A-10c cockpit dimensions

pitbldr

Hi all,

New around here and just getting started on the plans for my pit. It's going to be based on the A-10c model. I don't expect it will be extremely accurate as I want to actually fly it not long after the sim is out! :)

First thing I am looking for is the dimensions of the cockpit - mostly the front instrument panel. I've seen tons of images and photos but I can't find any numbers on the size of the panel. I know if I can get the front panel modeled that I can then determine the rest of the panels/tub based on that and on my own specific requirements.

So, does anyone have any data on this? Looking for the height, width at the bottom, and width at the top. I think this will be all I need to draft this up in a CAD program and then start adding the panel components.

Thanks!

Edited by pitbldr
Renamed thread title

I did find some, but everything I found was for the A model. But now, thinking about it, I imagine the panel shape/size are the same. They are upgrading the hogs right, not producing new ones with different size panels. :doh:

I don't know here you searched, but these would probably be a good start:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=48531

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=48708

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=48697

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Thanks! I did my searching here and those are some of the threads I was referring to. I think I had brainlock or something, because I was fixated on find only C model stuff and did not stop to think that the A model dimensions would be more than adequate for what I am doing.

Since realizing that, I've already been able to get a good bit done in sketchup. I'll probably post back when done to get some feedback on my design.

:)

OK, I have my preliminary draft of the front panel. Keeping in mind that I am not going for total accuracy... thoughts?

I modeled the A model panel from some of the info on strandedduckling's site (Thanks SD!!!) and then modified it to more closely resemble the C model panel. I am sure I'll need to tweak this several times.

The A and C model have a different shape for the main instrument panel. The C model is wider at the top, and I believe the slope of the sides is steeper accordingly. If you compare pictures side by side, you'll notice that the glareshield "eyebrow" areas (where the ext stores jett button and fire exting disch switch are located) are wider on the C model than the A.

I believe this extra room was added at the corners to accomodate the large 5"x5" MFDs, and gives the whole panel a more squarish look overall.

Thanks! That makes sense as I was having trouble getting it all in there and did make the mfd's a little smaller.

I just finished my first draft of a MFD that I think is pretty close to actual size. I'll throw that in there and rework it some.

OK, modified this some and I hope it's getting close to the real panel. Again, I am not going for complete realism... just want to be able to have a pit that somewhat resembles the real thing. I'm afraid I don't have the time, patience, skill, or money for more! :D

Here is a good blog with some picture of the A-10C cockpit that may help you out.

http://prometheus.med.utah.edu/~bwjones/C1311122445/E20070430115307/index.html

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

OK, I have my preliminary draft of the front panel. Keeping in mind that I am not going for total accuracy... thoughts?

I modeled the A model panel from some of the info on strandedduckling's site (Thanks SD!!!) and then modified it to more closely resemble the C model panel. I am sure I'll need to tweak this several times.

You're welcome :thumbup: Nice work you made

Just remeber that I modded my A-10A panel to fit my frame and placement for real instruments cutouts been squized/moved accordingly.

What will diff in my setup versus real thing (among other things) are the following panels, Landing, Fuel, HUD contrl, MasterWarning, TV and indicators topside. Same goes for topside placement of fire dist's cutout. :pilotfly:

edit: BTW, do you plan to use real instruments or homemade replacements ? Wonder cause the small "lips" to fasten the stuff seems missing in the pic above. All gauges has standard NATO fittings/cutout so they are rather easy to add.

Cheers

/Gus

Edited by Duckling

- - - -

@ Sweinhart - Thanks alot! That will definitely help! You using Alibre design??

@ Deadman - if you're asking me, it will be a combination of wood, plexi and aluminum. I have a small CNC that I'll be able to make some of the parts on, just won't be able to go over 12"x16" in size. Should be able to make all the panels and possibly the aluminum backplates.

@ Duckling - thanks for pointing that out. I hope to have a mixture of real and homemade instruments. It will depend on availability and costs for one. Plus, I'll have to wait and see what the sim will allow (and what I am capabable of! :)). I hope to start making some mock-up parts soon from wood or a stiff foam. Once I can physically see how it will all fit, I'm sure I'll redo my models/plans.

I just finished reworking the MFD panels. I took measurments from a picture and used those a the basis for this model. Comments are welcome and appreciated! :D

Edited by pitbldr

So what will you make your main panel out of?

Well I bought 1/4" paneling but Im thinking if 95% of it is cut out its not gonna be strong enough to hold instrumentation. I may have no choice but to have someone cut out sheet metal for me. Im also at loss on some of the instrumentation. There is no way I will be able to simulate all of the instruments and trying to mix simulated instruments with monitors for glass instruments would present huge fit problems. I dunno a good solution to this yet. As long as there are instruments I cant simulate, I will have always have to have the instrument panel up in the main simulator. This means I would be looking at 2 instrument panels while playing and that would be at the least very distracting when Im trying to scope out enemies.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

• 4 months later...
@ Sweinhart - Thanks alot! That will definitely help! You using Alibre design??

@ Deadman - if you're asking me, it will be a combination of wood, plexi and aluminum. I have a small CNC that I'll be able to make some of the parts on, just won't be able to go over 12"x16" in size. Should be able to make all the panels and possibly the aluminum backplates.

@ Duckling - thanks for pointing that out. I hope to have a mixture of real and homemade instruments. It will depend on availability and costs for one. Plus, I'll have to wait and see what the sim will allow (and what I am capabable of! :)). I hope to start making some mock-up parts soon from wood or a stiff foam. Once I can physically see how it will all fit, I'm sure I'll redo my models/plans.

I just finished reworking the MFD panels. I took measurments from a picture and used those a the basis for this model. Comments are welcome and appreciated! :D

Anyone know if that MFD knob is also push button like on the ABRIS? I suspect it is. Also trying to find the actual outer dimensions of the MFD.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart