Flaming Cliffs 1.1 and Windows 7

Hello, I run both DCS Black Shark and LOMAC on Windows 7 x64 with no trouble. Both are legit purchased copies. I would like to purchase Flaming cliffs 1.1 or 2 if it's out yet but I've heard there are some compatability issues regarding windows 7. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

No problems. Only during the installation, Starforce driver won't be enabled because the version it is installing is not compatible with windows 7. Only thing to do is wait for installation to finish and download and install Starforce update:

http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Thanks for all the replies. I have confirmed from several sources that Flaming Cliffs indeed DOES NOT work with any version of Windows 7 regardless of any starforce update you are using. This seems to be a big gripe of all the people who purchased starforce protected games under previous versions of windows and then for whatever reason chose or had to upgrade to Windows 7. This is one of the reasons behind all the Starforce hate" that seems to prevalent among serious gamers. Other people I talked to claimed that the driver caused issues with their system and the company basically told them to go screw themselves when they inquired about fixes. I personally haven't had any problems with my installation of Black Shark. I guess I'll wait for the release of Flaming Cliffs 2.

Thanks for all the replies. I have confirmed from several sources that Flaming Cliffs indeed DOES NOT work with any version of Windows 7 regardless of any starforce update you are using. This seems to be a big gripe of all the people who purchased starforce protected games under previous versions of windows and then for whatever reason chose or had to upgrade to Windows 7. This is one of the reasons behind all the Starforce hate" that seems to prevalent among serious gamers. Other people I talked to claimed that the driver caused issues with their system and the company basically told them to go screw themselves when they inquired about fixes. I personally haven't had any problems with my installation of Black Shark. I guess I'll wait for the release of Flaming Cliffs 2.

That's incorrect I'm running Flaming Cliffs on Windows 7 Professional X64 without any problems. I just downloaded the Starforce driver and I was good to go.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Thanks for all the replies. I have confirmed from several sources that Flaming Cliffs indeed DOES NOT work with any version of Windows 7 regardless of any starforce update you are using

not correct at all... I am running Flaming Cliffs with Windows 7 also... those people of yours have no clue by the looks of it

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

I play FC 1.12b without any problem on Windows 7.

How to proceed?

- Disable User Access Control

- Install Lockon

- Install FC 1.1

- reboot

- install the patch 1.12b

- reboot

- start Lockon: you will get starforce driver error

- download and install latest starforce driver

- reboot

- start Lockon, it will work fine: now you can configure it (your graphics, joystick settings etc....

- if you want back full security, you can put User Access Control back on

There is one thing, when UAC is enabled, your Lockon config files and missions will not be written into the program files folder, but under

c:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics

So, if you have to edit graphics.cfg it is the file in that directory that you should modify. (Set View hiden files to on in Folder options to be able to see these folders).

So basically, you can run FC smoothly under Windows 7 with full security if you want! Performance is excellent.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I installed 1.1 on Win 7 but found a drop in FPS.. in fact all my games/sims run like cr@p in 7 ( anyone else find this?). Anyway I decided, for some reason :doh: , to try the "a" patch instead of "b" and as you would expect it didn't work, so I uninstalled 1.12a then reinstalled 1.12b but now I can't get beyond the CD checker and some activation nonsense comes up... arrg :cry: . My fault for trying the wrong patch but why can't you just uninstall Star Force :noexpression:?

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

I had problems, and could not get it to run, until I found that Starforce update, now it works fine.

Except, that in some SP campaign missions I get no radio message sound at all, which makes it kind of hard to tell what is going on when subtitles are off...

---

@Cosmonaut: Regarding Framerate issues, I actually did benchmarking in ArmaII comparing against XP, and found that Win 7 ran about 30% faster.

You should look for the Starforce update, you can get 1.12b to work, you just need to install the update.

Edited by thaFunkster

The sfdrvup.zip worked the first time I installed 1.12b in Win7 but after uninstalling Lo then reinstalling, that has left me with the problem of not being able to get past the CD checker.

@thaFunkster; Thanks for the info. I'm having the opposite effect with win7 in that every game sim is running about 30% slower, so I'll have to look into it.. maybe something is turned on somewhere that's dragging my system down.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

How to proceed?

- Install Lockon

- Install FC 1.1

- reboot

- reboot

- reboot

- start Lockon, it will work fine: now you can configure it (your graphics, joystick settings etc....

There is one thing, when UAC is enabled, your Lockon config files and missions will not be written into the program files folder, but under

c:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics

So, if you have to edit graphics.cfg it is the file in that directory that you should modify. (Set View hiden files to on in Folder options to be able to see these folders).

So basically, you can run FC smoothly under Windows 7 with full security if you want! Performance is excellent.

Hi... i use your way to install ... but after instal i must restart computer....after restart windows go to reconstruction mode and windows uninstal my lockon from computer :( sorry for my english :)

Hi... i use your way to install ... but after instal i must restart computer....after restart windows go to reconstruction mode and windows uninstal my lockon from computer :( sorry for my english :)

You must mean that Windows uninstalls the starforce driver? In that case do not reboot after installing FC 1.1, but just startup FC 1.1 once, so that the starforce driver is installed, then install patch 1.12b and the new starforce driver BEFORE rebooting.

If that works, let me now, than I will change my post accordingly!

(PS i'm talking about web version, not CD version!)

Edited by tflash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

How to proceed?

- Install Lockon

- Install FC 1.1

- reboot

- reboot

- reboot

Just wanted to say thanks for this.:thumbup:

Had to do some serious searching through the various threads on the subject before coming across this working solution.

Dont let the smell get to ya...............

Here's what I do.

1. Create the Eagle Dynamics folder in Program Files myself manually.

2. Right-click and go to Properties -> Security of this new folder.

3. Make your Windows logon user (e.g. mine is 'topdog') the Owner of this folder, and give this user Full Control access.

4. Install the game letting it go into C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\blah\blah

Result:

No need to disable UAC. No need to Run As Administrator. No messing about with the VirtualStore or having double copies of the same configuration files. No decreased security in the OS. Basically just like being in Windows XP but without letting the app(s) run rampant around your system to places they should not be allowed to go, exactly how the security should work for you.

It's just a shame Microsoft didn't see fit to produce a decent user's guide / delta guide for users upgrading from earlier versions of Windows. Their guides are aimed at glossy 'wow here is new cool feature X doesn't it look cool' without actually covering the important differences and generating all sorts of phobia against UAC or the Program Files location.

• Like 1

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

Here's what I do.

1. Create the Eagle Dynamics folder in Program Files myself manually.

2. Right-click and go to Properties -> Security of this new folder.

3. Make your Windows logon user (e.g. mine is 'topdog') the Owner of this folder, and give this user Full Control access.

4. Install the game letting it go into C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\blah\blah

Result:

No need to disable UAC. No need to Run As Administrator. No messing about with the VirtualStore or having double copies of the same configuration files. No decreased security in the OS. Basically just like being in Windows XP but without letting the app(s) run rampant around your system to places they should not be allowed to go, exactly how the security should work for you.

It's just a shame Microsoft didn't see fit to produce a decent user's guide / delta guide for users upgrading from earlier versions of Windows. Their guides are aimed at glossy 'wow here is new cool feature X doesn't it look cool' without actually covering the important differences and generating all sorts of phobia against UAC or the Program Files location.

Thanks for this, I'm new to Win 7/Vista, and this I should find very useful. My older brother has had issues with Vista, which is why I have only upgraded to Win 7 today, hopefully this will solve a lot of problems for me. Very much appreciated.

I've just had the same experience, and then some!! Not only did it uninstall LockOn and Flaming Cliffs, it also uninstlalled Black Shark, all my Saitek software and drivers, and my TrackIR software, and my Steam software. Not impressed, as I've spent most of today setting it all up (just got my PC today) and downloading lots of stuff, now I'm back to square one. I'm going to try it this time with the Starforce driver work around mentioned by Distiler (thanks) but I must say I can see why people hate Starforce so much. This is fortunately my first encounter with any problems. Anyway, I'm installing FC1 first before all the other stuff this time. I'll report back if it goes okay.

Well, managed to get passed all the Starforce stuff, but now it crashes on start up with a Runtime error message. I'm ready to give up on this.

I think my process was:

Install Lockon

Start it into the GUI, and exit

Install Flaming Cliffs

Install patch to 1.12b

reboot

start FC from desktop icon, error message appeared

Ran the Starforce driver update, which I had to do as Administrator

did that successfully, went to start FC and got the runtime error before even getting into the splash screen.

Guess I'm just going to have to settle for FC2, but I'm going to miss the Crimea!

Edited by andyfoot

I just found out that the Starforce F*** UP has also cost me an activation for Black Shark, even though it was already installed on my new PC and activated, I didn't re-install the operating system or anything drastic like that, I just tried to install FC1 as it's a long time all time favourite game of mine. This has made me angry, I do support ED, I have been a big fan since the days of Flanker 2. I have legally bought copies, 2 of Lockon, 2 of Flaming Cliffs, 2 of Black Shark and one of FC2 and I do intend to continue supporting ED as I think they are THE BEST at what they do. I thought that if you just re-install a copy of Black Shark, without altering any system components or operating system, you don't lose an activation, well Windows 7 & Starforce disagree with that so be warned. I have today had to install Black Shark twice on a brand new rig, I played BS for about 10 mins of the first install just whilst I was setting up my TrackIR and X52 Pro settings, so it was bad enough I had to redo most of all my installs all over again, but then to lose an activation as well is just a real P****R. On top of the Starforce saga, I then tried to install FC2, but guess what? It wouldn't let me because it couldn't find an installed version of FC1 (which I thought was not a pre-req), fortunately I solved that one by uninstalling FC1 and ALL Starforce drivers, but leaving LockOn installed. It also uninstalled my download copy of AVP, about 1.5Gb worth, which I am now having to download all over again!!

Anyway, I'm getting back on track and I do look forward to the hundreds/thousands of hours I will be playing BS & FC2 and other DCS modules on my nice shiny new computer.

Edited by andyfoot