Impact of volumetric lights

Sjokkel

Overall i'm getting good performance from BS but in certain situations FPS can drop significantly seemingly without a good reason.

I know BS is mainly CPU bound but from the tests i've done this seems to be mainly a graphics problem. The FPS drops can be fixed by putting lights=1 in the config file thus disabling volumetric lights.

For instance, in the mission Death Valley looking to the left form straight at the other 2 blacksharks i would get 34 FPS. From the moment they turn on their lights the FPS drops to 18 FPS.

In other missions i hardly see any FPS drops when they turn on their lights.

A few days ago i was starting up from a farp for some MP nightflying. Looking 45 degrees to the left i would get 17 FPS, looking 45 degrees to the right i would get 60 fps. When i would get my head close to the cockpit dash only filling the screen with 1 part of the dash a piece of farp flooring and 1 dynamic light on the farp would still give me 17 FPS. It seemed that that one light was causing the huge drop in FPS. On the other side of the cockpit doing the same would even raise my FPS to about 70.

I'm just wondering why in certain situations these lights can cause huge framedrops. Since its a rather simple lighting effect as seen in many other games it shouldn't be such a graphical strain. Is this caused by a mix of the wrong materials in some situations making the effects of the light causing a bottleneck on the GPU? Is it nvidia related, related to win7?

Is everybody experiencing these extreme slowdowns regarding to dynamic lights?

I tried many different drivers ranging from the 18x.xx range to the 19x.xx range.

My specs are C2Q 9550, GF GTX285 1 gb, 4GB ram, Win 7 RC, currently running 195.36 drivers as a test.

I'm guessing much of the effects (which are all still DX8 I believe?) are not necessarily offloaded to the GPU, hence why the game is largely CPU dependant .

Constant upgrades are going on with the enging, though we the consumer will only see those updates at major releases (such as the recent patch , or the upcoming DCS:Hog release)

Yes, I think most of us if not all see slowdown with volumetric lights..

My advice to you to improve FPS is to lower view distance from high to medium or low (thanks to Polecat for telling me the same, I get + 20fps from going to medium).

• 2 weeks later...

"The FPS drops can be fixed by putting lights=1 in the config file thus disabling volumetriclights."

Can you guys give more information on how to disable the volumetriclights?

I gess i have a hard time to follow the "instructions" above.

Edited by REL

• 4 years later...

I know this thread is old but its still relevent.

IS anyone still having fps drops when FARP lights turned on.

I was hovering over the farp when its lights with 40fps, then i contacted them and they switched the lights on, all of a sudden down to 7fps.

Given this thread was started in 2009 - 4 years later still not fixed????

• ED Team

I was hovering over the farp when its lights with 40fps, then i contacted them and they switched the lights on, all of a sudden down to 7fps.

Its possible its a limitation of the current engine and needs to wait on EDGE to be fixed properly.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I already reported this another thread, by turning lights to even 0 in options.lua the farp lighting remained on. =1.2.7

these lights need performance fixed, as they are a massive frame rate hog.

• 2 weeks later...