Jocman's Cockpit (will be a long, long work....)

Jocman

Ok, my eyes are getting better, at least i can see from the very near (from the distance I can see only foggy) so I can write.

My friend (and workmate) Alex just today provided me an old CH F16 flightstick (game port version): really a treasure to me IOT vivisect to get 2 coolie hat to use with my cyclic and collective stick, then some excellent starting material for the moulding (epoxy resin) of other coolie hat and, why not, some F16 grips for various test (now I can save my Cougar stick to be vivisected.....).

Well, building a 4 way switch isn't so complicated, but get the coolie hat is hard, so I think to try to make them with the resin.

But still waiting for the new ACDC adapter, so to start design the wood support structure for my panels and to print out the plans for the panels (I think it should be time to start building the panels)

Day by day, I'm always more that my mad project can LIVE!!!!

Jocman

Jocman

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return" (L. Da Vinci)

Prev. Projects:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=50071

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

Friday I got the new adapter, so yesterday I printed out by plotter all my plans, then set the hardware (saws and various) I need to start working on panels.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll start the first cut: May the force be with me.....

Jocman

Jocman

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return" (L. Da Vinci)

Prev. Projects:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, as I wrote in the previous post:"hopefully tomorrow I'll start cutting"....

I didn't.....SHXXT, everytime, sometime happens...In the meanwhile, I spent some evenings by soldering the displays and some rotary encoder

Btw, this afternoon I really started with cutting the panels, and I made my first 3 panel. Well, not the full panel, just the shapes, but at least I started....

Honestly, cutting the plexiglas is easier than I was afraid of, so I think I could speed up the making and recover the lost time.

The next days I'll make some pictures about the works.

When all the shapes will be made, I'll start with the drilling, then all the rest.

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

Did a quick check on one of the pits models to show you the size it has.

As you can see, it's easy to get an idea of what it would look like and then correct things when working with cad.

Simpitv2size.jpg

Just found this thread. Model looking really nice, though i'd like to make a point. These are the general ergonomics rules for the desktop layout.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/hcg/default.html

Take a look at no.6: "To minimize neck bending and twisting, try the following: * Position the top of the screen near eye level (see detail 6)."

I'd like to suggest you to try using your monitor in that eye-centered position on your scheme before you actually make your cockpit. There's a chance you'll find that position quite uncomfortable. Forcing you to look up when aiming, bending neck etc. Maybe you'd like to put the screen a bit lower and chop the upper part of the front panel.

Edited by Maximus_G

Please note that these recommendations are for "working at a desktop", not flying/driving a sim.

"To minimize neck bending and twisting, try the following: * Position the top of the screen near eye level (see detail 6)."

As most of us use trackir, we are constantly moving our position of the neck anyhow. So it does not apply really.

However don't take the position in the pic as a best one.

I'm 1.90 and the dummy is not more than 1.75.

I did this pic to get a notion of what size I would have to build to fit the room.

The touch screen and a FMS is what dictated my height possibilities.

In the end I scrapped it and built this instead.

P1030191.jpg

Edited by CoNa

Well, damn pics-addicted :), here come 2 pictures of my work:

dsc01529n.jpg

dsc01531c.jpg

Let try to guess what they are referred to???

Btw, please don't blame me if I wont post so oft about my making of.

I have very short time to work on my cockpit, 'cause I must (or I want to) finish it before august; in that month allegedly I'll leave for job abroad, so I wont have time to work on it.

My wish is to finish it (taking pictures) then, during the abroad employment, update my website with all the info abpout the cockpit.

BTW, I'll keep postng short news about the work in progress.

About CoNa and Maximus G suggestion, unfortunately, as I planned all the cockpit only on scale draws, I'm afraid the front panel is almost bigger than usual; well, little pbit bigge, but enough to represent an obstacle. And unfortunately, I can't (I wont) change the plans, it means redraw ALL....

I'll find some good compromise....

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

ok, i understand - ill leave you alone abou the pictures :P

Thank you for the ones you did post. :)

Good luck with the pit.

But as I love my pics-addicted, here you find another pic:

cuttingr.jpg

That's how I'm working (from left to right)

put the plan on a table, then put the plexiglas on it. Draw the main shape, then the details. Protect all the lines with paper-tape, then cut: voilà, your panel..... (this is the left side of the front panel)

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

Well, short update.

Today I finished to cut ALL the panels's shapes (panels, and panels's box components): about 94 pieces (but I think more, this is just a quick estimate).

Now I have to work on the details (i.e. cut out the inner shapes for buttons, switches, etc).

And I dealed with the typographer for the panels decals.....

Stay tuned.......

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

Ok, here comes a goodie for all my beloved pics-addicteds ;)

dsc01549k.jpg

Someone could be a little bit baffled looking at the EKRAN's hausing, but I designed an alternative solution for it (hoping it will work), maybe not so reality friendly, but I think it will be practical

In the forthcoming days (allegedly at weekend) I'll cut out the panels details, then I'll start with the assembly of the various modules (may the force be with me once again......)

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

That is brilliant - love it. So much care and attention. WELL DONE !! keep it up.

Well, thank you for the appreciation; but, honestly, if you check the pic, you'll note that the outlines are not so....precise. Btw, just to have an example of my tools just have a look to.....your hands. I can't get a CNC automatic machine :cry:, too expensive.....

But the works are going on, and my dream is evry day one step forward.

By now, I stopped cutting, as my jigsaw is dead....I'm waiting for some components to build a new speed controller (external), as the build in is fried....

Jocman

Edited by Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

I know what tools your using - the same as mine, thats why you get so much praise from me. Using a CNC is not pit building - its manufacturing a single item. The skill is in the design not the outcome. We build using our hands, drilling and sanding and shaping as we go.

Like me i bet you look at your straight lines and think "Good god!, i did that!"

I appreciate your work because you have gone to a lot of trouble to get it right. I tend to have a "Oh it will do" attitude and i always end up going back to do it right the second time. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No - Its a Stinger - Damn.......

My Pit - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42253

Well, guys, what's life without "good" news?

yesterday night my laptop is definitively DEAD, and with him the BS plans inside the HD. Rotten luck never ends.......

Today I'll buy a new laptop, then when I'll get it, I'll try to recover the data from the old HDD (it's a EIDE drive....).

Then people say you don't have to swear....

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

Well, guys, what's life without "good" news?

yesterday night my laptop is definitively DEAD, and with him the BS plans inside the HD. Rotten luck never ends.......

Today I'll buy a new laptop, then when I'll get it, I'll try to recover the data from the old HDD (it's a EIDE drive....).

Then people say you don't have to swear....

Jocman

OUCH!:cry: Hope you get your plans back!

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

I'm sorry to hear that :(

I don't know about your knowledge of computers so excuse me for my ignorance. For data recovery you could try on of these. It's cheap and you could find usage for it afterward. Put your HDD from old laptop in it and recover data.

BTW I like your work :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm sorry to hear that :(

I don't know about your knowledge of computers so excuse me for my ignorance. For data recovery you could try on of these. It's cheap and you could find usage for it afterward. Put your HDD from old laptop in it and recover data.

BTW I like your work :thumbup:

Hey, why you apologize yourself? You are just trying to help me :thumbup:.

Btw, your was an excellent suggestion: a friend of my just few hours ago provided me a device like your. I didn't have jet the time to test it, I think I'll do it on friday (due my job - too much work tonight and tomorrow).

Anyway, I bought the new laptop (HP DV7 3170EL), and now I'm waiting to get it at home.

I'll keep informed about the news.

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

Update:

I ordered the new laptop yesterday at 13.00, and TODAY at 12.00 I got it at home....

I can't believe it, less than 24 hours...almost incredible here in Italy...

Btw, now I've to make all the usual craps when you buy a new one (ar at least I use to do it so): inizialize it, backup of the original OS, partitioning the HHD....holy craps, it's so boring.....

Then I disassembled the old HDD, mounted in the external dock, and it works, so I can recover all the plans and the other datas....

I'm going ahead with the electronic works: modify the push-switches... Well, isn't a game... so frustating...modify just one took about 1 hour...too much, but maybe it's just 'cause is the first, or I hope so...I've to modify about 50 of them....

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

Good to hear all went fine :)

Why did you have to modify switches?

Well, did you see (in my previous post) the pics with the green square switches?

Ok, as I want to backlight the green square, and keep the red led built in, I had to find the way to put a white led.

Believe me, it's a mess. I think I found the way, even if is a very FIA.... and I0ve to modify about 60 of them....no, wait, 34 (with both led)

I'll describe all in the next future, on my website...

Now I'm goig to inizialize the new laptop, but this is also a FIA: the OS is win 7 64.....and I'm starting having trouble with the 32bit software....

I hope I can make a backup of the original system, then I'll evaluate to format everything and install the 32bit version....

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

Now I'm goig to inizialize the new laptop, but this is also a FIA: the OS is win 7 64.....and I'm starting having trouble with the 32bit software....

I hope I can make a backup of the original system, then I'll evaluate to format everything and install the 32bit version....

Jocman

Jocman, which specific version of Win 7 64 bit do you have? I'm guessing it was Win 7 Home Premium that came installed on your laptop. If you were lucky, you'd have Win 7 Professional or higher. (Or you could consider doing the upgrade). The reason I mention it is that with Win 7 Professional, or higher, there is a "Windows XP Mode" available (It requires a download that Win 7 Professional and higher users are entitled to). I don't know if that is a good solution for you, but you might want to look at it. I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know all the details on it.

Good luck!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1