Jocman's Cockpit (will be a long, long work....)

Jocman

The Baro Alt give me some problem: rotating the virtual encoder everything is fine (of course), but rotating the "real" one, it jump to 60mbar, then switchs only 1 step up and 1 down, no more, no matter how many steps I turn up or down.

Suggestion?

Hi Jocman. I think I overstated the case when I said this one works real well with a pot. I probably should have said it works OK. You're not going to get the granularity you get with the mouse wheel. I think pots work best for things like Abris brightness where you only need like 32 different levels.

You can hook an encoder up to this one but the sim expects to get a value between 0 and 1 so you need to keep a running total and increment or decrement it as each pulse comes in, say by .005. That actually does work real well.

Hope this helps a little bit,

Colin

Edited by PanelBuilder

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jocman. I think I overstated the case when I said this one works real well with a pot. I probably should have said it works OK. You're not going to get the granularity you get with the mouse wheel. I think pots work best for things like Abris brightness where you only need like 32 different levels.

You can hook an encoder up to this one but the sim expects to get a value between 0 and 1 so you need to keep a running total and increment or decrement it as each pulse comes in, say by .005. That actually does work real well.

Hope this helps a little bit,

Colin

Hi Colin.

Well, actually, I'm using an encoder to drive the Baro Alt. I also set the resolution to 0.001 (so less than 0.005). The problem is that now the Baro Alt keep jumping to 60 mbar (but why????:mad:), then I can adjust the value only for 1 unit (from 60 to 61 mbar), but with increments of 0.001. When the flag goes on 61, it stops....I can only decrease to 60.....

Alle the other encoders work fine, but this freackin' one........

Jocman

Jocman

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return" (L. Da Vinci)

Prev. Projects:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=50071

Hi Colin.

Well, actually, I'm using an encoder to drive the Baro Alt. I also set the resolution to 0.001 (so less than 0.005). The problem is that now the Baro Alt keep jumping to 60 mbar (but why????:mad:), then I can adjust the value only for 1 unit (from 60 to 61 mbar), but with increments of 0.001. When the flag goes on 61, it stops....I can only decrease to 60.....

Alle the other encoders work fine, but this freackin' one........

OK listen :smilewink:

Encoder-type inputs like the HSI expect a value between -1 and 1 and are cumulative.

Pot-type inputs like the Baro expect a value between 0 and 1 and are not.

Which is why if you use an encoder on this one you need to do an extra step. If the value from your encoder is val, you can't do this:

performClickableAction( id, val )

You have to do something like this:

baro_total = baro_total + val

performClickableAction( id, baro_total )

Give it a shot. I swear this works.

Cheers,

Colin

OK listen :smilewink:

Encoder-type inputs like the HSI expect a value between -1 and 1 and are cumulative.

Pot-type inputs like the Baro expect a value between 0 and 1 and are not.

Which is why if you use an encoder on this one you need to do an extra step. If the value from your encoder is val, you can't do this:

performClickableAction( id, val )

You have to do something like this:

baro_total = baro_total + val

performClickableAction( id, baro_total )

Give it a shot. I swear this works.

Cheers,

Colin

Hi Colin.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I'll try to do it as soon as possible.

Yesterday I packaged all my military equipment and my "free time" stuff, as in 8 days I'll back in Italy. Finally my time in Afghanistan is over. (7 months.....)

BTW, soon I'll back to work on my BS cockpit (I've to finish it, it's since jan 2010 I'm working on it....).

Keep in touch guys.

Jocman

Jocman

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return" (L. Da Vinci)

Prev. Projects:

Hi Colin.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I'll try to do it as soon as possible.

Yesterday I packaged all my military equipment and my "free time" stuff, as in 8 days I'll back in Italy. Finally my time in Afghanistan is over. (7 months.....)

BTW, soon I'll back to work on my BS cockpit (I've to finish it, it's since jan 2010 I'm working on it....).

Keep in touch guys.

Jocman

Take care man.

Colin

Hi Jocman

Sorry for being so quiet lately, some other stuff (good stuff) has taken priority in my life right now.

Anyways, the code we tried earlier should work very well for this.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1061261&postcount=125

You do need to change the name of the function, otherwise it wont work.

/Oakes

Hi Oakes.

It's always fine to hear from you.

No problem, I understand you and sincerely I wish you all the best.

As I told, I packaged everything, so I'll take a pause.

And, as I can't work on OC, I'm back to design some solution for the "hardware", meaning the cockpit structure.

Briefly: build the structure to host all the panels (the panels are ready, but need it to wire all the cables to OC), the material (alu or pvc profilates ???), build the controls (cyclic and collective) with several technical solutions, but overall: WHERE THE HELL PUT MY COCKPIT?????? :megalol:

I hurry to back home and start working again.

Colin, thanks. I survived 7 months and some "several afghan surprises". I really hope nothing will happen also the last 8 days.

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, back home.

I still didn't start working again on my cockpit, as those last 10 days have been very busy because of the work and all the luggages to make up.

Anyway, starting from monday I'll have some holydays (3 weeks) and I'll start working on cards and panels (finally I'll see again my beloved panels).

In the meanwhile, during the last 2 weeks, I started to look for some craziness: a CNC mill machine. I'd like to remake the panels in a more realistic apparel.

Of course, I'll build my cockpit prototype with the panels I built, but among all the missions, my proposal is to make new and better look panels.

In the next days I'll go to see some machine, and is highly possible I'll get it.

Stay tuned

Jocman

• Like 1

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

Just started wiring the switches.

Ok, I started working on the cockpit since really long time, but at least I started again. BTW, I've still some switches to program.....Well, I'll do it, don't know when, but I'll do it. I must do it. In the meanwhile, I'm going on with the CNC project: next week I'll meet some guys in order to get some info about it, then I hope for Easter to get a CNC. Then it will be time make my project become real.

Damn, I think I'm flying to high with my fantasy...

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

• 4 weeks later...

Update.....

Ok, I wired some cables.....then stopped!!! Even because I need more hardware to complete the wiring, and I've to order it.....

Many the reasons: stress on workplace (it was better to survive in afghanistan than work at home), stress on relational life (I think at this point is gone screwed....), and so on.

BTW, my CNC project is going on, as in those last days I'm dealing for the machine and working on adapting the cad files I used to hand make my current panels.

Then, in more or less 20 days I'll leave to USA to attend flight course (try to guess: fixed or rotary wing ?), and then when I'll come back (in 2 months) I hope to be moved to a new (hopefully better) workplace, meaning I'll be busy with the movement, looking for home (bigger, better, etc etc), and so on.

Thus, my "Ka50 dream" has to be put on stby for a while.....

Well, by now that's it, guys, maybe I'll keep you informed about my flight course (if interesting in).

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

Hi mate

Inform us...........:pilotfly:

And good luck....

/Oakes

Thanks, brother.

See you soon (as I'll need surely your help again).

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Here comes an update:

I'M FLYING!!!!!!!!:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

It's almost 14 days I'm in Florida for heli training.

I'm flying R22. The beginning has been very traumatic, it seemed a crazy machine. But now everithing is going better, mostly the hover (wow, guys, it's really a challange hover and manoeuvring while hovering, but when you start manage it, you feel really....I don't know how to describe). BTW, I'm going hon with even more specialized manoeuvres, thing are going hard, but I love this challange. Maybe R22 is not a Ka50, but believe me it deserves the maximum respect.

I'm sorry to say, but heli simulation cannot be compared with real world, aero simulation can.

Why? Well, about 8 years ago I went to a friend whom own a Piper; it was the period I was flying Flight Simulator. Well, with no real experience, I made everithing alone (ok, my friend was ready to rescue in case of error): startup, taxy, take off, flight, landing, shut down.

But believe me, flying an helicopter, a real one, cannot be done just with "simulator experience". And I'm happy being do it.

Short anecdote:

The most of the guys here study for airplane (we're only 4 heli pilots on about 40 students), and they always tell me "fly airplane, not heli!!!". Well, once the instructor, after a training, flying back to the airport, asked me "did you ever seen alligators?" "No, why?" then he took the controls and sayd "Here we go!!!" then fastly went down from 500 to 50 on a small river, following the river turning with 90° of bank (wow it seemed to me like Apocalipse Now, just missing the sound track...), and hovering on the alligators (when we spotted some). Then, back to airport, I told the "airplane guys" about the flight, and they stand silent. "Do it with an airplane!".

Stay tuned.

Jocman

Jocman

Prev. Projects: