Mission Editor Features Request Wishlist

Grimes

^ this.

slmod is not an option for me. That should be implemented in the vanilla version. When I make a mission, I want "players" so host and fly them without the need of installing additional mods or memorizing cryptic chat commands to use radio functions

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I've a really simple wish, maybe it looks useless and not important but I'm sure it's easily achievable (yes it is:D).

I'd like a Training Task in the ME for each aircraft (I'm standing for the A10) to allow the player to tidy up the loadout editor. It's a real mess in my loadout editor since I've tons and tons of presets for all my training missions. :smartass:

I think it's worth a special task, does it?:music_whistling:

Thanks!!

PS : I'm pretty sure it could be done by ourself but personally I'm too lazy to :book:

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

or memorizing cryptic chat commands to use radio functions

"-sol" is cryptic? :huh: btw, I understand and I also hope to see some radio menù implementation but... seems to be complicated ... :(

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

It is cryptic. I use the radios with my mic switch, not radio with mic switch plus eventually additional radio calls made by the mission designer by -sol command, or whatever its name is. It totally takes out the immersion of flying a realistic flight sim.

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

-sol was a reference of the POS system of SLmod, it simply calls a menù extremely similar to radio one.. but indeed it's not that much important, I still agree that having radio comms functional would be really interesting. ;)

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Hello.

Im working on a mission were the PLAYER is not the LEAD aircraft in a two ship flight but rather act as a wingman to the lead AI pilot.

Two things have come up that i feel would be good if they could be included in an update:

1. You can not assign the PLAYER to nr 2 in a group. The player has to be the LEAD aircraft.

I think it would be nice if a feature could be added to allow the mission builder to assign the player any possition within a group he/she choses.

The way i have done it now is to use 2 groups with 1 A10 in each with the AI group acting as lead. This causes minor problems though. The COMMs will not being correct and also prohibit simultainious takeoff from the runway.

2. Feature number 2 i would like included is the addition of a new option in

the PERFORM TASK options in the ADVANCED WAYPOINT and TRIGGER actions....

'ASSIGN TARGET'

With this you should be able to have a unit assigning a target and

broadcast that target as its SPI on the TAD...WITHOUT ENGAGING IT !

With this feature you could for example have a message...

'Attack triple A at my SPI'

And having the AI lead broadcast that target as his SPI. This would allow the AI to assign targets in a simular fashion to what human players do in multiplayer (if i'm not wrong)

• 2 weeks later...
Would like to see system to simulate transporting troops. This could be done by activating units based on the condition of a moving zone. Where that zone is located at the time the condition is met is where the unit activates.

Ah!! Thank you! I got a knot to my brain now!! (sarcasm) :lol:

Joke aside, you can do it via triggered actions. But what do you want to do with transport of troops?

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

Hi all,

I've a really simple wish, maybe it looks useless and not important but I'm sure it's easily achievable (yes it is:D).

I'd like a Training Task in the ME for each aircraft (I'm standing for the A10) to allow the player to tidy up the loadout editor. It's a real mess in my loadout editor since I've tons and tons of presets for all my training missions. :smartass:

I think it's worth a special task, does it?:music_whistling:

Thanks!!

PS : I'm pretty sure it could be done by ourself but personally I'm too lazy to :book:

Nevermind ED, I did it... :smartass:

Ah!! Thank you! I got a knot to my brain now!! (sarcasm) :lol:

Joke aside, you can do it via triggered actions. But what do you want to do with transport of troops?

No you can't. You can activate groups but only in the location where you set it in ME. In order to do it properly and in a more interesting way we need to be able to specify the location run time where the group activates. With this we could have truck column that spawns a MANPADS if it gets attacked from air or infantry unloading from or loading into APCs according to battle situation. You could carry troops, vehicles or supplies where you command a helicopter to go with CA module. Basically it would allow more randomness and dynamic adaptation in missions making them more realistic, immersive, entertaining and replayable.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

• 2 weeks later...

Yes but he did just mention transport of troops, not random attack from a enemy convoy. I understand what you want to do now. The crew should operates like in Arma and dismount when under fire. Got it.

Right now, with generated missions if I go into the editor and select the aircraft, I am prompted to save a new weapons loadout without actually seeing the configuration. My choices are to either ignore the existing payload and go with a standard payload, or save the payload, which adds it to unitPayloads.lua with no way to delete it (even if I remove the entry from the ME, it still populates the lua).

If there is no way to cleanly remove an entry from unitPayload.lua, then at least allow for the overwrite of New Payload until it is renamed, or allow us to see the existing loadout before we commit to adding or ignoring it.

or save the payload, which adds it to unitPayloads.lua with no way to delete it (even if I remove the entry from the ME, it still populates the lua).

The custom unitPayloads.lua is found in \Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Saved Games\DCS\MissionEditor\

You can edit it directly from there or delete the whole thing, which forces the game to recreate it from the base unitPayloads.lua in the game directory. You can find information here on how to edit the file.

I do agree that it would be nice to see a preview of a custom loadout before saving it, though.

Personally, I'd like to see an option similar to the F10 view options but for F2/F7 views. I want F10 use fog of war, but I want the F2/F7 views to only ever show friendly units. As it stands, the F10 view directly affects what F2/F7 can see; with fog of war, you can use F2/F7 on enemy units that have been spotted.

By default, F2/F7 should be limited by the F10 view options, but it shouldn't be locked to that.

Edited by Xeno426

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to be able to have AI aircraft visible with a delayed start time. Yes, I know this is possible with triggers...but with an extremely busy mission that is several hours long this becomes very demanding on resources. Not to mention time-consuming to set up. You can do this with ground vehicles with a checkbox but not aircraft. Unless I'm missing something??

A great feature, which reflects much our virtual activities would be the ability to manage the predator drones as if we were the military is actually use it in the remote console to maneuver to give the information or JTAC to reach and destroy targets without being detected by radar ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0dHKWjXn-E&feature=player_detailpage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b1p7Cy40Mg&feature=player_detailpage

[sIGPIC]index.php?action=dlattach;topic=17112.0;attach=7646;image[/sIGPIC]

www.36stormovirtuale.net

I scanned through this thread and I think these trigger suggestions haven't been covered yet....

- PART OF GROUND COALITION IN ZONE (and OUT OF ZONE)

- PART OF AIR COALITION IN ZONE (and OUT OF ZONE)

We have PART OF COALITION IN ZONE (and OUT OF ZONE), but it can be a pain if an aircraft of that coalition flies through the zone and triggers something. It would be nice if the trigger would only fire if a ground unit from a particular coalition entered the zone.

- NUMBER OF GROUND COALITION IN ZONE

This might be helpful for determining if objectives were met. For example, if we put 50 static ground units (or moving units within a zone area), we could have a trigger when the number got to 0 so we'd know all units were destroyed. Otherwise, we have to check each group to see if it's dead, set a flag, etc, etc,. This would save time

Thanks.

I have a feeling that much of what has been requested in this thread can already be implemented via scripting engine. I realize its not a GUI, and its my sincere hope that some of the scripting stuff does get added to the GUI, but features will likely be available through scripting first...

Unit.getByName('unitname'):inAir()

If true, its airborne, if false its on the ground. :)

Relent: See Mist link in my signature and the mist.makeUnitTable function. It allows you to specify generalized categories of objects in a zone so you can make stuff similar to "all Georgian helicopters out of zone" or whatever you need.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Yes, I already feared that I will have to familiarize myself with the scripting :D

Just thought because there already has to be some sort of trigger for this, it should be easy to implement that in the editor, which is much easier to use than the scripts ;)

It might be possible to modify the mission editor files, it is open source afterall, to create triggers that are basically lua script based. However it is probably easier/more effective to be helpful and try to dispel any fear of learning how to use very basic scripting commands. As I've said in another thread, the "expression" feature that is being added with the 1.2.3 patch is basically a "make your own trigger condition" box. I am hopeful that DCS users will be open and sharing with the scripts they create so that others can use it.

Edited by Grimes

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I would like to see scramble or intercept option on advanced waypoints. Basically the airplanes would scramble to a target when the enemy is in either defined radius around an airfield or a selected troop. Or they would scramble and attack the enemy when they get detected on an ewr/radar.

I have a feeling that much of what has been requested in this thread can already be implemented via scripting engine. I realize its not a GUI, and its my sincere hope that some of the scripting stuff does get added to the GUI, but features will likely be available through scripting first...

True, but scripting is a top-level system and so is a greater resource tax on the computer system than one that is incorporated into the code of the engine. Personally, I have trouble finding the code required for the operations I want to do.

A triggered action would be nice for JTAC units (or units at all) to fire the laser on a target.

Background: Would be nice to make more individual JTAC missions, where you can handle the radio calls by yourself and just let the JTAC fire his laser.

Looked through the MIST function reference, seems to be not implemented there either