Combat-Helo

EagleEye

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in touch with Richard Hawley, the Combat Helo developer. It is still active, but as you all know, development takes alot of time. It's in the pipe.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Personally I hope he does not switch to DCS. What I found appealing in Combat-Helo was the idea of an old-school study sim that is also a fun game. Porting it over to DCS will just result in an another helo (though admitted a cool one) in the sterile and boring DCS environment. I want campaign gameplay and the feeling of flying and fighting my aircraft in a war. Combat-Helo could only deliver this in its own engine.

• Like 1

Personally I hope he does not switch to DCS. What I found appealing in Combat-Helo was the idea of an old-school study sim that is also a fun game. Porting it over to DCS will just result in an another helo (though admitted a cool one) in the sterile and boring DCS environment. I want campaign gameplay and the feeling of flying and fighting my aircraft in a war. Combat-Helo could only deliver this in its own engine.

Im with you too. No need to bring it to dcs, until dcs gets some game play things better. No need to full 24/7 dc campaing but something between that and curent booring system. :book:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
Well that sounds good maybe in the near future they will finish combat helo. Pity about DCS although maybe one day they might make an addon.
Quite a while ago Flex stated that besides the technical part Combat Helo and DCS is an unlikely combination. Besides the obvious fact that Flex does not use officially undisclosed material like the -251-10 to name one thing, he also does not work with people who could act as consultants and provide him with inside information. Instead his work is based on public information, Discovery Ch./Nat Geo documentaries, FAS DoD 101 sheets, stuff like that. This would give his -64D an FC3 Light fidelity at best.

The way Combat Helo was once summarised was as an 'applied' sim, not a study sim. Systems, avionics, procedures, etc. might look like reality, but what happens under the hood is heavily gamified. Although this last part did not come from Flex directly.

Perhaps this has changed, but I seriously doubt it. I'll try and see if I can find the original.

EDIT

Ah, if I'd spent a closer look, I'd have seen that EagleEye quoted about everything that has already been mentioned by Flex on this topic.

Edited by JayPee

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

Thanks for the link! To bad really even if I understand his POV...

After all this years I'm still waiting for a AH-64A (or even better D) to emerge in the DCS world. Even if I would prefer a study sim of A or D I would/will support any AH-64 project even if it's "FC3 level fidelity" with working pilot and co-pilot/gunner in MP!

Having fond memories of flying LB2 with Flexman back in the 90's I wish him and Dave good luck on their CH quest and as he say - maybe one day ;)

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Hopefully when that multiseat feature is implemented (by ED), we will see a playable Apache some day. Though if not from ED I only see Belsimtek (BST) capable of doing the AH-64. BST`s upcoming AH-1G Cobra would be awesome with pilot and co-pilot/gunner playable.

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

So Developing a Module to plug into a Sim that already has a base UI, File System, Graphics and Sound engine is more work than Building your own Sim?,

Not sure I read that correctly, but that's kinda what it sounds like he said.

As for AH-64x in DCSW, I believe it was on someone's list... wasnt it?

As for the link, it's a few pages from a manual, doesnt mean anything really.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I could be wrong here but IIRC it was just mentioned as a possibility in the DCS World video 1+ years ago.

As for the link, it's a few pages from a manual, doesnt mean anything really.

Agree with you but they say that staying optimistic and do a little wishfull thinking prolongs your life. I may need the extra few years to be around when a dual seat AH-64x happens ;)

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Maybe (just maybe) some talented russian is already on it??? I saw this the other day...

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/580377/

/KC

I doubt it. At least that manual is no indication in my eyes. I found that yesterday as well and had a similar ... conspiracy theory :o), but my research revealed that it was just uploaded because of some general discussion about the Apache and Hellfires somewhere in the russian section.

Yes, it was. Iirc, it was on ED's list - but with emphasis on "was" ... cry.gif

• 2 weeks later...