y2kiah's A-10C cockpit build

y2kiah

I'm also cooking up a Arduino based solution. I'm planning at this point on a Mega88 setup using V-USB as an interface to the computer then run a RS-485 bus to expansion cards. Although you could probably substitute a network shield instead of the USB.

I've got the circuit's down and laid out for:

1) A stepper card (can control up to 5 steppers run by EasyDriver boards. (3" x 2")

2) A general panel board with 32 digital inputs (common ground and no diodes necessary) and 16 PWM outputs (which can run either individually dim-able LEDs or servos). (3" x 3")

All boards are laid out with DIP chips for easy soldering, but they are packed tight. Each panel has a 12v barrel jack and two connections for the RS-485 buss to be daisy chained. Also they are designed to use the Arduino 328/168 chips and have ICSP and Arduino serial headers.

I have all the parts to start prototyping the board with a bread board and start working on the firmware. Well except for the RS-485 driver (slaps forehead I ordered the SIOC version which may come in handy later). Once I finish prototyping I'll post of the eagle files under the appropriate licenses.

• Like 1

PCB per panel.

I've etched my own in the past. Life's too short. Now I use these guys:

http://www.olimex.com/pcb/index.html

I use this for layout:

http://www.freepcb.com/

Cheers,

Colin

I just wanted to add that there's nothing wrong with etching your own boards if it gives you satisfaction. I know I got a lot of satisfaction out of it when I was doing mine. I even printed multi-colored "silkscreens" on clear mailing labels.

One other option is this board. I've used a lot of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102845

Cheers,

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

new renders

I'm learning a new renderer so in the future my renders will be more photo real. These are default renders with absolutely no work put into materials or lighting, and already a big improvement over Sketchup's stock renderer.

front_panel01.png

A-10C_Pit_21.png

Edited by y2kiah

Looks fantastic!! Really looking forward to seeing your pit when you're done building it (not the mention all progress pics)! :)

That makes two of us :megalol: My new CNC is nearly ready, I can't wait to start cutting again.

I'm learning a new renderer so in the future my renders will be more photo real. These are default renders with absolutely no work put into materials or lighting, and already a big improvement over Sketchup's stock renderer.

front_panel01.png

A10C_Pit_21.png

Awesome work, I'd love to pick your brain on dash dimensions, that's my biggest sticking point right now! Keep up the great work.

Hey guys, I have a question: can someone record a video of the HSI in action? I would like to see how the elements on the front of instrument move in relation each other. Maybe a turn from base to final with the ILS active? And include some manipulation of the loc needle?

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

• 4 weeks later...

Hi y2kiah, I think that your work is outstanding and would love to have ago myself. I use Skecthup and would love a copy of your plans if poss PLEASE PLEASE, only just been told about this sim (A10). Please message me if you would be able to pass the details to me.

Again GREAT work.

Rick :)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I haven't made any progress on the pit since my last update. My first priority is to finish building the new CNC in my garage. Next, I have to finish some panels that I still owe. And finally, I will be able to start on my own pit. My garage got filled up with crap and it became impossible to work in that space. I finally broke down and bought a shed last weekend to house all of said crap... so now my garage can be a shop once again, finally.

I have been stalking the forums though, getting jealous at all the progress others are making.

As for plans, here is what I'll do. I'm going to build the left side console first. When I'm nearing the end of that I'll have a better idea of how the plans turned out, and what may need to be tweaked. I'll post the plans and a list of materials once they are fully thought out and tested. The rest will follow, of course.

I'm still undecided on how tall I should make the base of the pit. The two choices basically boil down to

1) only enough to sufficiently mount the stuff that I need to mount to it, this turns out to be somewhere around 6 inches, or

2) much higher off the ground, provide more room for storage down below and raise the seat to a comfortable level for getting in and out.

What is your opinion on this matter, guys?

You going for stationary Pit or (semi) mobile ? If stationary I'd go for option 2 or why not having a detachable subsection placed under.

If 6" in option 1 is "floor" limit above true ground, it willstill cover a lot of cabling, power and elctronics. then it's the mobility part inhouse. Having the pit restrained to the garage or build"site" in the long run might impact on the use of it.

Another issue may be how it will be presented or used, (i.e. event etc). From a visitors view. looking into the Pit from slight above can be good instead of 'climbing' up to it to get a peak :-)

Less material may also imply a more solid platform (in terms of strength)

Projectors or LCDs ? The last will force a bit larger/wide frame in option 2 to mount em on (not sure about the correct english word here but I think you know what I intend)

Edited by Duckling

- - - -

Semi-mobile in the sense that it won't be one solid piece in the end. It will be modular where each section can fit through a standard doorway. But, it will be stationary once everything is bolted together, it won't be on wheels or anything like that. The two side consoles will swing out like doors, with a caster on the outer edge for support. With a tall base I may have to rethink that part.

Flim how big are you talking? I'll have a cutting space a little over 5'x2', just a bit longer than my first machine.

Thanks guys I like the idea of a higher sitting position too. Nothing too crazy, maybe I'll just boost it up to the point where the seat is at the same level as a desk chair. I'll fool around with some designs to see what can be done.

dont let this die! its so awesome! lol

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

dont let this die! its so awesome! lol

Fear not! The project is alive and kicking. In fact, the concept will become a reality when it is cut and built in the not-too-distant future. That's all I will say for now.

Screenshots of the latest. You can see I've started to place drill holes on the sides, getting it ready for machining. I've also added a splash of color to distinguish between wood and metal parts.

A-10C_Pit_22.png

You can see above that I'm thinking about adding 3 or 4 inches to the length to get back behind the seat a bit.

A-10C_Pit_23.png

y2kiah, I've been following your build since the start of this thread and am rather envious that I don't posses the skills to complete one of my own. I was having a what would I do moment, and thought the only thing you need to figure out now, is how to incorporate a small firing drogue sized chute into your ejection seat, say by packing it in a tube hidden in the seat and firing it out with compressed air, if for nothing more then to just scare the hell out of people pulling the handle for the first time. It could be controlled via a simple linkage to the ejection handle and connect to a cheap spring loaded purge valve from an air compressor tank or even an electronic actuator. As for a tube and tank, PVC could provide a cheap simple solution, a small section of say 3 in. pipe capped with the proper adapted fittings could work nicely. I've built something similar in the form of a 2-liter bottle water rocket launcher and usually charge it to 90 psi, I even put a pressure gauge on it for filling. Does that sound like something you might try to design? It could be a really cool show piece for your build.

LOL - love that idea!! :thumbup:

y2kiah, I've been following your build since the start of this thread and am rather envious that I don't posses the skills to complete one of my own. I was having a what would I do moment, and thought the only thing you need to figure out now, is how to incorporate a small firing drogue sized chute into your ejection seat, say by packing it in a tube hidden in the seat and firing it out with compressed air, if for nothing more then to just scare the hell out of people pulling the handle for the first time. It could be controlled via a simple linkage to the ejection handle and connect to a cheap spring loaded purge valve from an air compressor tank or even an electronic actuator. As for a tube and tank, PVC could provide a cheap simple solution, a small section of say 3 in. pipe capped with the proper adapted fittings could work nicely. I've built something similar in the form of a 2-liter bottle water rocket launcher and usually charge it to 90 psi, I even put a pressure gauge on it for filling. Does that sound like something you might try to design? It could be a really cool show piece for your build.

A solenoid operated sprinkler valve is what you'd need! Rated to 125 psi. Cheap too, usually less than 12-20 bucks. I guess what I just described is really just an air cannon modified to be in a seat. With air cannon plans a plenty on the net, this would be really easy to do.

edit- The more I think about this, the cooler it becomes, you could have a shut-off switch tied into the ejection seat arming lever so that it actually works as a safety mechanism too!

Edited by digitaljjd

I m taking the train while moving.

The build is awesome, the ejection seat is fun.

But getting into the seat will be a PITA.

You should think about a way to get easely in and out.

Like an aisle (side section) under wheels so you can push aside get in or out the seat easely.

And some clamping or wheel brakes so the section doesnt goes away when you use the consoles on the aisle.

I m not a pilot but been on many military grade sims, and stepping in and outis not confortable. Remember, usually pilot doesnt do it as much as we simmer do it.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Love the parachute tube idea. There are a lot of opportunities to have fun with the build and do some unique things, once the primary task of building it and interfacing it are done. digitaljjd if you can write up a design since you seem to have experience building that kind of thing, that would be awesome.

Getting in and out of the pit should be relatively easy due to its modular design. I have some pictures of the concept a while back but it's been a while, so here are some more. The two side consoles are hinged like a door to the fixed front portion of the sides. If things look weird remember some areas are still a work in progress.

A-10C_Pit_24.png

A-10C_Pit_25.png