Mig-29A Datalink

I am fairly certain all Mig-29's have had GCI datalink systems(I don't know about AWAC datalink) and I think the Mig-29A(9.12) has the Laszlo datalink it has been specifically mentioned many times that the Datalink systems were removed from export fighters such as the German Mig-29A's. Besideds if the real life Mig-29's didn't have datalink why does the 9.13S version in the game have it? Thanks for the quik response to my question Kuosta.

• ED Team

MiG-29 has not datalink. GCI radio channel can be used by AWACS for guidance as well as by any other guidance platform wich has particular equipment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

• ED Team
Czech and Slovak 9-12a had Lazur datalink.

It is not datalink. It is GCI radio system. Sorry, I don't know how to translate it better. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is not datalink. It is GCI radio system. Sorry, I don't know how to translate it better. ;)
Ahh so thats it, thanks Olgerd. How does this GCI radio system relay information is it audio or can the data be visually relayed via the HUD or head down display?

• ED Team
Ahh so thats it, thanks Olgerd. How does this GCI radio system relay information is it audio or can the data be visually relayed via the HUD or head down display?

The information is displayed at HUD - circle and two numeric values. Also there is single guidance commands at left side.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the Mig-29A(9.12) has the Laszlo datalink.

The key word here is "I think" find out where you saw it and give us a link if possible.

The key word here is "I think" find out where you saw it and give us a link if possible.

Our MiG-29's had the LAZUR datalink system. The panel to select the channel, and ecryption key was located on the lower right panel, in the middle (I'll try to find a pic).

Transmitted data to the pilot included target altitude, speed and heading (both on the HUD and as separate small needles on the analog instruments). Also, the system allowed the GCI operator to remotely set radar elevation, azimuth and mode, input the distance to the target via the trarget designator box, and to switch on the radar illumination remotely, when the target was at the proper distance. Also, when coordinated with the GCI via the LAZUR system, the radar used a 6-bar scan mode, instead of the normal 4-bar mode. It was quite a useful system, when used by a skilled pilot and a good GCI operator.

Also, some commands were given to the pilot, as symbols illuminating on the HUD - the ones I remember now were "Afterburner" - an F was illuminating on the left center side of the HUD, and steep climb (I don't remember the term exctly right now) - a G appeared below the F, on the HUD

Octav

Our MiG-29's had the LAZUR datalink system. The panel to select the channel, and ecryption key was located on the lower right panel, in the middle (I'll try to find a pic).

Transmitted data to the pilot included target altitude, speed and heading (both on the HUD and as separate small needles on the analog instruments). Also, the system allowed the GCI operator to remotely set radar elevation, azimuth and mode, input the distance to the target via the trarget designator box, and to switch on the radar illumination remotely, when the target was at the proper distance. Also, when coordinated with the GCI via the LAZUR system, the radar used a 6-bar scan mode, instead of the normal 4-bar mode. It was quite a useful system, when used by a skilled pilot and a good GCI operator.

Also, some commands were given to the pilot, as symbols illuminating on the HUD - the ones I remember now were "Afterbunrer" - an F was illuminating on the left center side uf the HUD, and steep climb (I don't remember the term exctly right now) - a G appeared below the F, on the HUD

Octav

I wrote that because nunsuch didn't know he thought the 29A had the Laszlo datalink. And I wanted him to show us a link or something about it.

And what do you mean by "Our MiG-29's had the LAZUR datalink system." So they don't have them anymore?

I wrote that because nunsuch didn't know he thought the 29A had the Laszlo datalink. And I wanted him to show us a link or something about it.

And what do you mean by "Our MiG-29's had the LAZUR datalink system." So they don't have them anymore?

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/vvs/mig29-01.htm

Where it lists the known varients it says.

MiG-29 (Factory index 9.12B; `Fulcrum-A'): Downgraded version for non-Warsaw Pact export customers. Lacked Laszlo datalink. Built from 1986. Avionics include N-019EB radar, OEPrNK-29E2 EO complex, L006LM/101 RHAWS and further reduced-capability IFF and ECM.

Admitadly a flawed resource but I had read about it other places as well.

Could this GCI link system be added as a feature for Lock On, could GCI be improved because at least in 1.02 I couldn't even get them to talk to me(don't know if thats changed).

Unfortunatly GCI is non existant in Lock On, wich is a major drawback in a realistic representation of russian fighters. GCI is an integral part of soviet/russian areal doctrin and the lack of it is a major stopper in realistic employment of these fighters. In a similar way the F-15 is affected by the lack of a real AWACS controller ( one that realy controlls ) or the A-10 by the lack of proper FAC procedures. Making realistic avionics and good flightmodel alone doesn't make a realistic flightsim.

I realy hope ED makes drastical improvements in that area in the future.

I'm just going by my likely reaction to having such a nice 'toy', then being told I cant play with it no more...

My associated minimun safe distance: 25m

Mine should be in excess of 1 km :D

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/vvs/mig29-01.htm

Where it lists the known varients it says.

Admitadly a flawed resource but I had read about it other places as well.

Quite a lot of mistakes - small, most of them, but it's enough to loose your trust in all the info.

Could this GCI link system be added as a feature for Lock On, could GCI be improved because at least in 1.02 I couldn't even get them to talk to me(don't know if thats changed).

That would be a very useful feature - in Lockon the 29 isn't used at all as it should - none of it's 2 ways of obtaining situational awareness are implemented - neither the voice command system or the lazur system.

Both of them would require some sort of GCI code to be implemented. The best solution (I think), would be to implement some sort of LAZUR system for the primary target, which will be selected by the computer-controlled GCI operator by the same principles used in target prioritisation in SNP mode, but at the same time implementing the voice-based GCI system for the other info, regarding other targets. Also, some sort of command to allow the player to request another target should be implemented.

Wel, this seems to me to be quite complicated, and I think it would be quite time consuming. Maybe a better (yet less realistic sollution), would be to implement the main target on the LAZUR system, and use a secondary mode on the HDD, which would display (when enabled), a STATIC picture of the airspace around the player's plane, what would update only let's say 10 seconds after the HDD has been switched back to it's primary display data. On that static picture, which would provide some info for a limited number of planes (let's say the closest 4-8), the player would have the option to cycle through them to select it's target to be used for the LAZUR system. This could be used to simulate the info a pilot would get via voice from the ground, about the airspace situation around him. The ones that consider this sysem unreallistic could just switch it off from the options menu.

It's an ideea - maybe someone else would think more about that, for 1.2

Octav

Thanks Octav the top bit was exactly what I was thinking would be great to have with the Mig-29 and GCI functionality would also help all the other aircraft in the game by vectoring them to target and warning them of threats.

I suspect that with a GCI system in place that would vector you to target and keep you informed about the overall situation the only thing that would have to change to apply that to AWAC would be to chamge what is visible.