Apache Longbow wip

Joao

Just to let you all know that am still working on the Longbow mod, haven’t` work a lot on it since the last update due to the reasons of always (work, lack of time, work, life etc) but it’s still coming along.

I have remade the bulge section (excuse the “technical words”) from the tail boom in the section where the tail rotor assembly is located, this is a version a much more rounded and smoothed than the old one.

I.jpg

II.jpg

III.jpg

I have been considering to use the existing 10k "C-H sim" Apache model and assign it as a LOD model, I already have finished off two LODs, there’s only one that needs more work.

Excuses for the quick and simple update, now let’s work on that T/R detailing.

Very nice indeed! However I assume the current EE:CH Apache model is still copyright protected, so using it as an LOD model could be a bad idea should this model make it into Lock On...? Then again, the current Lock On Apache model could also be used as the next LOD model... it's quite a bit simpler :)

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

Thanks guys.

"Looking as good as ever Do you have any plans to convert it into an AH-64A once you are finished? That model could obviously also use some improvement.""

Yes maybe, after all it won`t be a lot of work to convert it to the A version, so yes, if God allows me there is hope for an AH-64A :)

"Very nice indeed! However I assume the current EE:CH Apache model is still copyright protected, so using it as an LOD model could be a bad idea should this model make it into Lock On...? Then again, the current Lock On Apache model could also be used as the next LOD model... it's quite a bit simpler""

Sorry I didn`t explain it better. I meant, my current Longbow model that I have been modelling for a sim called Combat Helo (C-H) that has around of 10.000 poly, I could use this as a medium-high LOD, as the highest LOD level will be around 20 or 30k.

Guest ruggbutt

Nice work as usual. Joao made an XM8 rifle for a mod we're doing for FarCry and it's a beautiful piece of work. I'm excited about seeing this in 1.2.

Heyya rugg, glad to see you again.

"Where'd the Stingers go?

Excellent job, as usual.""

They are in for repair hehe ;). Out of kiding, I just don`t know if include them them or not, does anyone know if v.1.2 will simulate this weapon?

My poly count as for the moment and refering to the wireframe render, that version has 12.352. This will vary depending on many factors; weapons loadout increase trianlges quite a bit, specially when you show off sixteen Hellfires! And pilots have to be added as well...another 1000 faces in the sum :)

wire2.jpg

I think I will go up to 20k as it will be harder to maintain smooth meshes with this budget. I just want to add as much detail as possible.

Sorry I didn`t explain it better. I meant, my current Longbow model that I have been modelling for a sim called Combat Helo (C-H) that has around of 10.000 poly, I could use this as a medium-high LOD, as the highest LOD level will be around 20 or 30k.

Hehe sorry, my bad - somehow I took "C-H" as an acronym for "Comanche Hokum" instead of "Combat Helo"... ;)

Speaking of which, it's a pity that Flexman's project apparently stalled. He made some nice progress for such an independent project... hope to see your model instead in Lock On some day!

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

My poly count as for the moment and refering to the wireframe render, that version has 12.352. This will vary depending on many factors; weapons loadout increase trianlges quite a bit, specially when you show off sixteen Hellfires! And pilots have to be added as well...another 1000 faces in the sum

Actually, the 16 Hellfires don't count towards the poly count. The pilot does though. And you don't have to limit the Apache to 15-20 000 polys. You can double number that no problem, so long as you have modelled the necessary LODs for it too.

sigzk5.jpg

Hehe sorry, my bad - somehow I took "C-H" as an acronym for "Comanche Hokum" instead of "Combat Helo"... ;)

Speaking of which, it's a pity that Flexman's project apparently stalled. He made some nice progress for such an independent project... hope to see your model instead in Lock On some day!

No prob man, I didn`t too remember "C-H" as the acronym that`s as well assigned Comanche Hokum.

Flexman`s has been very busy with the real world commitments and had droped development (at least for now) with Combat Helo. It`s a matter of time, he could come one of these days and finish off what he has started with that great sim. :)

""Actually, the 16 Hellfires don't count towards the poly count. The pilot does though. And you don't have to limit the Apache to 15-20 000 polys. You can double number that no problem, so long as you have modelled the necessary LODs for it too.""

I think that with 30-50.000 polys would be ok then.

BTW, does anyone has detailed drawings on the T/R

assembly? The follow pic shows a lot of details from T/R, if you know of some others pics with similar angles as this one would be much appreciated.

ah-64d_longbow13.jpg

Fantastic Work JOAO

.....Caretaker i have tried bring Chizh atention to this Forum but him apear to be very busy with FC rigth now....

We have a very good work from 3D modelers but until now none of this projects ( airplanes and choppers ) have being submited to ED aproval.....

and to be clear we really dont know how to submit any of this models to ED yet...

i just send a pvt message to Chizh lets wait what he can do...

if you have any other ways to contact someone from DEV team it will be apreciated

tks

Rodrigo Monteiro

sorry for the poor english

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

AMD 3.8 X2 64 2G DDR ATI X1800XT 512

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

Thank you

I have been cutting down unnecessary polygons on the engines models. The poly count on the motors has been dropped from the 1810 as it was before to 1148 triangles as it stands now, still however needs some more optimization:

67fcf452.jpg

d6dfbdaa.jpg

The Apache also got new glasses, with more curved surfaces than the ones it had. The old low poly TADS unit has also been changed by another more smoothed version:

cb57ea48.jpg

405bd841.jpg

The M/R air intake (excuses if this is not the real ID) on top of the air-frame is under improvement as well:

2147796d.jpg

This is all for now, keep in channel for more...

Hey Joao, can you do us a favour and model the AGM-114L Longbow Hellfire as well? Seems like the AGM-114C/K is already getting a makeover in another 3rd party mod of the Predator UAV.

Господа, я тут решил повесить "финальную" версию, пока разработчики ведут приемку модели. Все уже затекстурено, и если не будет никаких особых замечаний - то Predator будет вот такой.

view_textured_final.jpg

sigzk5.jpg

I dont know if this is important or no...but i was looking to the rules to do weapons models on this LINK and found an interesting point about standart materials ( the only ones suported to LOMAC )

Here is the note:

Working with materials in 3DS Max:

Only Standard materials can be used in Lock On; all Multi/Sub objects have no function in Lock-On. Here are some suggestions when using Specular Level and Glossiness. Values of 30 and 40 will be painted like metal. An Ambient value of 150 it will look like colorless metal. Note that these values are different for various materials.

There is a four main groups of materials, each with different values of Specular Level and Glossiness:

100 and 100 - glass

30 and 40 - colorless metal

50 and 40 - steel

20 and 20 - rubber

Materials should be uniquely named with the name of the model within the material name. Because all materials in Lock On are stored in one place, each material name must be unique or such material with non-unique name might be mistakenly applied by a LO engine to a wrong model.

After applying a texture to a model, you may notice that some parts look unnatural. This may happen when using very flat or very glossy parts. In such a situation, it's best to detach these parts from the main model and create cloned textures with different Specular Level and Glossiness levels. For example: 5 and 10 for a missile nozzle.

In regards to the semi-gloss seeker of an IR or TV missile, it's best to detach it as a separate object and use a TGA texture with an alpha-channel

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

AMD 3.8 X2 64 2G DDR ATI X1800XT 512

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

""Hey Joao, can you do us a favour and model the AGM-114L Longbow Hellfire as well? Seems like the AGM-114C/K is already getting a makeover in another 3rd party mod of the Predator UAV."""

Yes sure, it will take some time but I`ll do it, if you have some references or pics to share I would apreciate it. :)

Btw, the Predator model looks beautiful! Will it be flyable or is for AI?