Unguided weapons attack run...

dooom

Q1 Flight director on or off? What say you?

As it is now, i switch to gunsight mode and use schkval/pipper to target. i find i fight the controls quite a bit for precision with cannon/gunpods/rocket.

Q2 When would you really utilize flight director?? I have yet to find a real purpose as i trim with nav cues on HUD etc...

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I use f/d for unguided weapon runs, also with fixed gunsight.

It's the only time I find it usefull, and I honestly think thats mostly because I use the same finger to press trim as to launch weps (thumb!) ... If I could trim AND launch weps at the same time, I probably wouldn't need F/D mode at all...

Q1 Flight director on or off? What say you?

I fly without the flight director at all times, including unguided weapon attack runs, and I don't have any problem (other than those induced by me, not the aircraft).

Q2 When would you really utilize flight director?? I have yet to find a real purpose as i trim with nav cues on HUD etc...

Good point. Personally, I never use FD.

If I could trim AND launch weps at the same time, I probably wouldn't need F/D mode at all...

This is what I do.

FD on.

Anything that makes my shooting as accurate as possible, it's what I assume I'd do in RL.

I suppose I could trim continuously, but why bother? If we're going down the hard path, why not turn off autopilot altogether for shooting?

FD on.

Anything that makes my shooting as accurate as possible, it's what I assume I'd do in RL.

I suppose I could trim continuously, but why bother? If we're going down the hard path, why not turn off autopilot altogether for shooting?

I just hold the trim button down during my attack run. The button is located where it's easy for me to keep it depressed and still fire the weapons without any trouble (as it is in the real aircraft).

Personally, I think the last thing a pilot would want in real life during a strafing run is even more useless symbology on the HUD.

I think people are turning FD ON for two reasons:

They think unguided weapons employment is some form of twitch-reaction function to 'spotting something from the corner of their eye' or something that can be successfuly executed without the slightest bit of planning.

And I disagree with all that - personally if I 'spot something from the corner of my eye', I'll avoid it and get away from it first, then turn around and line up a strafing run.

At this point, I'll line up, pick up speed, trim the heli out such that the target either is in the pipper, or, will be in the pipper when I hit max range, and gently nudge the controls to place and hold the death dot on target.

My speed and altitude are kept constant, ensuring a stable launch platform and, whenever possible, I will launch at max range, then turn around, leave, and set up a second run if necessary.

But that takes too long GG! It's boring! :P

Yeah. But that's how it's done, at least to my knowledge. You can attack from closer in by using appropriate maneuvers, but those needs to be practiced too - and I think what most people mean by 'strafing attack' is 'swerve towards the enemy who's 1km (or less) away and pummel him'.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

They think unguided weapons employment is some form of twitch-reaction function to 'spotting something from the corner of their eye' or something that can be successfuly executed without the slightest bit of planning.

And I disagree with all that - personally if I 'spot something from the corner of my eye', I'll avoid it and get away from it first, then turn around and line up a strafing run.

At this point, I'll line up, pick up speed, trim the heli out such that the target either is in the pipper, or, will be in the pipper when I hit max range, and gently nudge the controls to place and hold the death dot on target.

My speed and altitude are kept constant, ensuring a stable launch platform and, whenever possible, I will launch at max range, then turn around, leave, and set up a second run if necessary.

Yeah. But that's how it's done, at least to my knowledge. You can attack from closer in by using appropriate maneuvers, but those needs to be practiced too - and I think what most people mean by 'strafing attack' is 'swerve towards the enemy who's 1km (or less) away and pummel him'.

so no FD for you? Do you use the schkval to line up or pipper?

• Like 1

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Hah exactly what I wanted to say :D

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

so no FD for you? Do you use the schkval to line up or pipper?

I will track the target in Shkval at first, you don't even really need to aim at the target, as long as you get the shkval in its immediate vicinity you'll get the right range, no need to fiddle with a lock (although it's far more convenient, since then it's just a matter of putting the thing in the thing and off you go! :D )

Hint: For fast Shkval placement, use the helmet sight. You don't even need to havet h target in the Shkval FoV at the moment, it'll point at where you wanted it to once you rotate the heli enough.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Here is a method I have had with some success. The hardest part for me is keeping the reticle on the target long enough to launch missiles. Start a considerable distance away from your target, and fly straight towards it. Get your reticle pretty close to the target, make sure it stays there at least a second, and hit the trim button. Make more minor ajustments, trim again. Keeping doing so until you are within an acceptable range from the target and you are satisfied to the most part with your HUD reticle alignment. Fire. Pull away and reset the trim.

I often use it when hovering and fiddling with the datalink or some such, but for strafing runs I find it easier to trim out nice and keep constant speed and alt throughout the run..

Yep. :joystick:

In clarification, I would differentiate b/w 'fun' quick missions, where strafing and rocket attacks are the norm, and 'serious', ie campaign mode where staying the hell back and using Shkval is SOP. If I'm using FD during a campaign mission, then I've screwed up.

I was reading that rotor downwash affects the angle of rockets as they are fired because of the air pushing on the fins. From a low hover, the rockets would get pushed first down, then up from the air pad you are creating. Firing from altitude with forward motion would create the most favorable launch conditions for accuracy. Are these effects modeled in DCS?

edit: Link to source

Edited by drhow