Lockon used for Breitling Fighter Challenge 2005-The London Air Show

This year The London Air Show went easier on the pocket for me, only a couple of life jackets bought opposed to last year's colour GPS .

Enough of blabing, this year I noticed something that really shocked me by the way of presentation: Breitling Fighter Challenge 2005!

The setup was as following:

Two pits, operators console in the middle and the screen in front for the crowd with the same output as operators console.

And guess what this setup was running on? The subject gave it away: Lockon!

And how was it presented on Airshow's website:

"Incorporating cutting edge military software"

Pits:

Three screens (~40 inch) joint together next to each other

Saitek X-52 joystick

Nice low sitting pit ( I coudn't descibe this one properly in english, sorry)

Operators console:

40 inch screen

In beetween pits

Spectators screen:

40 inch screen

Reflecting view on operators console

In front of operators console

Due to arriving late I didn't have time to try it out myself nor to speak to any members of the Breitling team (I am kicking myself for this now), so I'll just post quick notes of what I observed:

- Mission was set over airfield in far south-west of the map

- 2 F-15s opposing each other from a mile (or less) apart

- Default radar mode set to key 3

- AMRAM missiles loaded

- Operators screen fliped beetween (default) F10 map view (to show planes relative to each other to public) and external view of planes. If someone was shoot down by missile operator would flick to F2 mode and public would laugh watching crippled plane going down in flames. Just imagine how they would react if they had seen FC FM with planes falling apart and going down in the thick black smoke in several sections! Sadly, they didn't show the missile view while I was there.

- Most of the people stalled, spun and crashed :biggrin: . Showes how Lomac is done nicely as a simulation, you just can't throw your plane around like there is no tommorow and expect not to get punished.

Some people managed to use missiles, boy did they spam, and there was one chap who even switched to guns.

- After a kill the game was over, operator would restart the mission only if planes spun or crashed early.

- There was no lag or any online multiplayer problems

The presentation was 1st class and I loved the fact our beloved Lockon was in the center of the attention. This is all about I can tell you and I hate the fact I had my camera on me last year, but not this one.

I wonder if ED has showed something like this to military, if not don't worry I'll collect my royalties later ;).

Link to brief description on The London Airshow Site:

http://www.londonairshow.co.uk/scripts/php/pages/page92.php

Always wondered if they would maybe somehow go over to the military side of things - who knows maybe they will get a call up sometime...

what made me laugh today when I showed my dad some of the demos (particularly the 25 aerobatic one) was he said.... `God that looks really good - remember the Krypton Factor (a UK quiz with a flight simulator section where they had to land... and got points for how good they were....) and the simulator they had a go in! ....` lol made me laugh at how much computers and graphics have come on.

• 2 weeks later...