y2kiah's A-10C cockpit build

y2kiah

Anyone cut this out yet and try it? I'm looking in more detail and it looks like the notch joints will have a lot of play in them, especially since the plywood I was going to get is actually .7 not .75 inches.

Hope i writing it right:

i have cut it and asked to band it, from 1.5 mm galvanized tin.

will upload some pic later

Flim indicated he used .02" tolerance for notches in his kits. I was resizing the notches to meet that.

Not all ply is .7 there is true .75 but the birch Home Depot and Lowes sell is only .7 which is what I have easy access to. I'm not sure what real .75 ply costs either.

You may (and probably do) have to do a quality check of the dxf. I can't vouch for the quality of the Sketchup to DXF export plugin that I use. I have always had success with it in the past, after some tweaking to get all the correct polylines.

most of the rail structure is 0.5" x 1.0" x .125" architectural type, in stock now here http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/alum2.phtml?page=aangle&LimAcc=%20&aident=.

There are also a couple pieces of 1x1 and some .5" strips to finish the job.

Here is a sketchup file of the rails, with some wireframe of the panel dimensions over it. This is the easiest way to explain it. The channels created on the outer edge of the rails slips over the rib that runs length-wise. I didn't see that piece in your cutouts yet, I'm guessing that's another piece you still have to cut?

rails.7z

Edited by y2kiah
  • Like 1

if your going to a cutter then you don't need to do the tool path or the g-code my cnc guy said all they really need is the size as per the wood 4x8 sheet and the true dxf file if you check the file all lines are corrected as per the size and width in port to a cad program and do a measurement of the lines compared to the specks on the file 1 to 1 full size.

maybe some one would like to do a little art work on the sidees of the seat and re-up the file....

Edited by HOP_TRIZZ

I am not sure what your measuring at 14.1729 all of your measurements on the files are not in inches and 100th of an inch are these your originals or reworks of an old PDF file?

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Couple of previews of the front extension module that adds two feet to the front of the pit. This is an optional module that I would only recommend for people planning a projector setup. The extended front area allows the windscreen frame to be built, adding to the immersion of the pit. I think it adds a lot of personality to the pit and makes it start to resemble a hog.

A-10C_Pit_27.png

The canopy frame would take some real craftsmanship

A-10C_Pit_28.png

View from the business end

A-10C_Pit_29.png

Example with a 6ft radius, 180 degree screen centered at the pilots head, for three projectors. Would be a great setup, if you have the room.

Edited by y2kiah

Looks good. Unfortunately I don't have space for the projector setup, well not at least if I want to stay married. I already get complaints about how much of the basement I take up.

How's the right side comming? Any chance of it getting posted this week? I'd love to be able to get it cut out while I'm on vacation the rest of the month.

Yeah that won't be a problem, just a few more things to clean up and I can post the right, front, and base. You're on your own for the seat mount, I have no clue yet how I'll raise and lower the seat, may just go with fixed height.

Looks good. Unfortunately I don't have space for the projector setup, well not at least if I want to stay married. I already get complaints about how much of the basement I take up.

How's the right side comming? Any chance of it getting posted this week? I'd love to be able to get it cut out while I'm on vacation the rest of the month.