Next DCS (US) Fixed Wing Aircraft Wish List

diecastbg

Next DCS (US) Fixed Wing Aircraft Wish List  

4719 members have voted

1. 1. Next DCS (US) Fixed Wing Aircraft Wish List

"Eurofighter Typhoon has a foreplane/delta wing configuration that is aerodynamically unstable in the subsonic range. The "delta canard" design shape of the aircraft is driven by a need for:"

http://www.eurofighter.com/capabilities/technology/design-features.html

It would appear even eurofighter use the foreplane as a subset of canards or as the words being interchangeable. (And, to be precise, a canard is not by definition something that controls pitch and roll, though some do that.

Foreplane = subset of canards, same way the closed-couple and control-canard are also a subset of canards, contrasted for example by the lifting canard. (And of course, some closed-couple, like with gripen and rafale, also do what the control-canard do.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, then the Typhoon tech manuals and instruction given to ground crew types must be wrong. ;)

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Well, then the Typhoon tech manuals and instruction given to ground crew types must be wrong. ;)

Sounds like someone invented their own definition indeed. :P

A foreplane in general is just the same as a tailplane - but it's in front of the main wing, not in the tail. And does a tailplane stop being a tailplane on aircraft where they are also used for roll control? And what of canards that are fixed and don't provide any control authority at all? What are they?

Now, I can certainly see the utility of differentiating between types - same way it is valuable to differentiate a flaperon from an aileron. But the point is that roll control is not required to be a canard. So for the F-15 one can be more specific and say "elevon", but it is the height of anal to say it does not have an "elevator" or a "tailplane". It's like calling foul at the Draken being called a Delta-wing just because it's a double-delta, or a hydrogen bomb being called a nuclear weapon when it's actually a thermonuclear weapon. :P

EDIT: BTW, SAAB's definition of what the Gripen has is "canard foreplane". Check their technical material if you like. Another case can be found in Influence of Psychological Factors on product development by STL: "In another case, the Rafale foreplane was analyzed for use of alternative technologies".

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Make sure to get some video of that. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

A canard is simply a horizontal stabilizer that goes in front of the main wing instead of behind it. If it controls pitch and/or roll, that's a bonus. My guess about why the Typhoon tech manual calls it a foreplane is that "Canard" is a French word and they might have a grudge about the Rafale. Saying the Typhoon doesn't have canards is like saying it doesn't have a wing, it has a mainplane.

Edit: you can disregard that guess, apparently they do say the Typhoon has canards:

"This is calculated from the contribution to lift from each of the aircraft components (the wings, the canards, fuselage etc)"

from http://www.eurofighter.com/capabilities/performance/aerodynamic-characteristics.html

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why is everyone saying the supra Hornet...

IT'S NOT GOING TO BE!! Sorry.

Nor is it going the be the Tomcat.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

F-5 Tiger II =)

Even better...A Mig-28:lol:

Why is everyone saying the supra Hornet...

IT'S NOT GOING TO BE!! Sorry.

Nor is it going the be the Tomcat.

That settles it, it's the Super Hornet. :megalol:

• Like 1

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

If you KNOW what it's NOT going to be,You must KNOW what it WILL BE.

Please let us all KNOW.;)

Logic.:music_whistling:

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Yeah... And that one's a classic even: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dichotomy

:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

one of the examples sticks out. the "with us or against us" line is rhetorical, it's not meant to be logical. it's not saying if you're not with us, you can only be against us. it's saying either you're with us, or you're not with us, but we'll count that as an against for the sake of making a strong easily understood statement. the understood and intended meaning is completely different from the meaning at face value.

i expected more from wikipedia tbh.

As easy as I'm sure it would be to get perfect information on a trainer jet I don't know how interested I'd ultimately be in something that's a simulation twice over...

I, for one, hope we never find out what the jet is, even when we're flying it. That way it could be any plane. DCS: Schrödinger's Tomcat.

• Like 1

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk