Can you fire off multiple Vikhrs and lock up different targets as they hit?

Snacko

I remember in the Su25 in Lockon, you could fire off a missile every few seconds. And as soon as the first missile hit the first target (say in a column) you could lockup the next target, and after it's hit, the next and so on..

But to do this, I think you had to unlock the target, move the target cursor to the next target and lock it up.

In BS, can you do this? I don't see how to fire off more than one salvo at a time because the target cursors disappear and I can't find any unlock target command?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

i didnt think so - the vikhr "rides the rail" as far as i know - i/e need continual lasing to hit tgt.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

This can be done to a certain degree.. Weapons need to be in manual mode and select med or long salvo. Now you should be able to fire off another vikhr before the previous hits the target. The targets will need to be relatively close as the second vikhr fired rides the beam of the first.

Dooom is correct. Any Vikhr in flight will follow the laser beam that eminates from the helicopter. If you lock up a target, fire a missile, then move the Shkval to anywhere other than that target, then the missile that is flying will follow where the Shkval is. Only one target can be engaged at a time.

Only one target can be engaged at a time.

Technically correct.. But what you can have is 2 vikhrs in flight and destroy 2 separate targets. Eg. lase target and fire vik, wait till the vik is about half way and fire off another. When the first vik hits the target you immediately slew to the new target and whala. ;)

Technically correct.. But what you can have is 2 vikhrs in flight and destroy 2 separate targets. Eg. lase target and fire vik, wait till the vik is about half way and fire off another. When the first vik hits the target you immediately slew to the new target and whala. ;)

Interesting, although it may be difficult for the second Vikhr to navigate over to a new target. It might also be a good way to burn out your laser

If you slew the Shkval too quick though (mostly by slewing to the side) the Vikhr will not be able to turn quick enough to follow the beam and will fall outside the laser beam and you will loose its guidance. If you slew the targeting point a little, meaning the 2 targets are very near by, it can be done.

No longer active in DCS...

I've seen it done. You need to set the WCS override so you can launch 2 Vikhrs 2-3 seconds apart, they both guide on the beam until the first one hits and then you slew onto the second target between the two impacts. The targets naturally have to be pretty close to each other.

I'm curious about the one missile variant where you purposefully fire a Vikhr not at the target and then slew onto it. It might come in handy for getting the missile in the air and down range earlier when dealing with really nasty SAMs or a bump in the terrain between you and the target.

Folks have done similar with GBU-12s in Open Falcon except that's slightly easier as the bombs home in on scattered light instead of beam riding.

Not a technique that the system was made for, if you do it more often, you will fry your laser, because you are most like not able to stick to the cooldown times.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

You also have to remember that the laser beam the Vikhr follows is actually a laser grid. The laser grid is initially projected wide and then made narrower as the Vikhr closes on target. As such the system is not really made to support two missiles at different distances from the firing helicopter.

i didnt think so - the vikhr "rides the rail" as far as i know - i/e need continual lasing to hit tgt.

One of the 1st things I noticed after taking evasive action at an incoming missile, so frustrating when the missiles actually coming from your target but you don't hit it as you've had to dive into cover.