Announcing Flaming Cliffs 2.0

Wags

...The Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics will release Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2.0 in early 2010.

Wow, I guess there is a Santa Clause. I'm in for a hard copy.

Thx for the work TFC & ED.

Hair on the wall... Blood in the street... The

crush of bone ' neath my feet.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like this too. I wouldn't count on it being there but...

I think the potential is there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but people have made custom cockpits with working guages (ADA Alpha jet) albeit without a HUD or MFD. So, the very fact that this either the "secret" has not yet been figured out, or can not be done in the current state of lockon is the reason no new cockpit have really been perused. So, I guess the answer to your wish would come in the form slightly more open code in 2.0 or documentation by ED showing how this can be done.

In any case, I wouldn't count on this happening and I think we're going to have to be content with the current "half-3d" pits we have now. Hopefully all pits will get a significant makeover. Ricardo is nearing the completion of the Russian pits. Next would be the the F-15 pits, and I'm sure if FC 2.0 will breath new life into lockon, another modder will appear to take up the challenge.

A long winded answer, but I hope it (kinda) answers your question...

Aero

Well, I wish the cockpits were not so "hard coded". The open architecture would boost the community!

and the amount of undesireable effects :music_whistling:

?? Would you mind informing us of this? I'm curious.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

ah come on, do I have to spell it out for you?

Jeez, I'm sorry kuky. I assumed you were talking from a modders perspective, as in graphical glitches.

So... I must apologize I couldn't read you mind across the internet. Next time I'll have to remember to do that... </sarcasm>

Thanks for making a complete fool of me. I love it when people do that. :doh:

Aero

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

My suspicion is that he is worried about things like transparent cockpits (for improved visibility) or cockpits that give other advantages through, f.ex, making a larger Shkval or FLIR screen, giving aircraft instrumentation that they shouldn't have (let's give the standard Su25 an F-15 HUD, f.ex).

I don't share his fears, but I would suspect that it's something along those lines.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

My suspicion is that he is worried about things like transparent cockpits (for improved visibility) or cockpits that give other advantages through, f.ex, making a larger Shkval or FLIR screen, giving aircraft instrumentation that they shouldn't have (let's give the standard Su25 an F-15 HUD, f.ex).

I don't share his fears, but I would suspect that it's something along those lines.

A reasonable explanation. I would have appreciated that over "You're not worth talking to, Aero, you dumbsh*t" :thumbdown:

Thanks

Aero

Will there be other payment options by then on the ED website?

I would have preferred to also buy DCS:BS from there but couldn't because i don't have an credit card.

Now im stuck whit direct 2 download......

I hope something like PayPal or click and buy would be added to the list of payment options.

I hope there will be some options. I'm stuck without credit card and it's virtually impossible to get the Black Shark printed manual. It's listed on German Amazon, but never has been available. At least I have asked someone else with a CC to buy it for me from Amazon.com, so I'll get it as soon as they have it in stock again.

PayPal could be a problem though... they don't allow payments to Russia. I could not get the Rise of Flight planes for a long time because of that, until they made a contract with 777 Studios in the US, so the payments via PayPal go there instead.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

A reasonable explanation. I would have appreciated that over "You're not worth talking to, Aero, you dumbsh*t" :thumbdown:

Thanks

Aero

hehehe, no.... I just didn't want to tell the same ol' story again :D

Truth is, with open source code it's wide open to missuse and beside making new cockpits, which I think would be great, there comes an issue of how correct they are, well not just visually, but aso what systems are they given, what capability etc... how FM is coded... it's all open to interpretation of individual who might, and more likely might not get these right... so we end up with tons of user made aircraft which are not to standards... sure for fun I wouldn't care, I would like that Orao and MiG-21 ETC as flyable but how correct they would get.. who knows.

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

...stupid americans:cry:

Almost as Stupid as a whole Country's people speculating on Tulips to the point where thier economy collapses, then blaming the whole incident on the imaginary goddess Flora.

Almost, but not quite.

Hair on the wall... Blood in the street... The

crush of bone ' neath my feet.

hehehe, no.... I just didn't want to tell the same ol' story again :D

Truth is, with open source code it's wide open to missuse and beside making new cockpits, which I think would be great, there comes an issue of how correct they are, well not just visually, but aso what systems are they given, what capability etc... how FM is coded... it's all open to interpretation of individual who might, and more likely might not get these right... so we end up with tons of user made aircraft which are not to standards... sure for fun I wouldn't care, I would like that Orao and MiG-21 ETC as flyable but how correct they would get.. who knows.

Ok fair enough. However, the potential is currently there to make a working cockpit like

. All the gauges work and everything, it only lacks the HUD and MFD. Now I'm not suggesting additional information to be presented in the cockpit that is not shown by default, I'm suggesting all the same information be used, just be shown on a new 3D cockpit model. All that needs to be figured out is how to get the HUD and MFD in a custom cockpit.

Of course, this is just wishful thinking.

Aero

Ok fair enough. However, the potential is currently there to make a working cockpit like
. All the gauges work and everything, it only lacks the HUD and MFD. Now I'm not suggesting additional information to be presented in the cockpit that is not shown by default, I'm suggesting all the same information be used, just be shown on a new 3D cockpit model. All that needs to be figured out is how to get the HUD and MFD in a custom cockpit.

Of course, this is just wishful thinking.

Aero

Wait, wait, wait...Video says it's a LO model? We clearly see it over Sochi-Adler but which game is cockpit from, Fs-X?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

....but which game is cockpit from, Fs-X?

Re-Skinned LockOn Cockpit akin to ADA Mod I would have thought.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Almost as Stupid as a whole Country's people speculating on Tulips to the point where thier economy collapses, then blaming the whole incident on the imaginary goddess Flora.

Well,.... the same happened a year or so in a country were we have some greedy bankers:)

Intel Core i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G

PayPal could be a problem though... they don't allow payments to Russia.

Then I could recommend purchasing it from TFC (http://www.kengray.co.uk/lockonbuy.htm). That's in the UK and also ensures that TFC/ED gets maximum share in the sales value. :)

I understand your concern for reawakening that old flamewar, but as long as we stay adult about it it'll be allright - even though it is slightly OT for this thread.

But basically, I have an issue with your opening sentence there. This doesn't ring true with the facts that one of the most proprietary, locked-down, operating systems in the world (Windows) happens to be the one with the most vulnerabilities (granted that it's wider user base makes it a nicer target, though) while a whole slew of OpenSource operating systems where every single line of code is available to the public is considered trusted enough to be not only the backbone of the internet infrastructure - they are also considered safe enough to be used for operating nuclear power plants, weapon systems, military research facilities and so on. (And not only Linux, that one is better than W for security but most distributions do contain some locked code - and OSes OpenBSD have a better security record.)

Similarly, and this I'll have to frame as a question since it was a long time ago - how big are the cheat issues in the Falcon derivatives? OF is effectively fully open-source.

The thing is that open source is not an invitation for cheat - or rather, it's not ONLY an invitation for cheats. It's also an invitation for every knowledgeable coder out there to dig into the product and see what it does - and patch up security holes.

Granted, we're not talking about a fully open-source product here (it would be hard for TFC/ED to build a business on an open-source platform), but those parts that do become available for others to use will have a lot more people looking over them - making it far more likely that security problems are identified.

Add to that that many completely locked games through the years have had their fair share of cheaters getting away with it precisely because they happened to be good enough at either decompilation or HEXed to figure out ways of cheating - but no-one else had a clue how they did it. It then takes longer for the issue to be located and closed.

So it's all a balance. I do agree that there are possible concerns that you are raising, but those are concerns that do not come without advantages. And since we evidently have quite a few skilled coders using this software and many such involved with the Tester Team I feel quite safe in the knowledge that issues will be found, identified, tested and sorted out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well, I wish the cockpits were not so "hard coded". The open architecture would boost the community!

Thinking out loud here..........LockOn Platinum (Generalising here - Open to Correction) is basically the DCS Engine with LockOn Flyables, right?

Assuming the afore-said statement to be true, then the necessary Tools already exist for the Creation of new Flyables/Cockpits -

Eagle Dynamics DCS 3rd Party Support Packages

In an effort to better support 3rd party development of Digital Combat Simulator (DCS), Eagle Dynamics will create a set of plug-ins that will allow 3rd party developers far greater capability to modify and add to DCS. Current plug-in support includes:

• 6 DOF Cockpit Builder. This plug-in allows object builders to create new 6 DOF cockpits that can be assigned to DCS user-created aircraft.

• External Flight Model Linking. This software package allows the linking of 3rd party flight dynamic systems into DCS to control aircraft.

Also, in the coming weeks we will open a new, private forum for 3rd party developers. This forum will allow such developers to share ideas, talk with Eagle staff, and discuss their projects with their peers.

So...........It would appear after all that it is not the Tools that are Lacking, but Talented Modders to wield the Tools!

Takers, Anyone?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Wait, wait, wait...Video says it's a LO model? We clearly see it over Sochi-Adler but which game is cockpit from, Fs-X?

The AlphaJet and its cockpit is originally the FS2004 model from L. Correia.

It is currently under adaptation for LockOn by Airone & the AdA mod dev team.

The cockpit is in LockOn. The limitations are :

- no HUD (that's OK for AlphaJet E, as it doesn't have one IRL)

- no MFD (that's OK for AlphaJet E, as it doesn't have one IRL)

- multiple display issues (Z-order) that Airone is trying to solve. Let's hope he succeeds at the end.

So...........It would appear after all that it is not the Tools that are Lacking, but Talented Modders to wield the Tools!

Takers, Anyone?

AFAIK those tools aren't available for the moment. They surely will, then we'll have to let time to modders to make wonderful things. Let's be patient ;)

Cheers

Az'

• Like 1

spacer.png