Engines Die During Ossetia Pirates Mission

JHzlwd

Apologies in advance for asking what is liable to prove a very elementary question. In the Ossetia Pirates canned mission I arrive at the waypoint in vicinity of the area to search for the pirate encampment. It's a long trek out there. Within a few minutes the Ka50's engines slowly die and cannot be restarted. It reminds me of running out of fuel but the fuel gauge looks OK. I thought maybe it is necessary to switch fuel tanks but the fuel pump switches all look flipped already or ... must something else be done to route fuel from other tanks?

If fuel routing is the problem and someone simply answers "Yes" I will try to find the full answer myself although have so far not found anything.

Best wishes,

JH

I7-2600K@4322 MHz / Asus P8Z77 Deluxe

EVGA GeForce1080 SC Video

Samsung EVO 850 SSD / Dell U2711 monitor@2560X1440

Saitek X55 "Rhino" / Logitech G510

Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Thanks for replying. Yes, I have de-ice on. I got caught on this earlier when first trying the mission. Climbing that pass you learn the hard way. In the meantime I continue going through the manual for clues.

This is my favorite of the canned missions because of the long and at times challenging flying.

jh

Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Komrades,

Thanks to your perceptive responses but "Speed 2" and "Griffin" especially, this problem has been solved. As usual with such things, an element of personal stupidity was involved.

The engine ice/dust switch is 3-position with center off, which I had assumed was full-up. Incredible. When I finally flipped it up to the proper -de-ice position the problem disappeared.

My only problem now is how to avoid getting shot down by the pirates when arriving at their hide-out but that's something I won't be needing help with.

For an interesting variation to this mission, try flying directly to WP 5. This involves a very "interesting" climb through the mountains which pushes the Ka50 quite hard. The first time I tried it there was a gearbox failure near the top but it is quite do-able if you are careful.

Thanks again for the good advice.

Best wishes,

JH

Win 10 Pro 64 bit