LWR question

wolf_288

I never saw a laser warning receiver which can give you the exact range to the threat. This info is only available for the sender of the laser beam using the time the beam need to reach the target (you) and the way back.

If the heading would be a little bit more exact, that would be nice ;)

DCS Rafale - please :thumbup:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

how does it work today????

In the case of the Ka-50, it works as in the simulator, today.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

There are six or so little sensors on the Ka-50. The most visible of which is on the very back, it is a small square plate. When these little plates detect laser energy, such as the type that is used to get a range or to guide a missile, it sends a signal to the LWR that says "holy shit, laser energy detected." The LWR takes that signal and, if it came from the rearward sensor, it will light up the bottom light, indicating that it came from behind you.

There isn't anything that it can do but sense. It knows if there is laser energy or not. It probably also can judge the strength of the laser energy too. The sensor can't tell where the energy is coming from, it just knows if there is contact with the laser or not. In theory, a helicopter could be just barely behind you and off two miles away on your right, lase you, and if the laser only hits the rearward sensor, the LWR will think the source is just behind you because there isn't contact with the right-side sensor.

A super-sophisticated sensor might be able to detect the precise wavelength of the laser, and then compare that to a database of known laser wavelengths and judge what kind of vehicle is lasing it, but that is not a capability of the Ka-50. I can imagine that if a new helicopter was designed today with an infinite budget, it would have that kind of sensor.