Using the ADI in the SU27

Just wondering how closely people follow the waypoint course needles in the SU-27.

Personally, I have been trying to improve my flying skills by staying on course to the best of my abilty, but the recommnded flght path is often strange.

For example, you are usually instructed to turn too late before a waypoint, meaning that you need to do a large correction to get on course for the next one. There is usually three or four back and forth corrections before you are lined up.

Do other people have this experience?

Just wondering how closely people follow the waypoint course needles in the SU-27.

Personally, I have been trying to improve my flying skills by staying on course to the best of my abilty, but the recommnded flght path is often strange.

For example, you are usually instructed to turn too late before a waypoint, meaning that you need to do a large correction to get on course for the next one. There is usually three or four back and forth corrections before you are lined up.

Have you viewed Ironhand's navigation tutorial? He gives a good explanation of how to smoothly intercept the course line as you approach the next way point.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming | i5 7600K 3.8 GHz | ASRock Z270 Pro4 | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 16 GB | PNY CS2030 NVMe SSD 480 GB | WD Blue 7200 RPM 1TB HDD | Corsair Carbide 200R ATX Mid-Tower | Win 10 x64

I use the ADI and HSI to follow the course the same way I would track a radial of a VOR in a civilian aircraft. First thing is once you've tracked the course then do not make any course corrections once you're about 5 or 10 km from the waypoint.

What I do is to just select the next waypoint once I'm close enough to make a smooth turn towards the new heading and course.

Also as GhostDog said check out Ironhand's tutorials.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

I don't use ADI. I watch MFD and usualy I fly accordingly to the MFD line.

But there are missions where route is really weird so I choose myself way to the enemy.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I don't use ADI. I watch MFD and usualy I fly accordingly to the MFD line.

But there are missions where route is really weird so I choose myself way to the enemy.

Yes, but...

case 1 - staying on a flightpath is a better deal, imagine traffic (ferry flights or other combat guys flying along) and you might collide in midair,

case 2 - preplanned routes that drive you thru the air defense are only good if you follow needles

case 3 - Flanker/MiG MFD in LOFC is good for nothing, is unreallistic (displaying AB icons) and not very multifunctional. I often set MFD/HUD failure to appear at 0:00 after 0:00 and keep my eyes on steam gauges for SA and NAV. IFR is a must and makes you develop a habit of checking your instruments.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, but...

case 1 - staying on a flightpath is a better deal, imagine traffic (ferry flights or other combat guys flying along) and you might collide in midair,

case 2 - preplanned routes that drive you thru the air defense are only good if you follow needles

case 3 - Flanker/MiG MFD in LOFC is good for nothing, is unreallistic (displaying AB icons) and not very multifunctional. I often set MFD/HUD failure to appear at 0:00 after 0:00 and keep my eyes on steam gauges for SA and NAV. IFR is a must and makes you develop a habit of checking your instruments.

You're right on all points except I think 3. I've seen footage a while back and it looked pretty much the same as it does in Lockon, but don't quoute me on that as it was a long time ago ;).

And remember it's an HDD not MFD so for basic course location it works quite well and for IFF through data link it works great.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

I agree with Vekkinho, following the needles turns into a habit once you get used to them. I often design training missions for my squadron with very limited visibility and MFD+HUD failure, where the task is simple route following and landing. Especially the landing in something like 100m of visibility teaches you to watch and rely on your instruments :)

You don't have to fly over each and every waypoint! Don't chase the needles when you're within 5km!

In NAV mode you'll automatically switch to next waypoint when you're close to selected one. When I'm on correct heading and flightpath I often switch to next waypoint just to check its alt and heading to it. Now let's say we're heading 270° and we're 10km from selected waypoint, let's check next one. Needles on the HSI move to show us heading to next WP and it's at 360°. This means we'll snap +90°. Now check your alt and IAS and calculate the radii your plane makes in a 4G turn at given speed. Le'ts say its a 2km! So 2 km before reaching current waypoint turn 4G sustained into a new heading of 360° and you'll stay on correct flightpath. Switch to new WP if it doesn't switch automatically!

Hope this helps!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For example, you are usually instructed to turn too late before a waypoint, meaning that you need to do a large correction to get on course for the next one.

Wanna know why this happens?!

You're flying too fast!

You're being instructed to turn according to the speed set for that waypoint so if you're flying 900 over a 500km/h waypoint you'll overshoot!

Keep your IAS and alt according to the speed and altitude you're supposed to be at for a given waypoint!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're right on all points except I think 3. I've seen footage a while back and it looked pretty much the same as it does in Lockon, but don't quoute me on that as it was a long time ago ;).

And remember it's an HDD not MFD so for basic course location it works quite well and for IFF through data link it works great.

Yes, NAV lines and WP marks are pretty much there as well as BVR cone but trust me, there's no airbase icons (runway strips) in NAV and no ground targets displayed! However HUD can be slewed into MFD!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, but...

Exactly, and the main reason I try to follow the course lines is because I am practising precise flying.

If I stop, I will get sloppy again. I am practising so that when the time comes my precision flying skills are good and 104th Carrier Quals will feel easy.

Thanks for the advice about Ironhand's tutorials, I have never seen any, I will look them up.

Exactly, and the main reason I try to follow the course lines is because I am practising precise flying.

If I stop, I will get sloppy again. I am practising so that when the time comes my precision flying skills are good and 104th Carrier Quals will feel easy.

Thanks for the advice about Ironhand's tutorials, I have never seen any, I will look them up.

http://flankertraining.com. Look in the flight basics section.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming | i5 7600K 3.8 GHz | ASRock Z270 Pro4 | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 16 GB | PNY CS2030 NVMe SSD 480 GB | WD Blue 7200 RPM 1TB HDD | Corsair Carbide 200R ATX Mid-Tower | Win 10 x64