Suggestion Box

EvilBivol-1

Edit signature now exists, the default window is quite small 500x500 pixels roughly, the vertical can be expanded but can't expand it horizontally (unless with dev tools in browser) so it's hard to fit those long lines of PC specs.

Secondly, I couldn't confirm it because it has a 1000 char limit including BB code so that's a big bummer.

I have 2 PCs now ... 3 to be exact but that one won't really count, so I got a bit to fill, but yeah I may not use the second PC for DCS mainly however I could do it for testing purposes so I wanted to include those specs too.

It's not that huge, I can and plan to do my bug reports more professionally, posting detailed specs right there that were used to do a test, but it would help to copy paste if I had the signature as a cache of sorts.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Suggestion: it it ain't broke, don't fix it. The forums were very good, afaict they're now worse.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

1. Stop testing on a live site

2. Get a web developer

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

1. Stop testing on a live site

2. Get a web developer

They working in good direction. After all "we want old forum.." - we are "close" to that but with updated forum application. Also with every new version some features can be changed, moved, removed, renamed...so, users & admins in same time need some adaptation time. On live site - why not.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Can we please get the "Go to first unread post" button on every topic like we had before? It's really annoying to go in a topic and then manually go to the page I think I visited last time and finding what's new.
It is there, but as a very small set of downward arrows to the left of the thread title

Away from PC - sent using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I think showing signatures should be enabled by default for everyone, unless they had it disabled from before. I don't think over 50% of the forum would go and specifically enable them, infact perhaps 20% would do that at most at some point so I think it's kinda worthless if nobody sees it, not that signatures have super important info but what's the point otherwise.

Not sure if the forum can force it on automatically for everyone after the fact. At least for those who had it turned on before.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Standalone thread here: https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/customer-support/forum-and-site-issues/7138098-just-an-idea

Not sure if it would be better suited here, in the 'suggestion box' or best to hope it gets noticed in it's original thread...... Apologies for a double post but I have received quite a few messages regarding the suggestion, majority being positive in reaction to the suggestion.

Just an idea:

I see that the F-16C forum has a sub forum, labeled 'verified bugs' section. This is a nice idea, wondering if this could be used more successfully (as other aircraft forums only have a section labeled bugs, example: F18C forum) as currently the title is misleading, not correct in many examples as there are threads labeled as 'unable to reproduce' or other acknowledgements that indicate they are indeed not verified bugs.......

SUGGESTION:

Seems like it could be more logical, and far more helpful - to have a 'verified bugs' section and a 'bugs' section in each respective sub forum. Then, once a bug has been confirmed (or actually verified/acknowledged by ED), that thread would be moved to the verified section and hopefully closed, therefore making searching for bugs a bit easier/clearer - and could possibly result in a decrease of the plethora of multiple threads regarding the same topic/issue. You could even update the sticky thread 'things to know before you post' to direct people to search the 'verified bugs section' prior to creating a thread in the bug section.

If I was not clear regarding my point, I'd be happy to try and explain better.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Absolutly nothing important and many wont use it, but can the "Contact Information" in the user profile be updated to a bit more up to date services? "AIM", "Google Talk", "Skype", "Yahoo! Messenger" and "ICQ" seems a bit dated.

When I see those options I think I'm back in 2010 :lol:.

Believe a Discord username would be a valid and up to date selection.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

• 2 weeks later...

* When narrowing window the bar of buttons contracts removing buttons

Make it add a second row, like how one would expect any board to work.

*Add plain text format button.

Currently I can't figure out how to remove a quotation formatting

* Add unlink button.

There's a make-hypertext-of-selected-text button (left of quotation button). Needs a remove-hyper-text-link-of-selected-text button. So, there is a Remove-Link button that appears, sometimes ..., when clicking the make-hypertext-of-selected-text, still better to have a direct unlink button.

* Add go-to-last-post button.

In addition to the existing go-to-last-unread-post button. Make both blue instead of yellow.

* Navigation at top disappears when zooming in to 150% or more.

Don't ask why anyone would, I do, for reasons. Example:

"Home > News > Official updates"

"Home   > English > DCS World War II > DCS: Spitfire L.F. Mk. IX > Bugs and Problems"

And make this navigation blue or at least not the faded barely visible grayish. It's a major webpage functionality item.

* Make the yellow on black major delimiters texts a much bigger font size.

Example "DCS World War II". Imagine the black background.

* Overall, graphically, seems a lot of wasted blank space taking up screen real estate

* Remove default behavior of always unbidden making an attachment when link to external image

* I cannot edit old posts

* Finally. Big sad.  The really great set of old smileys seems to be gone. Yes, there's a generic set now, mostly uninteresting. There was this sophisticated animated puke smiley for example that I first noticed maybe 15 years ago on other boards and was happy to rediscover on DCS board. Having been around a good while I'd say the smileys that was, were a really good set of the old classics.

Edited by -0303-
  • Like 1

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Very important. Make a usable good advanced search function.  We simply have to have this to be able to research and make useful bug reports for instance.

Unless I miss something, the "advanced search" options are severely limited. Need efficient search of forums by date, by username, by subforum hierarchy, and or logic of keywords, and more things I don't remember straight up ...

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

1 hour ago, -0303- said:

+800

The new editor is very nice and all, but it is really tiresome and unintuitive to work with for any kind of complex post — quotes especially are a nightmare to work with, even at a basic level. Trying to add quotes in an edit is just laughably cumbersome.

Just in general, as with a number of the points -0303- lists, there's just too much automation for things you might not want to automate. A “clever” editor will always be incomparably stupid as far as trying to figure out what you want to do with the links you offer it. Plain-formatting, direct-markup is always the best way around those issues because you can be vastly more precise in exactly what you want to do with the text.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Another suggestion: don't oblige people to enter a date of birth in order to sign back into the forum. Even (as I have) an entirely fictitious one. There is no reason whatsoever why a forum like this should even include this as an option, never mind try to make it compulsory (which I'd have to assume wasn't intended). People should not be encouraged to disclose personal details.

• ED Team

16 часов назад, -0303- сказал:

* When narrowing window the bar of buttons contracts removing buttons

Make it add a second row, like how one would expect any board to work.

* Add unlink button.

There's a make-hypertext-of-selected-text button (left of quotation button). Needs a remove-hyper-text-link-of-selected-text button. So, there is a Remove-Link button that appears, sometimes ..., when clicking the make-hypertext-of-selected-text, still better to have a direct unlink button.

* Add go-to-last-post button.

In addition to the existing go-to-last-unread-post button. Make both blue instead of yellow.

* Navigation at top disappears when zooming in to 150% or more.

Don't ask why anyone would, I do, for reasons. Example:

"Home > News > Official updates"

"Home   > English > DCS World War II > DCS: Spitfire L.F. Mk. IX > Bugs and Problems"

And make this navigation blue or at least not the faded barely visible grayish. It's a major webpage functionality item.

* Make the yellow on black major delimiters texts a much bigger font size.

Example "DCS World War II". Imagine the black background.

* Overall, graphically, seems a lot of wasted blank space taking up screen real estate

* Remove default behavior of always unbidden making an attachment when link to external image

* I cannot edit old posts

* Finally. Big sad.  The really great set of old smileys seems to be gone. Yes, there's a generic set now, mostly uninteresting. There was this sophisticated animated puke smiley for example that I first noticed maybe 15 years ago on other boards and was happy to rediscover on DCS board. Having been around a good while I'd say the smileys that was, were a really good set of the old classics.

Thank you for these detailed suggestions!

Editor will now have additional rows on narrow screens

Remove format button can be found on the toolbar.

Old posts can now be edited and old smileys were imported under Classic category.

Other suggestions will be considered.

• Thanks 1

image_259187.png.12ec9a78d99caec431e08ab83fd4ee4d.png

• ED Team
12 минут назад, sc_neo сказал:

Add the old (purple-greyish) visual style as an additional option. This was very unique and appealing. The new style is serviceable but fairly common as well.

Maybe, we will make it.

A private board I'm on (vBulletin) is so similar I think it's a derivative or same software with other settings. I use Images from that board to illustrate.

* I asked for "make-hypertext-of-selected-text" and "remove-hyper-text-link-of-selected-text button. Better named "link" and "unlink" buttons maybe.

Here's these buttons (blue circled) arranged on that vBulletin board (also shoving auto transforming into double rows). Links in text should be blue and underscored (internet standard) for visibility. Start of this point they're black ("asked for"). vBulletin board skips underscoring ("Linking to something").

spacer.png

* I also asked for a "plain text" button.

I meant a button that shows the plain text source code. We had that on the old board. Red circled is a "Source" button and a "Remove Format" button (on the private vBulletin board). It seems we now have the latter (that removes italics, bolding, color ...) but we still don't have the former. Seeing only the plain code is often very useful, and again, we had that on the old board.

* Green circled (above) is an "Image" button.

I discovered the "Other Media" dropdown that works similarly. I wouldn't mind an "Image" button too though.

But ... image handling now has a  new functionality I long wished for. Size customization regardless of original image size. Again, a near identical (doubleclick) functionality on the "vBulletin" board. Except one thing that this board lacks. A button to resize to original image size. Image from vBulletin board. Red circled button resets to original image size. This is probably something that can be enabled. Now one have to delete and start over, if original size is wanted.

spacer.png

* Number each post so they can be textually referenced like: "post #7". Had this on the old board.

* I asked "Navigation at top disappears when zooming in to 150% or more". Illustration.

spacer.png

I watch from a distance sometimes (for "reasons") and zoom in to 120-200%. This navigation disappears when zooming in depending on zoom level and window width. It shouldn't. Also, use a high visibility color. Blue is the link color ... but any highly visible color is fine. Plain black is fine if white'ish background.

* The puke smiley is back.

:puke::worthy:       :drinks_drunk:      :music_whistling:     :cry_2:   :pilotfly:     :gun_rifle:     :Flush:      :kiss:

Notice yellow to green, chins swelling, how it comes out of the noose, that's artistry. Put "Eagle Dynamics" collection at top, instead of last.

* Clicking "Profile" on (up top) Account Drop-Down might want to default to "See my activity" page.

Because that's 90% of reason one goes there I figure. To locate one's own old posts. It need not list either "Topics" or "Posts" immediately. I figure that might strain the board if it always did a search on clicking "Profile". The "See my activity" might even be located on the Account drop down up top  every page.

Edited by -0303-

Is there a Tag policy? Are tags encouraged? I think tags are great.

• ED Team
On 12/5/2020 at 8:07 PM, -0303- said:

A private board I'm on (vBulletin) is so similar I think it's a derivative or same software with other settings. I use Images from that board to illustrate.

* I asked for "make-hypertext-of-selected-text" and "remove-hyper-text-link-of-selected-text button. Better named "link" and "unlink" buttons maybe.

Here's these buttons (blue circled) arranged on that vBulletin board (also shoving auto transforming into double rows). Links in text should be blue and underscored (internet standard) for visibility. Start of this point they're black ("asked for"). vBulletin board skips underscoring ("Linking to something").

spacer.png

This can be done by clicking Link button on actual link and there you will see "Remove link" button, functionality is the same.

* I also asked for a "plain text" button.

I meant a button that shows the plain text source code. We had that on the old board. Red circled is a "Source" button and a "Remove Format" button (on the private vBulletin board). It seems we now have the latter (that removes italics, bolding, color ...) but we still don't have the former. Seeing only the plain code is often very useful, and again, we had that on the old board.

The first button in the editor will remove formatting. Unfortunately, source code was possible only with BBCodes, now it is not supported.

* Green circled (above) is an "Image" button.

I discovered the "Other Media" dropdown that works similarly. I wouldn't mind an "Image" button too though.

But ... image handling now has a  new functionality I long wished for. Size customization regardless of original image size. Again, a near identical (doubleclick) functionality on the "vBulletin" board. Except one thing that this board lacks. A button to resize to original image size. Image from vBulletin board. Red circled button resets to original image size. This is probably something that can be enabled. Now one have to delete and start over, if original size is wanted.

spacer.png

Added.

* Number each post so they can be textually referenced like: "post #7". Had this on the old board.

This option was replaced by comment number, you can get it by clicking post date. Unfortunately, post number is not supported.

* I asked "Navigation at top disappears when zooming in to 150% or more". Illustration.

spacer.png

I watch from a distance sometimes (for "reasons") and zoom in to 120-200%. This navigation disappears when zooming in depending on zoom level and window width. It shouldn't. Also, use a high visibility color. Blue is the link color ... but any highly visible color is fine. Plain black is fine if white'ish background.

Navigation will not disappear now.

* The puke smiley is back.

:puke::worthy:       :drinks_drunk:      :music_whistling:     :cry_2:   :pilotfly:     :gun_rifle:     :Flush:      :kiss:

Notice yellow to green, chins swelling, how it comes out of the noose, that's artistry. Put "Eagle Dynamics" collection at top, instead of last.

Unfortunately, editor does not support custom smiles category reorder

* Clicking "Profile" on (up top) Account Drop-Down might want to default to "See my activity" page.

Because that's 90% of reason one goes there I figure. To locate one's own old posts. It need not list either "Topics" or "Posts" immediately. I figure that might strain the board if it always did a search on clicking "Profile". The "See my activity" might even be located on the Account drop down up top  every page.

Added drop down menu item - Activity.

Unfortunately, source code was possible only with BBCodes, now it is not supported.

This is very sad. As this latest hiccup showed, there will always be a solid use-case for being able to do direct sourcecode markup because the editor is just vastly more clunky to work with and infinitely more likely to break at the drop of a hat.

Oh, and quoting no longer works properly — probably the same broken plugin that made replies not work at all.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• ED Team
Только что, Tippis сказал:

This is very sad. As this latest hiccup showed, there will always be a solid use-case for being able to do direct sourcecode markup because the editor is just vastly more clunky to work with and infinitely more likely to break at the drop of a hat.

Oh, and quoting no longer works properly — probably the same broken plugin that made replies not work at all.

Source code is available in HTML for site editors and administrators only now. We can't enable it for all due to security issues.

Quotation is a built-in plugin, please can you specify what is not working? We will ask Invision support.

4 minutes ago, const said:

Source code is available in HTML for site editors and administrators only now. We can't enable it for all due to security issues.

Quotation is a built-in plugin, please can you specify what is not working? We will ask Invision support.

I have no idea yet. It might just have been a part of the larger editor-didn't-work hiccup. I would click on “quote” and it would quote a completely different post, as if the wrong post ID was fed into the editor. It seems to be working now though so I probably spoke too soon.