Zoom to IT23

StrongHarm

Hello,

I've searched previous posts and found no solution to zooming to the IT23. I use a TrackIR5, but my neck hurts from leaning into the TV. I was able to successfully setup a cam+shkval+abris dual monitor, but it 'took me out' of the game so to speak. I didn't feel as immersed. What I'd like to do is hit a key and view only the IT23 display. I played with the assigned view keys (so much that I accidentally locked view and bypassed TrackIR with Lalt+num0 onto the floorboards and crashed hahah) but to no avail. I know the ctrl+num5 will view the console, but half of the TV is cut off in that view. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

StrongHarm

One possibility would be to use the view zoom - believe the mouse roller is the default - together with the TrackIR. That should remove the need for leaning forward. LAlt-C should allow you to find the mode.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

One possibility would be to use the view zoom - believe the mouse roller is the default - together with the TrackIR. That should remove the need for leaning forward. LAlt-C should allow you to find the mode.

Agreed. That should do it, I have the zoom function mapped to one of my stick's rotaries and it works like a charm.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

You could always hold Num0+Num2, it zooms to a snapview that shows you Shkval and ABRIS. Very handy imo.

Num0+NumX is a couple of different snap views. But I think the only real useful ones are Num0+Num1, Num0+Num2, Num0+Num3.

They where real useful before I made my FreeTrack-rig but I really don't find a use for it nowadays with head tracking and all...

Edited by Boulund

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

Thanks! I'll try LAltC and mouse zoom. I've used the / * kpdEnter combos to lock zoom with success, but I was looking for a key combo that would provide instant full zoom to IT23. I was using the num0+num2, but somehow I skewed that view down so half the screens gone. I can't seem to return it to default.

On one hand it's not realistic to zoom full to IT23, but on the other hand I believe focus would provide the same tunnel vision IRL. Then again I guess the biggest sin of a combat pilot is focus lock on any one aspect, as it decreases situational awareness.

Try editing your snapviews.lua and/or view.lua file located in the ../Ka-50/Config/Views directory. You can accomplish what you're trying to do by editing the values. Take the necessary precautions by backing up those two files and only edit using Notepad++.

The easiest way I've found to accomplish this is by using the Right Control-kpd0(ins), as Boulund suggested, to lock snap views and then using the keypad button of choice. If you have a programmable HOTAS, the view switch can be made instantaneous by combining the keypress combinations. I use (control-kpd0 / kpd2) to snap a full screen view of the IT-23. That's where editing the snapviews.lua file comes in. You can specify what the keypad buttons actually snap to.

*Important to note that these files carry over from Lock On and control views of pits that are not actually flyable in Blackshark at the moment. Snap[1][2] = combination controls keypad button 1 of the Su-27 (second number value is off by 1). You want to manipulate Snap[9][1-13] for the Blackshark. The plane index section in the view.lua show which values control which aircraft.*

The other way is to save the zoom view of choice by using the alt-kpd0(ins) method. This is a little trickier and may require some trial and error to get it the way you want, but what you end up with is the exact view. This method saves your view to the SnapViews.lua file mentioned above. Make sure that line 26 (DisableSnapViewsSaving) and line 27 (UseDefaultSnapViews) are set to false in the View.lua file to insure that your view is saved and written to the SnapViews.lua file.

To get it to work:

(1) set your view

(2) hit alt-kpd0

(3) hit the keypad number you want to save the snapview to.

A quick search revealed this thread for more help - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=35163&highlight=snapviews

You can try using my custom Snapviews values if you'd like.

Good luck.

Snapviews.lua.txt

Edited by S77th-ReOrdain
  • Like 1

Panic

I seriously don't think I've ever felt this clueless in my life... I'm SO very lost.

I've somehow made my default centered view (view you see after centering TrackIR) the lower right console instead of the HUD. I've swapped the CTRL+Num8 with the CTRL+Num5 view. I've slewed my view of the CTRL+Num7 view from looking out the window to looking partially out the window and partially at the instruments. I've done ALL of this accidentally by experimenting with Ralt+Num0 to save keypad lock views and I can't even reproduce my mistakes. My unsuccessful method has been this:

• Pause TrackIR
  • Slew view to desired console section with zoom, etc.
  • Hit Ralt+Num0
  • Hit the key (only, no modifier) on the keypad that I want to assign to the view

I have read several posts on the subject, and people repeatedly end the post with 'oh ok.. I have it now' with no solution, or they are vague about the specific procedure. Could someone who has tested and verified they know the procedure for 'Ralt+Num0 keypad views saving' or someone from ED please clarify? **I make no references to you ReOrdain, you've been very helpful, though you ARE the one who led me down this Ralt+Num0 road to view.hell :cry:.

What I'm trying to accomplish is this:

• Use the keypad view keys or the Lalt+c(mouse) to find a desirable view, then save it using Ralt+Num0
  • The saved views should be available via the keypad (Rctrl+0 then Num(X) key)
  • Know the emergency procedures to return my centered view to the CenteredHUD if I ever accidentally hit Ralt+Num0 again

Your time and any assistance is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

StrongHarm

Is this helpful? Post #3 in this thread;

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=782052

Yes! Thanks Panzertard! That provides bullet 3 - emergency procedures for default view restore! I didn't know about "Re-center head shift with RShift & RCrtl + Num5". I've decided to replace my snapviews.lua with defaultsnapviews.lua to undo my tardout with views.

I would still like to understand how to save the snapviews without having to alter the numeric values in the snapviews.lua if anyone has confirmed good intel.

Wow, sorry about your troubles. I'll nail down the exact procedure and report back. I know the frustration with this (been there), which is why I warned of the tricky nature. Rest assured, it works and you'll get the help you need until its all sorted.

Thanks S77th-ReOrdain. The frustration is mostly over as I replaced my snapviews.lua with the defaultsnapviews.lua (these devs are great!). I'm back to square one, but I'm still clueless as to the proper key sequence to take a desired view and set it to Num3 for instance. I tried your file, and it did a lot of what I want, thanks again for that, but the mystery of the elusive key sequence still has me in suspense.

OK. Finally have it sorted.

With TrackIR running and starting in cockpit (doesn't matter whether you're paused or not):

1. Hit Ctrl-KP0(Ins) to activate cockpit snapviews.

2. Hit the KP# of choice to be programmed (this obviously will not be your final view, but will serve as your reference to confirm success).

3. Hit Ctrl-KP0(Ins) to get out of snapviews - I have a suspicion that this also preps the button by resetting/clearing any previous view setting. Seems redundant, but skipping these first 3 steps produced unwanted results similar to your previous description.

4. Hit the KP# you want to program (again).

5. Set your 6DOF view preference, including your zoom level, height and vertical position in cockpit. (Very important not to attempt to freeze your view by hitting any other KP# at this point. However, you can use default keys KP/ and * to zoom in and out).

6. Hit Alt-KP0(Ins) to initiate program.

7. Immediately, while also trying to hold your head still, hit the same KP# you hit in step 4 to confirm program and finalize.

8. Test for success by hitting Ctrl-KP0(Ins)/KP#.

To prevent un(re)programming what you just did (if successful), make sure you follow all the steps again. I kept overwriting my previous button programs when failing to follow steps (1-3).

If for whatever reason your default cockpit view gets thrown off again, you can correct it by programming KP0 with the above procedure, or with the re-center head shift trick (didn't know about that one).

Please let us know if this gets you where you want to go.

Edited by S77th-ReOrdain
  • Like 2

This procedure works! I can't imagine how you reproduced that. Well done S77th-ReOrdain! I know this is a tight community, but your taking the time to produce this sequence is exceptionally kind. I thank you. I was able to set num0 to full zoom to IT23, num2 to IT23+Abris, num3 to Abris+PVI. Perfect!

I found the method to restore the default view.

*slew the desired view and zoom

*hit Ralt+0

*hit F1

Thanks again,

StrongHarm