Is DCS:BS a Lock-On Killer ?

Is DCS:BS a Lock-On Killer ?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Is DCS:BS a Lock-On Killer ?

• Yes, I think so
    • No, not really
    • Don't know

Simulations come and go, we all know this. Once a 'better' simulation comes up, the old ones are abandoned quite fast, like Lock-On superseded Flanker 2.0.

Now, for the time being, DCS:BS is only a Heli sim, no fast jets available yet. However, to me it seems like Lock-On is winding down since DCS:BS came up, and we already 'lost' a number of wings and squads.

Your opinion / observations ?

Edited by golfsierra2

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

LO superseded Flanker cos in Flanker it was really IMHo too candy and too cartonish graphics compared to LO.

Also LO compared to Flanker in UI, options and solutions is much better so it really had to fast defeated Flanker. Don't forget it was new product.

About DCS... I really hope it will defeat LO, one minus of DCS series at THIS moment is there are no many planes to fly, eer it is only 1. Also when I see progress rate I am worried about... and sometimes when I am angry i think I'll get my pension faster.

LO will still be on top... It is with us too many years.... many like Soviets planes, another Americans. It is simple good, funny game to enjoy.

Long time until DCS will bring more planes, between this time LO will be higher.

• Like 1

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Dito LO is not killed; DCS is got a long ways to go.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Interest in Lock On will be dramatically reduced as soon as the first fighter airplane becomes available for DCS. DCS is living thing, we will be getting helicopters and airplanes every year or so.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

DCS:BS is really a fantastic sim but frankly it is another gameplay which I do not really like. I play Lockon way more than DCS:BS.

Ditto. Don't even have DCS installed- and no intention of doing so until a jet is ready. However I would definitely expect LOMAC to wither fast when that happens. Unless this 1.13 patch is a lot better than expectations- I'd say LO withers fast when the A10 hits.. The only advantage LO might claim is the variety and that it's on hyperlobby. Too bad Jiri has apparently abandoned HL.. can't add anything to it now.

Edited by S77th-konkussion

I enjoy both sims equally :)

Ditto. Don't even have DCS installed- and no intention of doing so until a jet is ready.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice, DCS:BS is a wonderful sim to master and fly, even if you're not into helicopters :smilewink:

• Like 1

If I look at the traffic our Lock On server (<51>Dedicated) has been getting these last few weeks it seems interest in Lock On is picking up again.

June 2009: 1908 pilot flighthours

July 2009: 1071 pilot flighthours

August 2009: 1060 pilot flighthours

September 2009: 854 pilot flighthours

October 2009: 663 pilot flighthours (Oct. 1until Oct. 19)

This may be because the holidays have ended and people are coming back to flying. Furthermore, this month we are running the server with 'messages off' and we still get 20 players on it regularly.

Yesterday 4c ran a stress test of their server and apparently they got 49 pilots on it at one point.

I guess some Lock On pilots left for DCS:BS, but there are still plenty flying a 6 year old game :D

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Did'nt bother buying it, so for me definitely not the case.

Its like claiming tv would kill radio. Its just simply different thing, so it can't fullfill for the other one.

Hopefully in near future things can change, but so far a Helicopter and a hog (god knows when) is not enough to jump to another game.

So far one big NO.

Black Shark is by no means a Lock On killer. Their resemblance ends in their similarlish engine, and that's it.

The focus of both simulations are miles apart. It's the same as comparing Open Falcon with Lock on. Even though the ultimate goal is the fly jets the means are entirely different. That is even made even more evident since many hardcore Falcon fliers aren't appealed by Lockon, what they seem to call a little "arcadish"; compared to OF, of course.

Black Shark is a step closer to OF in many ways. Let it be the fully-clickable cockpit and the simulation of systems, and that only takes a little farther from Lock on.

What Black Shark did to Lock on was to further reduce the amount of human force at ED devoted to correct bugs that sill plague Lock on.

I think that if there was still anyone left at ED working at Lock on, that last spark has been put out and their major interest is in releasing DCS: A10.

I seriously doubt a new and reinvigorating patch for Lock on will ever make out the assembly line as these guys just seem to deliver products "as is" and let us solve and rant about the problems ourselves.

That's my 2 cents.

Interest in Lock On will be dramatically reduced as soon as the first fighter airplane becomes available for DCS. DCS is living thing, we will be getting helicopters and airplanes every year or so.

It depends, at least in my case...if the first jet fighter of DCS series is something western I'd still stick to LOFC and flying MiGs and Sukhois...

:P

Believe it or not, I never tried A-10A and F-15C in LOFC...

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is DCS: BS the LOMAC killer? No, but DCS in general most certainly will be eventually. Black Shark is a masterpiece, but I cannot maintain my interest in it. I'm glad I bought it just so I could experience it and support ED, but helicopters have never been interesting to me. I sometimes struggle keeping interest in planes that are 100% A/G, let alone a helicopter.

I'm afraid that DCS: Hog will be the same way for me. It would be one thing if these sims were easy and quick to pick up, but they're not. We're simulating what real pilots take months and years to learn and perfect as 30 to 40 year career. My bet is that every bit of time spent on the difficulty of flying the Ka-50 will have its counterpart in the complexity of the A-10C's avionics. I can sit down and learn a real-as-dirt study sim if I apply myself, but I'm finding the prospect of doing this less and less interesting if I'm not really attached to the aircraft I'm flying. I'd do it for an F-15, Su-27, or a MiG-29, probably an F-16...but not much else. I'm stretched thin these days, especially since I've rediscovered being a musician, and I haven't even played LOMAC in quite some time.

Edited by RedTiger

It depends, at least in my case...if the first jet fighter of DCS series is something western I'd still stick to LOFC and flying MiGs and Sukhois...

:P

Believe it or not, I never tried A-10A and F-15C in LOFC...

That is very good point. I too never played A-10 in FC and only played F-15 to learn about how it sees me when I am in Flanker or Fulcrum.
  • Like 1

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I don't think DCS BS killed or is killing LO either because the gameplay and the way you fly is very different, if it was then all the people that are no longer seen flying on HL would be seen flying DCS, but this is not the case.

It is clear LO is aging slowly but mostly people are leaving it because of it's apearent flaws in current state. FC fixed some things but many important bugs and flaws were not fixed and now that many people know about them and use them... it pushed people away that like to fly it "properly".

Things come and go, I haven't played BS for a while and have just picked up on it again recently, I do still like the realism of it very much but I also miss being able to connect to HL and see people flying, chatting and catching up there and also not many people I fly with like flying choppers thus reducing amount of people I can find to fly with... in the for me it's not fun flying alone and now both LO and DCS are not full as I'd like them to be... A-10 should bring more interests for sure, but progress is slower then anticipated.

No longer active in DCS...

Blackshark is still a ground attack sim. The KA-50 and the A-10 testify to that. When (or indeed if) a fast jet like the F16 comes out then the whole idea and ideology of the game will need to change.

However - As a black shark rotorhead myself i cant wait for the migration of the LO community. The game play will change - missions and 3rd party addons will be widespread and the game will evolve into what i imagine LO is now like.

This happens with other games - a new version comes out - everyone recoiles in horror and 2 years later everyone is still working together on the servers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No - Its a Stinger - Damn.......

My Pit - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42253

I think that if there was still anyone left at ED working at Lock on, that last spark has been put out and their major interest is in releasing DCS: A10.

Yet there's an announcement up there about work on something relating to FC.

I seriously doubt a new and reinvigorating patch for Lock on will ever make out the assembly line as these guys just seem to deliver products "as is" and let us solve and rant about the problems ourselves.

That's my 2 cents.

... See above. Further, what's this 'as is' thing? There have been 2-3 patches for each major release of LO/FC. While they didn't fix EVERYTHING and things happen that people don't like, that is hardly reminiscent of 'lack of support'.

I have seen people rant up and down about how ED either:

Doesn't know how to code

Doesn't listen to the community

Doesn't provide any customer support

Doesn't treat customers with respect

and so on and so forth, and the funny thing is that such people:

Don't know how to code

Don't realize ED had to deal with an old engine and economic realities

Don't know that ED actually TRIED, man

Don't know that ED in fact does read the wishlists and DOES implement wishes from the public

Don't know why their own pet peeve hasn't been fixed (resources, resources, helooooo!)

Don't want to be given lip for giving lip

Don't know why ED isn't doing things in their (brilliant) way instead of ED's way

This is a bag of widely mixed things, but that's how it all is.

That said, many of the players (speaking for those I know, not anyone else), moderators and developers appreciate the support that the public does give. Sometimes we all get in a tiff, but it tends to get resolved nicely most of the time.

We're always around to answer your questions and listen to your gripes, as well as posts filled with misunderstandings and incorrect assumptions and predictions ;)

Edited by GGTharos
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Well there U have it, ED this/ED that rants are sometimes really annoying, I feel often bad about it and even though I'm not ED I feel ashamed by ungrateful public.

So even though there's more LOFC than DCS players woldwide today things are about to change in the future and that's nothing to be afraid of if you're on a player side of the equasion. DCS should gain it's fans with the introduction of fixed wing aircraft (especially fighters based on a fact that 70% of LOFC players fly fighters most of the time). The only one who should worry about descending interest in LOFC in the future is...believe it or not...ED! Same things happen with any other industry, let's say automotive. New model of a same type makes old model cheaper, more difficult to sell and makes people lose interest in older products. Especially if a new model fixed some issues the old one had.

So if you're a proud owner of a LOFC hard copy installation disc, just make sure it's clean and safe from scratches like I do...or buy lots of them just to make sure you'll play LOFC 1.12a in a year of 2040...

;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On the other hand those interested in DCS will surely be interested in a LOFC too if they haven't tried it before. That's the same logic as with watching movies, feels better if you go with Rambo1 before watching Rambo2, doesn't it?!

There's this interesting thread in Multiplayer section that might give correct answer to this topic, lots of guys became interested in A-10A MP flights before DCS:A-10C hits the shelves...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:BS is great fun as a helicopter flight sim, but IMHO poor as a combat sim.

I love flying the thing around but the AI and terrain modelling are poor. When you get that close to the ground that slow it needs to be dramatically improved to work. Nothing like the feeling of BVR on-line in the early days before the cheats prevailed - when you had the bad guy on your radar screen, an AMRAAM about to go active and he knew nothing about it ... absolutely awesome !

I voted don't know, as this question depends on where DCS ends up and how long it will take to get there.

I haven't played DCS, but seeing how much deeper it is than Lock On (like the starting sequence) made me interested. However, I'm not a chopper guy. I think I've heard that the A-10 is next. I wouldn't mind flying the A-10, but it's already in LO. When DCS gets an F-15 or Su-27 (hopefully before 2015 lol), LO might spend a lot more time in its case, but for now it's my main sim. Though I'm looking at Falcon 4 AF for the more in depth combat tactics, etc.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

No, it isn't. Nevermind the fact that LO has the A, and DCS has the C and they're a world apart in reality - the DCS A-10 is NOTHING like the A-10 in LO.

It doesn't fly the same, it isn't operated the same way, and so on and so forth. That's like saying 'I wouldn't mind flying the DCS F-15C, but that's already in LO' ;)

I wouldn't mind flying the A-10, but it's already in LO.
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I rather have a flightsim with one aircraft/heli thats verry realistic then to have a bunch of aircrafts/helis with less realism. If lomac did have the same realism in all their aircrafts as DCS BS have, I would go nuts. Right now I have my little black bird, still learning since I bought it in may and I still enjoy it. When the A10C hits the streets (rather the air I guess) I think I will be prepared for a new and lovely challange for many months ahead. Keep up the good work ED, you have made the last six months one more way worth living. :thumbup:

In your ears my english must sound like Sinatra on crack but I hope you get the point :D

Go Ugly Early

Answer no for me. FC now looks amazing with current hardware. Silky smooth. However I confine myself to the 25 and 25T, as they provide the best challenge in FC. Really enjoy BS also but for me FC reigns higher on the 'fun' factor. And for information i don't get a chance to play online anymore.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

Not really for me~

Unless there is another F-15 "sim" around, i won't drop Lock On.

(but omg ED please fix this~ i have a hate-love-hate relation with the LO F-15)

A-10 is another matter, that's the only DCS stuff i look forward for now...

unless there would be DCS F-15, F/A-18 or a Flanker/Fulcrum variant with M in their names.. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]