfunctioning like Luke in the death star canyon)

3) Autotracking will keep the Shkval pointing at the "target" point that you have piped (by using the laser for range, and the shkval gimble for deflection), where as Gunsight mode will keep the Shkval pointed at the Calculated impact point on teh HUD. Usefull if you want to use the Shkval to accurately place rockets....this way you can "fly" the shkval to the target, and know the weapons are also lined up...not to be used for Vhikrs though .. to easy to loose laser alignment...but for unguided weps, perfect. You can also use auto tracking for unguided weps and just line up the HUD reticles, but IMHO gunsight mode is superior for unguided weapons (not including the cannon which can shoot off axis!)

4) if you are a total nerd, or if something shoots out your targeting computer I'd say...nevery used it though, and wouldn't know how :(

Edited by nemises
  • Like 1

hmmm... maybe i'm wrong.. but:

1) yes

2) yes, you use the pipper, and can change the switch in flight, try , on a hover to change the switch position, and you will see how the pipper change its position on the ground indicating the predicted impact point

3) you will see a "circle" when using the autotracking... align the circle with the pipper, and fire...

4) Never??... hmmm maybe in a case of intruments/HUD malfunction??

3) Autotracking will keep the Shkval pointing at the "target" point that you have piped (by using the laser for range, and the shkval gimble for deflection), where as Gunsight mode will keep the Shkval pointed at the Calculated impact point on teh HUD. Usefull if you want to use the Shkval to accurately place rockets....this way you can "fly" the shkval to the target, and know the weapons are also lined up...not to be used for Vhikrs though .. to easy to loose laser alignment...but for unguided weps, perfect. You can also use auto tracking for unguided weps and just line up the HUD reticles, but IMHO gunsight mode is superior for unguided weapons (not including the cannon which can shoot off axis!)

thanks to both of your for great replies... need a little more clarification:

... Are you saying that autotracking = schkval movement with continual lasing i.e. for vihkr and gunsight mode "freezes" the schkval at a calculate impact point?

if gunsight slaves schkval to a calculated "unguided" impact point, would i watch the HUD for a pipper to run over the tiny target or are you saying i would watch the schkval screen and "slew" it with rudder/flight axis input until the target box was over my prey?

just trying to get it straight in my head

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

2) The Ballistics data dial is set automatically to the correct setting for the ballistic weapon you have loaded...it will change automatically if you re-load a different ballistic weapon on teh ground.

The only time you would need to manually adjust it is if you load 1 type of ballistic weapon on the inner pylons (say s8's), and another type on the outer (say gunpods)..in this instance you would need to change the dial setting between each type to get accurate hud pipper info.

This is incorrect, yes the dial is automatically set to the correct position for the default load out, but if you change weapons load to a different rocket type you will need to adjust BD dial accordingly.;)

^^ ah ok, I thought the switch changed with the loadout..thx

... Are you saying that autotracking = schkval movement with continual lasing i.e. for vihkr and gunsight mode "freezes" the schkval at a calculate impact point?

if gunsight slaves schkval to a calculated "unguided" impact point, would i watch the HUD for a pipper to run over the tiny target or are you saying i would watch the schkval screen and "slew" it with rudder/flight axis input until the target box was over my prey?

It will lock the Shkval to look "at" the calculated impact point, which is a fixed point relative to the BlackShark (ie it will point straight ahead no matter what the Sharks orientation is ...) its up to you whether you use the small reticle on the HUD, or watch the Shkval, as the result is the same...the Shkval could help you be more precise because of the magnification, but the HUD pipper gives you much more SA.

okay - i tried it ... wow - that is tough. I think i may have to dampen my rudder inputs via the axis tune tab in the options... it slews all over the place like crazy and is VERY hard to keep a target in the pipper. I also notice that once i fire the shark will yo yo about in the air for a bit so i have to fight the controls before i can get another burst off.

advice for a smoother deployment?

okay - i tried it ... wow - that is tough. I think i may have to dampen my rudder inputs via the axis tune tab in the options... it slews all over the place like crazy and is VERY hard to keep a target in the pipper. I also notice that once i fire the shark will yo yo about in the air for a bit so i have to fight the controls before i can get another burst off.

advice for a smoother deployment?

Rockets are like airborne artillery (c by GGT), they are not useful for pinpoint attacks.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

It is quite hard...a couple of things might help.

1) Line up REALLY early...like 10 KM's or so, and make sure you trim for the correct heading

2) try using "flight director" mode for your final attack run...this will mean less see-sawing as the autopilot channel input will be disabled.

3) as above, think of them as an area attack weapon...let salvos go in Medium or High rather than 2 or 4 rockets at a time.

the rocket use isn't so bad ... it trying to use the UPK-23 where things get a tad sketchy... I am going to try the flight director mode tonight and report back... thanks again for all the great input!!

as above, think of them as an area attack weapon...let salvos go in Medium or High rather than 2 or 4 rockets at a time.

So true. I think the "short" burst selection for rockets should be reserved for smoke and illumumination rockets.

In case you've forgotten the burst lengths for S-8 rockets:

Short = 1 rocket from each pod

Medium = 5 rockets from each pod

Long = 10 rockets from each pod

So true. I think the "short" burst selection for rockets should be reserved for smoke and illumumination rockets.

In case you've forgotten the burst lengths for S-8 rockets:

Short = 1 rocket from each pod

Medium = 5 rockets from each pod

Long = 10 rockets from each pod

that brings up another quick question... where do i arm the smoke/illumination rockets?? when i go through the menues available from maintenance in f10, i don't see them.

... where do i arm the smoke/illumination rockets?? when i go through the menues available from maintenance in f10, i don't see them.

In the Mission Editor. You will then be able to select them from the 'Maintenance Menu' In-Game via the 'Default Payload' option.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• 6 years later...

I know this is an Old Thread but I have a New Related Question.

After reading this thread, I now understand that things will be configured properly providing the weapons load-out is selected during mission creation.

But I am trying to figure out how, when you have 80 S-8 Rockets, does one select ALL Stations as seen at 00:25 seconds into the following video ?

I cannot figure out how he selected all 4 stations ?

I'm guessing this can only be done when all 4 stations hold the same weapons.

SnowTiger:joystick:

I tried it out now, indeed selecting all stations works only when there is identical loadout on all stations. Tried that with rockets, bombs. It makes sense, if you have different weapons, it does not make any sense firing them all at once.

Edited by kilix

My setup: Intel i3 4170, NVidia GTX960, 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz, 128GB Kingston SSD, FaceTrackNOIR

Modules: KA-50, Mig-21, SU-27, Mi-8

If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe

The part I'm missing is HOW to select all stations ?

I have "Y" and "I" (outer and inner stations) programmed on my Hotas but I don't see how you can select both at the same time.

I'm guessing it is something to do with the weapon switches on the rear right panel but I don't know what those settings should be.

I actually loaded 4 rocket pods (all the same) in the mission editor but that did not seem to affect my back panel settings. So I have no idea what the settings should be let alone how to select both inner and outer stations at the same time.

SnowTiger

print the keyguide pdf from the first post in this thread and enjoy

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=37827

My setup: Intel i3 4170, NVidia GTX960, 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz, 128GB Kingston SSD, FaceTrackNOIR

Modules: KA-50, Mig-21, SU-27, Mi-8

If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe

Thanks kilix

To be honest, I have no idea why I have never come across the "U" command before.

I was just looking in the Manual again today (I have read it cover to cover a couple times and starting all over again now) and couldn't find that command.

I did find a hand LIST that tells which # to put the Weapon Selection Dial (for lack of a better description) for each type of unguided rocket or dumb bombs (which I have yet to try out with the BS as well).

That List is included in the Very Handy Guide by Chuck.

This is the URL from where you can view and/or download it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uSpZROuEd3U1VZWWNBam9ZdDg/view