Is DCS:BS a Lock-On Killer ?

Is DCS:BS a Lock-On Killer ?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Is DCS:BS a Lock-On Killer ?

• Yes, I think so
    • No, not really
    • Don't know

Ah, got your point now, Eddie (altought I think you've been flying way too much missions. 5 missions per day?! I'd quit :D!).

You're telling me, over 10 years of Falcon I've massed just over 3200hours of time in the 'pit. It can't be good for me.

Well, maybe I'll give it a try, and if it's that good, I'll probably stick to it until DCS: F-16 is out :music_whistling:

Given that you can pick up AF very cheap these days I'd recommend it to anyone. If only to experiance the masterpiece that is the campaign engine. Of course you need to be able to look past the dated visuals and just enjoy the gameplay for what it is.

I have to say I'm hoping that in time DCS will become just as great as Falcon has proved to be. You never know, it might even prove to me the Sim that unites the Falcon and Lock On communities together. Hey, it's possible.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

You never know, it might even prove to me the Sim that unites the Falcon and Lock On communities together. Hey, it's possible.

I hope so! Storm of War bringing all the WWII fans together, while DCS bringing Falcon and Lock On... Man, that would be awesome!

I saw Falcon 4.0: Allied Force for sale a while ago in a Mediamarkt, it was something between 10 and 15 dollars, I don't remember now. It's on my wishlist, together with DCS: Black Shark and Rise of Flight (which, by the way, I've decided to buy after DCS:BS and F4:AF, as I've heard some bad comments about it...)

EDIT: check your PMs

Edited by Lucas_From_Hell

I'm going to hazard a guess that you've not played Falcon? I don't know what dynamic campaign engines you have experiance with, but I somehow doubt it's F4's.

The biggest advantage of the campaign engine is realism, for example everytime you fly a mission there are countless aircraft in the airspace flying missions of their own, and then the ground war going on below you. None of it is scripted it's all happening in real time, there are no missions in the way DCS/LOMAC has them it is simply a continuous real time world.

Too many sims/games give you the impression that you are the most important entity in the world, everything revolves around you. You should however be just another pilot in another aircraft carrying out his assigned mission, and that's it. That is what a well made dynamic campaign engine gives you.

Of course the big problem is that a dynamic campaign engine is very difficult and time consuming to produce, hence nobody has done it succesfully since Falcon. I and many others continue to hope someone will someday do it, but to be honest I/We become ever more doubtful, that there is a developer out there with the drive, ambition and resources to do it.

Did you compare FPS count in Falcon 4.0 Dynamics campaign and LOFC/DCS single mission/campaign...

Now imagine a LOFC/DCS graphics and take Dynamic campaign and all AI objects and vehicles that fight the war of their own into account and imagine your FPS...you'd whine and we'd have hundreds of threads on bad FPS during dynamic campaigns.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Dynamic campaign could be interesting at least for a while before missions start looping but it's really not something we can't live without.

Did you try RamGen?! Try it and you'll see it's better than any dynamic campaign in any sim I played so far.

What' I'd really like to see in the future of DCS, especially now with A-10C behind the corner is more FAC missions especially those where you have to go searching for some armor that you know should be there somewhere but you can't say for sure where it is, how many and how good they are in knocking you down from the sky!

I'd like to see missions where you're assigned to patrol a part of the area and you get on the spot info on what should you engage rather than preplaned targets!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did you compare FPS count in Falcon 4.0 Dynamics campaign and LOFC/DCS single mission/campaign...

Now imagine a LOFC/DCS graphics and take Dynamic campaign and all AI objects and vehicles that fight the war of their own into account and imagine your FPS...you'd whine and we'd have hundreds of threads on bad FPS during dynamic campaigns.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Dynamic campaign could be interesting at least for a while before missions start looping but it's really not something we can't live without.

This is certainly a vaild point, and yes I have considered it. But with modern hardware as long as any system were to fully utilise multicore CPUs and other hardware advances I think it'd be doable at least from a technical standpoint.

What' I'd really like to see in the future of DCS, especially now with A-10C behind the corner is more FAC missions especially those where you have to go searching for some armor that you know should be there somewhere but you can't say for sure where it is, how many and how good they are in knocking you down from the sky!

I'd like to see missions where you're assigned to patrol a part of the area and you get on the spot info on what should you engage rather than preplaned targets!

Totally agree with you here. For an aircraft like the A-10 it would be the most realistic way of doing things, not to mention the most fun.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me here, I'm not blind to the good points of static campaigns or the bad points of a dynamic campaign. I just belive that a well made dynamic campaign engine can turn an excellent sim into a legendary one. I'll be sticking with DCS regardless (and trying to get fellow falconers to join in as well).

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

That wouldnt be a problem. F4 was the first game to use 2 processors, back in the day it was 2 sockets. 1 would run the dynamic engine, the other runs the client.

Regardless F4 uses a bubble system. Anything outside the bubble is not rendered, but the dynamic engine is still running everything.

The only reason F4 does not run better is probably just how old it is.

It depends, at least in my case...if the first jet fighter of DCS series is something western I'd still stick to LOFC and flying MiGs and Sukhois...

:P

Believe it or not, I never tried A-10A and F-15C in LOFC...

Haha, same for me. Well almost. I tried the F-15, but it sucked. Or I did.

I will not buy DCS unless I get to fly a pretty Mig or Su. So this means I will not buy it before 2011 as it looks now. Maybe I would buy it to fly a properly modeled Eurofighter. But I can't see ED releasing such a module anytime soon.

If it isn't too late to bump this thread...

AFAIK, per ED, the main thing that will determine any developement of a dynamic campaign is whether or not any military clients want this. From what we have been told, what militaries want is missions and a mission editor, so that is what they are getting. When you train pilots, you have certain goals and objectives in mind you want to cover. Making sure you cover this requires carefully hand-crafted missions.

This is the type of play I personally prefer, so I admit I am biased. I have played the Falcon 4 campaign. Putting aside the existing flaws that are just due to age and taking it only for what it is, it is a great deal of fun. I would hesitate before calling it "realistic", however. It just so happens that he particular unrealisms in Falcon are the specific things that would probably turn me off from any flight sim.