So has anyone managed to get the ABRIS database feature to work?

Frederf

I've been trying to fly a GOW campaign mission "the right way" which is to mean completely ignoring default suicidal flight plan and make my own with fuel calcs, ToT, VNAV, INU update points that make sense, etc.

Anyway, I would very much like to use the ABRIS database (DTB) feature to load into a mission, do a lot of prep work, then database the result so I can reload the mission and fly it before it gets dark. Thank you ED for not having a better pre-flight environment because you think DCS users are more :joystick: than :book:.

So I go in to the mission, unload the current plan, draw a new one, save it to RAM, draw another one just for kicks, save it to RAM. Then I go to the DTB page and engage the SAVE mode, select navigation data and routes and save. I exit the mission, come back into the same mission file and... there's no saved information to load. The old plans are lost. What gives?

AFAIK it only works in the mission editor by choosing the "prepare mission" option. Anything you then draw onto the ABRIS map and additional flt plans are saved into the mission file when you go back to the editor and save the mission.

I agree 10000000% about the lack of any actual mission planning system though, it is very, very frustrating. Hopefully it'll come with A-10C, where it'll really be needed.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

So I go in to the mission, unload the current plan, draw a new one, save it to RAM, draw another one just for kicks, save it to RAM. Then I go to the DTB page and engage the SAVE mode, select navigation data and routes and save. I exit the mission, come back into the same mission file and... there's no saved information to load. The old plans are lost. What gives?

AFAIK thats about the correct procedure. I vagly remember the ability to name the flight plan as well - and then later the ability to load a plan with the given name.

I a bit busy right now, so I'm not able to confirm it right away.

Perhaps someone else with a clear memory of the procedure can confirm it?

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Yeah I realize that you can preload info into a mission into the ME but that's not what I'm asking. I'm a mission user not a mission editor.

Saving Route Plans to ABRIS Database

Although you can save route plans into the ABRIS system RAM through the PLAN sub-mode pages, you can also save a route plan into the ABRIS permanent database (i.e. your hard drive). If you do so, you will have the ability to load it the next time you fly the same mission. To do so:

1. Select the MENU operating mode and press the CTRL FSK button.

2. Press the SETUP FSK button. This will display a pop-up menu. Using the ∆-∆ FSK buttons or cursor manipulator control, select the DTB (DATABASE) option and press the SETUP FSK button again.

3. Press the SAVE FSK button and this will box NAVIGATION DATA in the ONBOARD STORAGE section.

4. Press the SAVE FSK button again and this will save the route plan in the navigation database.

5. Move the cursor to ROUTES and press the SAVE FSK button. This will save all the flight plan data.

6. Finally, once everything is saved, press the MENU FSK button to go back to MENU operating page.

This should work in the game normal. Do I really have to bust each of the campaign missions in the editor, likely spoiling all surprises the mission has in store, just to do some proper pre-flight planning?

Unfortunately, yes. As I said, the functions in question only work when in the editor "prepare mission".

It's very frustrating, but it's all we've got for now.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Indeed, I tried doing exactly what you have for ages. It eventually became clear that the manual isn't worded very clearly and it only works when preparing a mission.

Spoiler

Ah, I see what you guys mean.

How about tossing a feature request up into the DCS Wish List thread, you might never know, we might get lucky and get it into one of the later patches ;)

Already did Panzer, many, many months ago. Fingers crossed such a feature makes it into DCS sooner rather than later.

Spoiler

A pre-flight menu to allow the player to view and edit his flight route and payload without having to enter the ME is a big item on the internal wishlist. I'm pretty confident that we will see it, but not confident about exactly when yet.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Good to know EB. I've no doubt when it does make it into the sim it'll have been worth the wait.

Spoiler

A pre-flight menu to allow the player to view and edit his flight route and payload without having to enter the ME is a big item on the internal wishlist. I'm pretty confident that we will see it, but not confident about exactly when yet.

I think Falcon4 AFs is the best I've seen yet although regarding fast jets it would be good to expand on it a bit and have the ability to set individual targets for each member of the flight plus to incorporate a weapons delivery planner.:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

The OpenFalcon "data cartridge" system was even grander than FalconAF's IMHO. You could set HTS MFD page threat locations, frequencies for channels, and... well about everything else.

The Ka-50 doesn't have a data cartridge that I know of but one could simply relabel it to "Stuff the Crew Chief is supposed to do before I sit down in it."

The OpenFalcon "data cartridge" system was even grander than FalconAF's IMHO. You could set HTS MFD page threat locations, frequencies for channels, and... well about everything else.

"

Indeed, Open Falcon's level of features is pretty much the minimum I'd expect from such a feature if/when it's implemented in DCS.

I have exactly zero knowledge of Russian avionics so can't comment on that, but with NATO a/c the flightplan, threat locations, target locations, pre-programmed radio frequencies and countermeasures programs are all programmed on the ground at a desk by the pilot using mission planning systems (this can vary between a/c to a/c, some have more stuff set at planning stage, some less). In fact, some details cannot be added/edited in the cockpit at all.

Hopefully we'll see such a system in DCS before too long. As for the persistent airframe conditions, such as damage/switch positions. That is an interesting idea, I do like the idea of persistent damage, after all it takes us ground crew time to fix things so some more minor problems will be accepted by aircrew so they can go and fly, and we'll then fix them later on. I'm not sure about persistent switch positions though, after all you're not the only one who's going to use an aircraft, the ground crew will have to test/maintain systems and other pilots will go flying in your aircraft while you're not around. So not having switches where you left them isn't exactly unrealistic, it fact this is why pilots have shutdown procedures and check-list so that everything is left in the right state for the next guy who comes along.

Spoiler

Fair enough. I was thinking persistent switches would encourage people to shut down properly so they don't leave themselves a landmine for next time. On the flip side your preferences such as BR/RD altitude hold could be set and forget if you had a preference. Realistically, the Ka-50 probably doesn't get round-the-clock use so 1 pilot per airframe is probably ample but in a GOW campaign situation there would undoubtedly be multiple.

I'd be happy to have the preflight screen have a setting for "How many minutes prior to take off would you like to be in-seat?" Falcon managed to cater to all sorts of people from cold start to burning JP on the runway to IP point simply because you could choose at what point you jumped in. The idea of a DCS mission where you could take off, depart the cockpit and let the AI transit for 40 minutes, and then hop back in before the target is absolutely fantastic. Sadly that level of independence between mission instance and cockpit instance might be a pipedream. It's basically the case in multiplayer already so there is hope.

• 1 year later...
Unfortunately, yes. As I said, the functions in question only work when in the editor "prepare mission".

It's very frustrating, but it's all we've got for now.

So here we are nearly 2 years on ... BS2 released and as far as I can make out .... still no 'in-game' DTB functionality ...... !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you know differentley ....... ??

:pilotfly:

Oops nearly thought I was in a real helicopter there, looking at the amazing new graphics thanks ED. Almost forgot to make a bigger stink about the little details. :doh: Its never perfect is it?

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series

• 10 years later...
On 12/7/2011 at 3:07 AM, thinkr said:

Oops nearly thought I was in a real helicopter there, looking at the amazing new graphics thanks ED. Almost forgot to make a bigger stink about the little details. :doh: Its never perfect is it?

True beauty comes from within - of course, a splendid outward appearance is not to be scoffed at, either. 

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

• 2 weeks later...