Stuttercity

Couldn't really play Lock-On until i exchanged my GF3 TI 200 for a GFX5900XT. Now, with 1.1 installed, the stutters are back. I can get sometimes framerates to almost 100 FPS but then suddenly, without warning, the game hics. Mostly because there is some pop-up around me. But these pop-ups are just plain ordenairy stuff like a label showing up suddenly. I also noticed some hugh drop in FPS when something explodes, even if that object is 10nm (or more) away and the explosion is just plainly vissible, no more then a few pixels (even noticed it with only 1 or 2 pixels explosions). Unbelieveable.

Is there really no way around this, it just spoils all the fun? Even with lower then medium settings, the hicups are there. I was hoping to see this adressed with 1.1 but nope... all effort went into eye-candy as far as i can see.

Also, i found the game not running smooth anymore after i started it a few times without doing a fresh reboot... It gets worse after each new load. Memory leak maybe?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• ED Team

Try turning off Heat Blur if you are using any level of AA.

-Matt

Couldn't really play Lock-On until i exchanged my GF3 TI 200 for a GFX5900XT. Now, with 1.1 installed, the stutters are back. I can get sometimes framerates to almost 100 FPS but then suddenly, without warning, the game hics. Mostly because there is some pop-up around me. But these pop-ups are just plain ordenairy stuff like a label showing up suddenly. I also noticed some hugh drop in FPS when something explodes, even if that object is 10nm (or more) away and the explosion is just plainly vissible, no more then a few pixels (even noticed it with only 1 or 2 pixels explosions). Unbelieveable.

Is there really no way around this, it just spoils all the fun? Even with lower then medium settings, the hicups are there. I was hoping to see this adressed with 1.1 but nope... all effort went into eye-candy as far as i can see.

Also, i found the game not running smooth anymore after i started it a few times without doing a fresh reboot... It gets worse after each new load. Memory leak maybe?

sorry dude, but there's no way around it: you have a crappy video card. next time read some reviews before making your purchasing decision (they were pretty much unanimous about not buying the geforce 5XXX series). it's a testament to ED's programming skill that the game is even playable.

sorry dude, but there's no way around it: you have a crappy video card. next time read some reviews before making your purchasing decision (they were pretty much unanimous about not buying the geforce 5XXX series). it's a testament to ED's programming skill that the game is even playable.

Yeasty, you have absolutely no basis for that argument. For starters, the 5xxx series NVidia cards were notoriously poor DirectX 9 performers. However, they excelled in DirectX 8. Now, let's think for a moment...what does Lock On use?

However, they excelled in DirectX 8. Now, let's think for a moment...what does Lock On use?
IIRC, their DX8 performance wasn't exaclty spectaculary good either. Geforce FX was an unsuccessful series of video cards for Nvidia (performance-wise).

Benchmarks with ATI cards that were released back then showed this clearly.

I have a 5900XT and its perfectly fine. Saying that they are bad at DX9 is absolute rubbish. I have absolutley no (zero) problems with Lock on 1.1 at medium to high settings. I am running Athlon Barton 3200 with 1gig of RAM.

The 5900XT got excellent reviews. I originally wanted an ATI 9800pro 128mb but they sold out very quickly.

Lange, ignore these guys comments.

Its just a question of set up I assure you.

I have a 5900XT and its perfectly fine. Saying that they are bad at DX9 is absolute rubbish. I have absolutley no (zero) problems with Lock on 1.1 at medium to high settings. I am running Athlon Barton 3200 with 1gig of RAM.

The 5900XT got excellent reviews. I originally wanted an ATI 9800pro 128mb but they sold out very quickly.

Lange, ignore these guys comments.

Its just a question of set up I assure you.

DX9 isn't an issue with this game (it's DX8.1 based). Other than that, I completely agree with you as stated in my previous post. There's nothing wrong with the FX5900, period. (just clarifying because it seemed like you tossed me into the negative group)

Guys, i know my hardware, believe me.

Besides, i run an AMD 3000+ with 1GB of RAM. Heatblur etc... all turned off already. Preload change doesn't seem to do much either, i changed it already in the graphics config file to be more then 100 kliks. The drive is not scattered (no need to defrag here), i just freshly installed WinXP recently and my games all sit on a seperate HD part. So that isn't it. AA and all that other eyecandy bullshit is turned off also.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Could a system process taking up CPU cycles every so often? Might be a good idea to check your system services and disable any that arent needed. Im sure theres a program that could monitor CPU usage and log its activity. That way when you come out of lomac you could take a look at what processes you could disable.

No, this isn't some standard process, it's all LOMAC. I have the same problem as well, and the process list is relatively clean. Something's causing LOMAC to stutter in a very specific manner. Some people have reported that it may be the season pack, or terrain preload happening on some fixed place in the Crimea instead of around the players' plane.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

System is as clean as can be, nothing running in the background that's not needed. It's really only LockOn that gives this stutter. All my other flightsims are smooth.

I used Thomas idea on the DirectX sound accelleration + the mscvrt.dll but haven't tested it yet. Will be something for tonight...

GGTharos: Yup, we're not alone in this, others have it as well. As far as i can see it's not really hardware related because all people who have reported it have all various hardware installed.

Don't think so because i run the game at 1024x768x32 and my desktop at 1154x864x32.

But i'm interrested in this. Is this rowing boat effect viewable during a flyby close to the camera? Because if i put the game in 1154x864 i'm getting a sort of rowing boat effect during flyby's.

Try clearing your Temporary internet files.

Microsoft refreshes the Cache on this during gameplay and if they have grown large the timeslice is very noticable in LOMAC.

Just a thought ;)

:cool:

When all else fails, Eject then read the manual.

Oh, and a good wingman helps.

Don't think so because i run the game at 1024x768x32 and my desktop at 1154x864x32.

But i'm interrested in this. Is this rowing boat effect viewable during a flyby close to the camera? Because if i put the game in 1154x864 i'm getting a sort of rowing boat effect during flyby's.

I don't know if it was the resolution or the color depth or both but ( with a desktop color depth of 32 ) when I changed my in-game color depth to 16 , the rowboat effect never happened.

Avaritia bona est.