APC

Hi everyone

I am creating a mission in which you have to safe your airfield from insurgents.

(whit a small twist though)

Anyway, i would like under certain conditions to let a small convoy of lets say 3 to 5 APC drive to a group of insurgents, unload the infantry and let the infantry supported by the APC's engage in an fire fight whit the insurgents.

Now the question is, which of the Russian listed APC's is capable of taking on for example a shilka and how many soldiers can it transport excluding the crew it takes to operate that APC?

Then a second question is more towards the insights of the mission editor itself. Is it possible to give any given convoy some kind of order to ignore enemy units in a certain area?

When i have driving those APCs towards there intended targets they come across some other enemy units which they engage while driving on. By the time they reach the intended target most of there ammo is expended and there of no use.......

Any help greatly appreciated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Now the question is, which of the Russian listed APC's is capable of taking on for example a shilka and how many soldiers can it transport excluding the crew it takes to operate that APC?

Use a couple of BMPs - they have reasonably big guns and missiles.

For the rest, use BTRs. You can look both up in google for troop capacity etc :)

When i have driving those APCs towards there intended targets they come across some other enemy units which they engage while driving on. By the time they reach the intended target most of there ammo is expended and there of no use.......

Any help greatly appreciated.

Do not spawn those units until the convoy passes, perhaps?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Ill sure google those units, thanx for giving me a direction in which to look

Do not spawn those units until the convoy passes, perhaps?

Due to the nature of the mission that isn't possible, though i might make it in such a way that the convoy does not pass that area untill all targets are destroyed there by the players. (its there primary objective)

If anyone else has idea/suggestions please let me know

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can "deactivate" the unit which they come across.

If I remember correctly, AI wont fire on Deactivated units.

So the activated units keep on driving past - shouldnt fire - and when they arrive somewhere else (a zone trigger) you can reactivate the group that was deactivated using that zone trigger.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Some times all you need is a lil bit of creativity. Thanx Panzer going to try that one out.

Thought, doesn't the AI units Disappear if you use the action Deactivate Group from the triggers menu?

***EDIT***

Ok just tested it using the following triggers

Once - Unit [x] in zone {x} - Deactivate group (1) (also made an text message to appear so i can see trigger activates)

Once - Unit [x] in zone {y} - Activate Group (1) (also made an text message to appear so i can see trigger activates)

From the texts from the triggers i can see both triggers get activated yet the following happens;

When 1st trigger activates, all units from group 1 disappear (activating yet another trigger that i made for when players destroyed that group)

Then when the 2nd trigger activates, i get the text message but the units do not reappear, is it not possible this way or am i doing something wrong?

***EDIT2***

Just did same but whit Unit Visible Before Start box activated for the group that had to be deactivated (group 1), same result as above

Plz let me know.

Edited by 159th_Falcon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thought, doesn't the AI units Disappear if you use the action Deactivate Group from the triggers menu?

No. They stay visible - but "inactive" AFAIK.

As for your results - uhm, weird. I might have gotten it wrong - I need to test it myself then. ;)

Sorry - keep testing, I might be able to test it later tonight, right now I gotta run off for work. ;)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

You are right. The deactivate trigger makes the group disappear. It is not possible to make the group reappear. An easy work around is to make a template out of your group, create a second group in the exact same place with same waypoints etc, and have them activate when you want the first group to "reactivate." This will simulate the "reactivation" you are looking for.

Unless they altered the way that the deactivate trigger works.

Lead Admin/Founder of Kilo-Tango Gaming Community

TKMR, thanks for the heads up - my bad, I remembered it incorrectly then :)

(EDIT: I think I confused it with an "delayed, inactive" group which have "Visible before start" enabled - which tends to sit and do nothing until it's activated).

Edited by Panzertard

In that case what i want to achieve is not possible.

Of-course, i can let Group A Deactivate and Activate Group B whit same units at same place though there is one problem.

It is very likely that by the time the Group A deactivates player have already killed some units and are busy killing the others, kinda strange to let it disappear then.

The second problem is that when Group B activates all units killed in Group A will also come back which is very unrealistic. Now i can think of a system to solve that using flags and unit explode function but then still i cannot account for the time between Group A and Group B.

What i (and probably all mission designers/developers) would lover very much is some sort of command option for each way-point. For example;

Ignore

Reactive Fire

Proactive Fire

Evade

What these commands would let the group do are the following

* Ignore, whatever happens, the group of units keap following there assigned route without firing at anything except Target Area's set in the mission editor

* Reactive Fire, return fire when the group receives incoming fire from hostile units but it should still stay on the assigned route from the mission editor and give priority to target zone's set in the mission editor

* Proactive Fire, fire at any spotted unit that is within weapons range of the unit, the group should still follow the planned route as was made in the mission editor, yet the target zone's get lower priority over the units that are spotted.

*Evade, when spotted by opfor or fired upon by opfor defert from the set route in the mission editor to drive around the hostile units without engaging them.

If possible additional commands can be envisioned like evading while giving defensive fire, or stay in area until all opfor (threads) are eliminated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]