Wings Of Prey

Total

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I didn't get the chance to play the Beta, so I can't compare the full version to it. But, I did play IL2 for a while, so I know my way around WW2 sims.

I've been playing WoP a bit today, and I have some first impressions:

Pros: Excellent atmosphere and visuals. Challenging campaign and AI. A no ****-er multi-player mode (even though there aren't many people online, If you do get into a match it is a hell of alot of fun...and yes I used hyperlobby in IL2). 3 different difficulties (arcade, realistic, simulation) which can be used in all tutorials, campaign missions, duels, and all MP modes (they even have different leaderboards for the 3 modes). The tutorials are simple, but informative. In the campaign, it gives you the option to take-off at the start, and also gives you essientaly the amount of "lives" to pick (if you crash, just press enter and you're right back into it). In the campaign, when you finish a mission, you can end it there, or fly back to base (which is normally a bad idea, because you're plane is normally torn to bits and won't make it most of the time...or maybe I'm just a bad pilot...). There are plenty of options to pick from in the display and control arena...You have the choice of controlling mixture, prop, and other engine stuff...From the handful of missions I've been through in the campaign, each was unique and immersive (a nice experiance from the mostly boring campaigns in IL2...IMO).

Cons: In sim mode, it is pretty difficult to fly the airplanes...But not as hard as IL2...I think IL2 has the edge in flight dynamics/crazy-flying-stuff, but it's hardly an edge...Most simmers won't care...This isn't really a con, but because the visuals and detail are so dam amazing, it has to be packed into a smaller space. This isn't exact, but I want to guess that each map (in campaign mode) is 300/400km x 300/400km ...and that's a far guesss, it may be nothing near that. It's big enough to where you won't be running into boundries, atleast in my experiance...Again this isn't really a con, I actually prefer it, the sim is so much more immersive this way. A big con I see in the future will be DLC...I hate DLC, I mean look at IL2 1946 and ALL the aircraft you can fly in. WoP has a good amount of aircraft, but nothing to the amount of IL2...I think they will definitly milk us for more aircraft...I don't mind paying a few dollars for another campaign though, or more MP options.

This is it for now, I've only put in a few hours today, so don't take this as a legit review...Just my first impressions, all in my opinion.

Have a good christmas.

Well I didn't get the chance to play the Beta, so I can't compare the full version to it. But, I did play IL2 for a while, so I know my way around WW2 sims.

I've been playing WoP a bit today, and I have some first impressions:

Pros: Excellent atmosphere and visuals. Challenging campaign and AI. A no ****-er multi-player mode (even though there aren't many people online, If you do get into a match it is a hell of alot of fun...and yes I used hyperlobby in IL2). 3 different difficulties (arcade, realistic, simulation) which can be used in all tutorials, campaign missions, duels, and all MP modes (they even have different leaderboards for the 3 modes). The tutorials are simple, but informative. In the campaign, it gives you the option to take-off at the start, and also gives you essientaly the amount of "lives" to pick (if you crash, just press enter and you're right back into it). In the campaign, when you finish a mission, you can end it there, or fly back to base (which is normally a bad idea, because you're plane is normally torn to bits and won't make it most of the time...or maybe I'm just a bad pilot...). There are plenty of options to pick from in the display and control arena...You have the choice of controlling mixture, prop, and other engine stuff...From the handful of missions I've been through in the campaign, each was unique and immersive (a nice experiance from the mostly boring campaigns in IL2...IMO).

Cons: In sim mode, it is pretty difficult to fly the airplanes...But not as hard as IL2...I think IL2 has the edge in flight dynamics/crazy-flying-stuff, but it's hardly an edge...Most simmers won't care...This isn't really a con, but because the visuals and detail are so dam amazing, it has to be packed into a smaller space. This isn't exact, but I want to guess that each map (in campaign mode) is 300/400km x 300/400km ...and that's a far guesss, it may be nothing near that. It's big enough to where you won't be running into boundries, atleast in my experiance...Again this isn't really a con, I actually prefer it, the sim is so much more immersive this way. A big con I see in the future will be DLC...I hate DLC, I mean look at IL2 1946 and ALL the aircraft you can fly in. WoP has a good amount of aircraft, but nothing to the amount of IL2...I think they will definitly milk us for more aircraft...I don't mind paying a few dollars for another campaign though, or more MP options.

This is it for now, I've only put in a few hours today, so don't take this as a legit review...Just my first impressions, all in my opinion.

Have a good christmas.

see you in the virtual wop skies ...soon

Just played for about 20 minutes (single player). One can generally get an idea of the quality of a sim by looking at the interface options, GUI setup, and the intial feel of the aircraft in flight. Mind you, I said an "idea". That, by no means, insinuates that I can make a solid opinion on the game yet ;)

Initial impressions:

I put it into simulator mode (why bother with any other!). Stalls, spinouts, etc all are there. Flight Models feel like IL-2, but with a little more feel to them. That may be because the enviroment has a much better depth of field than IL-2 did.

I was an IL-2 junkie for years (still am - love my P-38!), but I am approaching this game like I do every game. As its pwn title! I'm not going to compare it to IL-2 from here on out. IL-2 is a reference point, but that's all. WoP is it's own title and therefor should be looked at as it's own game. I will continue to play IL-2...and FC....and BS....and ArmA2....and Starcraft2 when it comes out. Damn, I'm gonna be busy LOL!!

The overall look and sound of the game is much better than IL-2, but that should have been a given due to tech advances. The cockpits are gorgeous. It's fully compatible with my triplehead2go and TrackIR5 already has it as a game update.

Also - for those wondering if trees are collision objects, the answer is yes. that was one of the first things I checked. Then I checked to see if the flight dynamics were sim or BF42-style. I immediately went into a flat spin that I did not recover out of, but I also did not have my flaps mapped to my stick yet either lol!

The one con I can find so far is that it appears that additional planes and such are purchased. The upswing, they're not overly expensive like many of the pay to fly planes in some other sims. The P-40 is a whopping $3.

I have not explored the editor or online play as of yet. Still mapping controls and such. I'll post some vids of the interface and some flight time over the weekend.

Edited by Total

Looks like I'm going to take the plunge as well! Got a few things to do before the purchase (kitchen reno's) so I won't have too much time to play. I can't buy and not play, I'd rather hold off buying....otherwise like a cracked out druggie i'll be looking to get my fix when I should be sleeping. ;)

From oneof the developers:

First of all - thank you guys for your work and feedback.

We have made 12 updates for 25 days, which included more then 300 uodates (bugfix, new features and so on). Work is not finished, of course. But we'll make only one update this year, and then will have vacations. So next update won't be earlier then 18th of January.

Here are list (and may be not full - we are still sorting your feedback):

Common issues and suggestion:

* more views: guncam, following camera

* more relaistic weapons deviation depending on plane and construction with vibrations from firing

* replay - switching planes

* forcefeedback

* option for allowed views in MP

* option fow allowed markers in MP

* animation of wing slats

* animation of wheels

* effect from wheels and engine on surface

* support of some joysticks (X-45 for example)

* pause button for sreenshots (not in mp of course)

* different visual effects of cannon and machine guns hits

* settings for zoom speed

* torpedos and skip-bombing

* different volume for music in game and in menu

* animations for prop pitch in cockpit

* suggestion for enhanicng visual of oil on glass

* animated pilots in cockpits

* different flatter and wep camera vibration

* hotkey for reset all trimmers

* more clear view in clear weather (less haze)

* sounds for Ju-87

* setting for accleration of camera rotaion and zoom

* better effects of burning planes and fire on the surface

* "INDIKATOR FLESH" (two mistypes) on spitfire wing

* realistic bomb-view

Multiplayer:

* option for gun divergence setting in a select plane menu

* lots of lags on bad connections

* optinal markers for match settings

* main chat for all gamers

* option to change side in MP

* push-to-talk

* option for take-off\start in air

* Option for reloading weapons

* score system needs changes

Features requested and planned:

* dedicated server

* votes

* co-op

* mission editor

* quick mission editor

* plane customizations

Suggestion that are not going to be don for different reasons

* Bailouts are possible on high altitudes

* paratroopers are ghosts

* changing head position from joystick

* wingemn in training

* navigation lights

I have not explored the editor or online play as of yet. Still mapping controls and such. I'll post some vids of the interface and some flight time over the weekend.

So.... the game does have a mission editor???

Because I was pretty sure I've read some ware that it not supposed to have one...

:huh:

Edited by REL

Anybody got a Guide as to how One gets his hands on a Copy sans Credit Card? Not even accepting my Mastercard atm.

Here I am Salivating at the thought of Downloading, Ready, Willing and Able to Spend the Pounds but unable to. A Marketing Catastrophe! Oh Well - Probably not in a Hurry for Business then :music_whistling:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Anybody got a Guide as to how One gets his hands on a Copy sans Credit Card? Not even accepting my Mastercard atm.

Here I am Salivating at the thought of Downloading, Ready, Willing and Able to Spend the Pounds but unable to. A Marketing Catastrophe! Oh Well - Probably not in a Hurry for Business then :music_whistling:

Did you try emailing YuPlay's support? or posting on the forum?

Developer has said that Paypal will be an option in January.

My feelings in the game are mediocure so far. I haven't had a lot of time to play all that much as of yet, but I need to tweak my deadzone or something. Way too easy to stall and spin these planes. Tracers look really nice, graphic are nice as well. Big fps difference between virtual cockpit and no pit I find.

I really need to get my controls in order though, razorbacks p47 in fsx is a way more stable model that the p47 in wop.

Yeah, it took me a while to find the right settings for my CH setup...didn't have to mess with the dead zones though, just the linearity.

And yeah, some planes are harder to control than others. The best planes for stability imo are the BF109s, and I also prefer those while playing online. The spitfires aren't bad either.

For those who are looking at youtube vids and still wondering yay or nay, I am in process of making a two part video review of WoP.

Part 1 will be exploring the GUI of WoP (it's rendering now as I type).

Part 2 will be inflight footage from the cockpit in simulation mode (no external views, no HUD info, etc). I put a couple of aircraft through the paces and explore the overall look, feel, and immersion of the game.

These should be up on youtube (or vimeo - still deciding) within the next 12 hours or so.

Be advised though, I am not the expert pilot/narrator that Ironhand is nor do I possess the gifted video editing of Glowing Amraam. Just trying to give some info to the community. A community that, since I am part of, I know is a bit timid on new titles. Especially when the title seemingly appeared out of nowhere like WoP did. Hopefully these two videos will give you some of the info you've been looking for :)

• Like 2