y2kiah's A-10C cockpit build

y2kiah

I mlght be wrong but I'm pretty sure that they request a true size reference of either the total of the objects within the drawing (Width x Hight) or of one of the large pieces within it. They can scale it symetrical but lack a reference of how much

Haven't checked the contence of the file but if someone that has, can state it, i'd think the cutter should be ok.

(had the same issue on several panels I sent to be cut.)

Edited by Duckling

- - - -

Combat2468,

Where did you find to cut the DXF's for you in the UK?

Im also in the UK and have been looking for the same.

Also, if its not too personal how much did it cost?

Cheers,

JG.

Rig: Home Built, water cooled,i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS P8P67Pro Mobo, 8GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 RAM, MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming OC, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Boot, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Games (BS & WH), Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB other,

Samsung UE37D5000 37" LED TV,EloTouch 1600x1200 secondary, Thrustmaster Warthog No.467, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro.

Ex RAF Aircrew, Real Life Pilot, proud Geek and father of one :)

Combat2468,

Where did you find to cut the DXF's for you in the UK?

Im also in the UK and have been looking for the same.

Also, if its not too personal how much did it cost?

Cheers,

JG.

Hey JaseGill,

Cheapest quote I got was from these guys www.cutcnc.co.uk, they are based in Uxbridge but can deliver. The price i'm paying is £564.96 all in, but think i got a bit knocked off as it's for an Air Cadet project. That was for 4 sheets of 8x4 Ply, cutting and delivery. I'm not building the nose extension due to space so the cuts were for Left Side Panel, Right Side Panel, Base and Front sides. Was original going to be 5 working days but forgot to put in some of y2kiah's instructions so had a couple days emailing.

If you do go with them just let them know the below.

The drawings are in imperial measure, and so need to specify inches during import. Also the screen grab which outlines a couple of pieces is for a dado/pocket cut 0.5" deep.

The cheapest after these was a place in shefield, £700+ for MDF and £1000+ for Ply.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Combat2468

Thanks Combat,

Bloody hell, Uxbridge is less than 10 miles from my office and only about 25 from home.

Methinks they're worth a visit :)

Thanks, much appreciated. Which plans did you use in the end Y2kiah's ones I'm guessing?

J.

Rig: Home Built, water cooled,i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS P8P67Pro Mobo, 8GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 RAM, MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming OC, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Boot, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Games (BS & WH), Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB other,

Samsung UE37D5000 37" LED TV,EloTouch 1600x1200 secondary, Thrustmaster Warthog No.467, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro.

Thanks Combat.

I will be watching with interest.

Rgds,

J.

• 1 month later...

I've been reading this thread with a growing interest and also a sense of dread as I think I am about to answer a new calling... building my own A10 cockpit sim. Once I start down this road I know there will be no turning back so I am starting to gather my research info on construction techniques etc.

I that light I was wondering if any of the individual cockpit instrument panels (ie electrical, VHF, UHF, APU, Fuel etc) have been drawn up in AutoCAD and if so are they available to use? I have a small CNC mill and an extensive AutoCAD background and this would be a real timesaver. If not I will draw them up as I need them but I thought I would ask first before I start, just in case.

Thanks and BTW I am amazed at what people are building. All excellent projects I must say.:thumbup:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to a great bunch of folks!

Just a quick note of big THANKS to Y2kiah for all his work with the plans and metalnwood for cutting it out on his CNC Router and then being so patient with me as I struggle with 3D in my head to put it all together! :thumbup:

Flew basic version of pit for first time yesterday and after 30 years of simming wish I had built a pit years ago, What a great bunch of enthusiast we have in our community. One of the best uses of the 'net there is.

Thanks all!

Zap

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

y2kiah, a question for you when you have the time.

I am working on my set of panels for my pit (or your pit :) ) and have a question about the angles for the forward panels on the left and right consoles.

Specifically the electrical panel. If I look inside the texture files for the A10 I can see that this panel has its bottom at ~ 2 degrees so the overall panel is not square. This is obviously so that when it's raised on its two angles the left side and bottom will align square with the panels its next to.

On your plans the panels are angled 18 degrees on the side and I think it was 17.3 degrees upright for the forward most panels on the incline.

With those angles the electrical panel doesnt align well, it probably needs that cut on the bottom of that panel to be closer to 5 degrees.

So, thats not a problem but before I go about it I thought I would run it past you to see if there isnt something I may be overlooking. What angle is that panel cut at in your cad files?

Thanks!

Just as Deadman said, my panel is at 5 deg. It may be on the high side, but looking at photos of the real panel, it seems pretty close. 2 deg looks like it would be a bit on the low side.

Just to add, i saw some photos of yours for the same panel much earlier in the thread. You do have a larger angle on that panel, looking more like nearly 4 degrees.

I will adjust my panel to suit then.

Thank!

• 2 months later...
HELP!

Have finally taken the plunge and decided to build but come to my first stumbling block. I've sent off the .dxf files to my workshops (thanks y2kiah) with the instructions as posted 4x8 ply etc, and have got this reply "Your drawings have come in really small. We are able to scale them back up but require a reference to scale them up to. So are you able to put a boarder of 2440 x 1220mm around each drawing or give us overall dimensions of a piece for reference?"

Does anybody know what they are asking for. I'm an old school armourer who uses hammers and crowbars, and this computer design thing is beyond me. Can anyone help please.

I know this is a bit old, but my CNC guy had the same problem, so he scaled up based on the pilot holes being 1/8", and then to cross check he measured one of the slots that would be used to take 3/4" ply, and the numbers all looked right.

Real world pilot, budding virtual world hog driver...

My Build Thread

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1855253#post1855253

I haven't been checking the A10 build forums in a while...were the CAD files for the front panel ever completed for this design?

Im with you JCook, looking for that front panel cad file y2kiah :) ... and I wonder if there are plans for panel dimensions also?

Looking forward to starting my build really soon!

My Build Thread

nobrot

I think y2kiah has tried explaining the change previously, you can look thru the posts and see if you can figure it out. I've never quite understood the changes as they were explained. I'm more of a visual person I guess.

In leiu of the updated file I'd just go ahead and build with the current design, the defect will become apparent when assembling and then you can just make the adjustment to fit.

I know this is a bit old, but my CNC guy had the same problem, so he scaled up based on the pilot holes being 1/8", and then to cross check he measured one of the slots that would be used to take 3/4" ply, and the numbers all looked right.

Dont have him do that as I am not sure that this is correct, although it may be.

Any slight difference from the correct size will make the width of the panels unlikely to fit in the console spacing.

The plans are in inches, not mm, thats why the size is small, something like 48x96.

Have him import as inches and when loaded switch to metric, most software it will be a 30 second task to do this and you will end up with the correct sizes for everything.

metalnwood - I think you're right. I should have read his post better.

nobrot you can disregard my suggestion - I was referring to a small edit that was going to be made to the left console drawing to fix an issue with the throttle alignment. As far as I know that edit by y2kiah hasn't been done yet.

Question about the throttle supports on ytkiah's plans,

The link shows two parts highlighted, but I am confused about the lines running parallel to the vertical edges, do they represent additional cuts? how should these two parts look after the cut?

y2kiah.jpg

Thanks,

My Build Thread