y2kiah's A-10C cockpit build

y2kiah

The floor is level or Flat. The stick is elevated in the pit I am not sure how much.

Here is another picture of a C Model.

attachment.php?attachmentid=39972&d=1276394488

I suppose that it could be an optical illusion, but the floor really does appear to slope down in the pedal area.

Cheers,

Pogo

Intel I7 920 Std Clock - 6GB DDR3 RAM - 2 x GTX260 SLI - 10K 130GB Velociraptor Drive - Vista 64Bit - Saitek X52 Pro Hotas - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - TrackIR 5

I was thinking more in line of what is used on military simulator

Yeah that looks real good, I'll go with that solution to hang the instruments off of the arch.

I see that space left pan is adjusted for TMs new throttle :-)

The arch size is the quiz. I got no possibility to verify but the dimensions of the real thing but it "feels" slightly oversized comparing with seat height and rest of the pit. If it's been verified, can you share the dimensions of the frame/arch ?

Looks the outer frame is wood based. What is your plan to access the Pit ? (external ladder, opening one side section, a sliding chair or climb in and out using the seat) ?

Right you are, TMs throttle will drop right in to the spot and bolt to a platform for support.

The arch needs some work, no doubt. For one thing, it needs to be more circular and flat at the top, and less egg-shaped. I'm going to search for a free 3d model to try to get some dimensions from it.

I believe that the floor drops about 1" or so in the rudder pedal area.

I've seen that little detail, but not sure if I'll put it in or not. It would make construction of the base much more complicated

As for accessing the pit, the following screen shots should explain pretty well. With all the bells and whistles of a complete working pit, I think this is my favorite feature of all :thumbup:

A-10C_Pit_14.png

A-10C_Pit_15.png

A-10C_Pit_16.png

The pit frame is wood or MDF, here's a screen with all of the skinning hidden. Skinning will be a very important part of this construction, I'll have to find good materials to use and good techniques.

A-10C_Pit_17.png

Hi y2kiah check your pm I am on MSn now if your building out of MDF one hinge and no roller would worry me. or you can pm me you email address or get ahold of me tomorrow your choice

Edited by Deadman

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Hi y2kiah check your pm I am on MSn now if your building out of MDF one hinge and no roller would worry me. or you can pm me you email address or get ahold of me tomorrow your choice

would worry me too. there will be casters under the frame (at least for the side consoles) and I'll support the hinge with some metal brackets. The pit won't have any screws going directly into wood or MDF, I'm going to use cross dowels for corners and machine screws/washers/bolt for all joinery. For skinning, I was thinking about tapping holes along some aluminum angle and screwing directly into that. Any other ideas, if you have them, are much appreciated.

For skinning I plan to use the same technique used for RC aircraft. Simply use wood sheeting 1/16-1/8" thick. Cut out the dimension you need. Youll want to use wood that can be bent without cracking it. Soaking the wood in water and drying it out while it is bent will aid in the bending process and help it keep its shape once its dry. Then simply glue or nail or combination of both to the formers. Its not hard but after you done it a few times you'll get more familiar with technique.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

Thanks guys it means a lot. At the very least I'll have a nice 3d model of the pit! The real challenge is still to come, converting this "art" into a real working pit.

Will this be something you'll sell the plans for eventually?
It's a possibility, if there is enough interest. I may just release the plans free and offer a kit for others to buy. Before any of this happens, I will have to build it for myself to iron out any problems and make sure I'm releasing something that works.

Some have asked me via PM for the electronic file. I can pretty much cover all those requests with a blanket statement that I'm not going to give away the 3d model in electronic format, not yet anyway. Be patient and bear with me, I'll post the dimensions that I've guestimated for all to see and use free of charge.

And last but not least, the circuit breaker panel has been designed. This will most likely NOT be implemented with working breakers or solenoids in my pit. I plan to make some dummy breaker caps and attach them for looks. If I win the lottery some day, maybe I'll think about buying some real breakers to make this a working panel.

Circuit_Breaker_Panel.png

This is some outstanding modeling, thank you for sharing. As a sketchup newb I am finding it very difficult to consistently perform even basic CAD operations like cutting holes. I finally finished my first panel last night but not without a lot of cursing under my breath. :) Do you have any pointers or tutorials on making panels in sketchup or would you consider sharing your panel creation process?

Regards,

Wm

i7-950, 8GB DDR3, EVGA X58, GTX 460 SE 1GB, Win XP 64Bit, CH gear (stick, throttle, rudder pedals), TM Cougar MFDs

William Riley

http://workbench.freetcp.com

This is some outstanding modeling, thank you for sharing. As a sketchup newb I am finding it very difficult to consistently perform even basic CAD operations like cutting holes. I finally finished my first panel last night but not without a lot of cursing under my breath. :) Do you have any pointers or tutorials on making panels in sketchup or would you consider sharing your panel creation process?

Regards,

Wm

Thanks wriley! I started out slow too, but it doesn't take much time for your proficiency to increase. Hmm lets see... pointers. If you haven't already learned the keyboard shortcuts for each tool, definitely use them. You'll save a lot of time not having to drag your mouse over to a tool icon and back again to change tools. For panels I try to work on a 2d plane for as long as possible, then extrude it out to make a 3d object at the very end. I use the measurement tool a LOT. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Thanks wriley! I started out slow too, but it doesn't take much time for your proficiency to increase. Hmm lets see... pointers. If you haven't already learned the keyboard shortcuts for each tool, definitely use them. You'll save a lot of time not having to drag your mouse over to a tool icon and back again to change tools. For panels I try to work on a 2d plane for as long as possible, then extrude it out to make a 3d object at the very end. I use the measurement tool a LOT. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

I am finally getting somewhere and knocked out a SAS base plate last night. The realization that layers do not work like every other software package and the difference between groups and components helped a lot. Back to lurk mode now.

i7-950, 8GB DDR3, EVGA X58, GTX 460 SE 1GB, Win XP 64Bit, CH gear (stick, throttle, rudder pedals), TM Cougar MFDs

William Riley

http://workbench.freetcp.com

Outstanding. I could build the thing in the virtual world but have no clue on how to make it all work in real life with the sim.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

I would like to have a coppy of your layout when you have finished your testing along with the pannels. You have dun some exelant work there. I can't wait to see it start to come together.

Depending on the next DCS releas after A-10c. If it is not the AH-64 I will build a A10 pit. And would very much like to use your layout. Mostly I need the dash as that will be the first thing I build for the MFCD's.

Keep up the good work. Your saving alot of time for the rest of us. :)

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

Well I've officially started construction of the pit. I made 4 cuts!!! That's right... FOUR! I know, serious stuff. I'm starting with the right console panel mount surface. I'm using aluminum angle .5" x 1" where the short edge faces up for the rails. J-B Weld bonds the pieces together. The rail surface will fit onto the console ribs and secure in place with screws.

This weekend I'm going to cut out some panel light plates (but they're not for me, darn).

Some updates to the pit design, more stuff on the instrument panel

A-10C_Pit_18.png

Pit extended 12 inches for leg room, and a flat surface to mount the monitor/tv. I'll do my best to curve the top edge of the skinning on the real thing.

A-10C_Pit_19.png

The ADI has room for a 5.6" 4:3 screen, portrait orientation. The HSI will have a 5" 4:3 screen, landscape orientation. I haven't ordered those yet, but I did order a 3.5" 320x240 TFT for the CDU, it fits nicely and is barely smaller than the real screen. This TFT is driven from a microcontroller so no connection to the PC is required. Hopefully ED will export the CDU text line for line, or this solution probably won't work. In that case, any old 3.5" screen will do that can be connected to the sim PC.

A-10C_Pit_20.png

Man That is looking Great !!! :thumbup: Check out this guy Nightowl over at VP he gives some good advice when working with Aluminum.

http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=549.270

Edited by Deadman

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Hey y2kiah,

I am pretty sure I read that you have a CNC that you'll be making your panels with. How will you get your panels from Sketchup into something you can then create the code for the CNC?

Do you have the Pro version of Sketchup or have you found a way to do it with the free version?

I use the free version. There are a few scripts available (google it) that export to dxf. I open the exported dxf into CamBam and design the machining operations, then export the G Code. The CAM step can be just as time consuming as designing the panel in CAD.

Hey you have not said how your home made CNC is working could you give us a ballpark figure on what a 3'x5' machine cost you to build. I would love to have one that size but the garage is just to small.