A Hydra hands-on @TR

Yep, it worth my comment at least.

I've been tracking if for god knows how long now. It's a really promising technology. With it, I can just plug in the new video card without throwing out the old one. And it's supports MULTISCREEN! Should be interesting to play with.

Now I just need to squeeze some dollars out of my wallet......

hi M.I.C,

I was wondering if the article might have put people off somehow from responding. Thanks for your input. Maybe the concept does not come across well for simmers (whose gaming satisfaction is more CPU intensive)? Perhaps the added cost is not justified beyond X-Fire or SLi. Maybe the "mix-and-match of GPUs" concept seems too much a gimmick? I guess we'll have to wait for more testing and results to be posted about he web. I'll keep a look-out.

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

I wasn't put off by the article, but I have to say I'm disappointed about the delay of Hydra coming to the market place. The article was interesting in spite of the limitations they were working under. Obviously, much remains to be determined once we can see a commercially available product with mature drivers, etc.

Hydra (supposedly) being on the near horizon was one of the things that made it easier for me to hold off on pulling the trigger on a new computer for gaming/simming [That, and letting my funds build up more]. It was way down my list of considerations due to expecting the MSI Big Bang mobo to be the 1156 socket, whereas I'd prefer to go with the 1366. But I'm not locked in by any purchases yet, and new information can sway a decision.

I think a solution that can tap into the power lying within multiple / disparate GPUs has a bright future if it is well executed. There is a lot of potential processing power being wasted in SLI / Crossfire rigs, let alone the interesting possibilities of hybrid rigs that might be able to be exploited.

The folks behind Hydra seem to be making moves consistent with the 'get it right' approach. I wish there was a (1366 socket based Hydra mobo) light visibly shining at the end of the tunnel, but right now I don't see it within range. Yet another big question mark, to go along with the eventual nVidia 300 series and what additional moves ATI is going to make with the 58xx series / Eyefinity...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

more related links

Hydra is looking a bit more hopeful as we hear more from around the web:

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Lucid-Hydra-200-MultiGPU-Performance-Revealed/?page=1

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=815&type=expert&pid=1

but still mor testing seems to be in order. ;)

Flyby out

hi M.I.C,

I was wondering if the article might have put people off somehow from responding. Thanks for your input. Maybe the concept does not come across well for simmers (whose gaming satisfaction is more CPU intensive)? Perhaps the added cost is not justified beyond X-Fire or SLi. Maybe the "mix-and-match of GPUs" concept seems too much a gimmick? I guess we'll have to wait for more testing and results to be posted about he web. I'll keep a look-out.

Flyby out

You're tight about mix-and-match being a gimmick, I don't care about that, cause I, like a lot of people, tend to stay with either Nvidia or ATI. Nvidia in my case. However, what I really care about is being able to take advantage of my old card while upgrading and the multi monitor capability which they sadly did not show.

You're tight about mix-and-match being a gimmick, I don't care about that, cause I, like a lot of people, tend to stay with either Nvidia or ATI. Nvidia in my case. However, what I really care about is being able to take advantage of my old card while upgrading and the multi monitor capability which they sadly did not show.

hi M.I.C.

Actually I was saying some people might see the mix-and-match of GPUs as a gimmick. That statement was unintentionally misleading on my part. I apologize for that. Hydra has demonstrated that aspect of it's technology works quite well. I saw one graph where an ATi and an Nvidia card worked quite well together under Win7 (because that OS allows for the use of each card's driver). Now, it seems that Lucid needs to upgrade it's software to run better in Win7, as it was stated that most of the development was done under Vista.

I am sort of an Nvidia fan, but the reasons for that are long outdated (superior OpenGL performance). Now I'm looking to go with whichever company meets my price/performance needs. For instance, I was leaning towards the GTX285, but why do that if the 5850 is a match for it, and out-performs it in price? Then there's the 5870. Nvidia has been slow to release details of it's GT300 series, and late out the gate with production models, though ATi has a problem with supplying enough 58xx cards to take advantage of Nvidia's slothful ways. Both companies seem not to be able to secure sufficient quantities of those 40sm wafers.

It all makes my brain swell!:(

Flyby out

hi M.I.C.

Actually I was saying some people might see the mix-and-match of GPUs as a gimmick. That statement was unintentionally misleading on my part. I apologize for that. Hydra has demonstrated that aspect of it's technology works quite well. I saw one graph where an ATi and an Nvidia card worked quite well together under Win7 (because that OS allows for the use of each card's driver). Now, it seems that Lucid needs to upgrade it's software to run better in Win7, as it was stated that most of the development was done under Vista.

I am sort of an Nvidia fan, but the reasons for that are long outdated (superior OpenGL performance). Now I'm looking to go with whichever company meets my price/performance needs. For instance, I was leaning towards the GTX285, but why do that if the 5850 is a match for it, and out-performs it in price? Then there's the 5870. Nvidia has been slow to release details of it's GT300 series, and late out the gate with production models, though ATi has a problem with supplying enough 58xx cards to take advantage of Nvidia's slothful ways. Both companies seem not to be able to secure sufficient quantities of those 40sm wafers.

It all makes my brain swell!:(

Flyby out

No need for apology. You were just making your point, and I did not take it as offense or anything.

Now I guess I'll have to apologize for unintentionally misleading you into thinking that your statement has unintentionally misled me.

Can we stop with this apology thing now? It's getting kind of messy.;)

Anyway, I think the point is, we both agrees that HYDRA IS AWESOME!

agreed!

Yeah, I think Hydra will be awesome. It's competitive performance will be good for consumers. Maybe it will spur ATi and Nvidia to take another look at their packages?

Flyby out

ps I apologize for apologizing. :megalol: