diecastbg

Next DCS (US) Fixed Wing Aircraft Wish List  

4719 members have voted

1. 1. Next DCS (US) Fixed Wing Aircraft Wish List

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure the F18 excludes the F16, on the contrary I would assume that making the second one would be much less effort.

Possibly, yes. But you gotta start somewhere.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Who says there even has to be a reason for it? Any organisation has priorities, and realistic, achievable goals.

The F-16 just doesn't happen to be one of them right now, no matter who among the consumers thinks it should be.

I don't expect there is any kind of conspiracy, and the current developers have their own agendas. Sometimes they just don't happen to coincide with what you'd like next.

Why does it have to be any other reason than that?

There are a vast number of potential future releases, and some day I am sure the F-16 will get it's turn once resources and other considerations are no obstacle.

BMS is currently doing a Hornet as well. And they will be there first. So when it comes out does ED say awww boo guess we tried but BMS beat us to it. Pack it up boys I guess we will just throw it away cause now there's another sim doing it and taking our market share.

NeilWillis I agree and that's fine...just so sick of people having no hope cause BMS did it

I thnk the problem is not to simulate the F-16 in DCS, I think the problem is that DCS could simulate all the other things that BMS has and DCS not, I am talking about dynamic campaigns, radio communications, radio chat between aircraft and ATC etc

Edited by JunMcKill

Lots of reference to "the other game".

Most people don't play Falcon 4 "simply" because they like the F16. They play it also for other reasons. You need to compare the simulator overall, not only on the plane they got. I won't make that comparison here as it's not the place to do it.

From my little point of view, as soon as the F18 is released, if it is as hardcore as the F16, lots of Falcon4 crowd will come to DCS. I may be wrong, but at that point they will have an aircraft comparable to their F16, in a better looking world and with more feature. For now, DCS has no multirole of that kind to offer, so they stick to Falcon.

That you have a F16 or a F18 doesn't matter much. Most "expert" will be nickpicking the specifications difference - at the end of the day, you have two gen4 multirole.

What seems most likely the case to me, is that there isn't enough groundwork yet in place for anyone to commit to a DCS: F-16. Logically, every completed project bleeds some useful code in to the next project, so something had to picked as a framework. If ED wanted to pick a fixed wing, supersonic, multi-role 4th gen US aircraft, out of say 3 choices, the F-18 brings the most to the sim. After that anything with similar feature sets, should be way less work.

Well, just imagine

Flyin over Hormuz in my F-16, while blaring Adrenaline's Road of the Gypsy over teamspeak via my thigh mounted walkman....

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Well, just imagine

Flyin over Hormuz in my F-16, while blaring Adrenaline's Road of the Gypsy over teamspeak via my thigh mounted walkman....

Sorry Skates, some things just aren't meant to be...for good reason. :P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It is simply a question of risk management. Why do something somebody else does well currently when there are other options that are equally attractive to customers? There's no good reason.

Some 3rd party devs and perhaps ED to some extend seem to prioritize their criteria differently anyways. From what I heared, first priority is "Can we do it?" and then some others and almost at the end comes "Can we make money with it?". So the risk argument is not really convincing, imho.

Besides that I - and seemingly many others - do not see the risk, that a competitor exists, is that big. Alone the DCS community will buy it already - even if it were not such an iconic aircraft. I mean, hey, we buy all kind of more or less obscure and niche aircraft ... And then there would be the potential marked of "only BMS, not yet DCS" simmers which perhaps would buy it as well.

• ED Team
It is simply a question of risk management. Why do something somebody else does well currently when there are other options that are equally attractive to customers? There's no good reason.

Edit: It's not a question of getting held back. About equally as much ground has to be covered technology wise for the Hornet as for the Viper, but the Hornet isn't featured on any level comparable to what DCS currently does, so the chances on recouping on all the features that need to be developed is much higher. Doing the Hornet now lays some groundwork, so once that is done it may suddenly tip the scale for the feasibility of a Viper.

I don't see the risk, at least nothing to speak of, there is no F-16 being sold on the market at the level ED/3rd Party would be offering it at. Look at VEAO's road map, or even the aircraft ED has done already, you could draw the same comparison to almost every module to other sims past and present. That is simply not a realistic reason to say why there isnt a F-16 in development right now.

I agree on your points about tech and what the Hornet could usher in. But again, use the P-51 as an example, isn't there a FSX P-51 add-on out there (Heck for that matter, there is a popular Hornet addon as well), with some level of complexity, the same logic everyone applies to the F-16 could have been applied there... I just dont buy it when people assume the F-16 availability in other sims was more than a minor thought to anyone exploring the possibilities to making it for DCS...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

The DCS squadron I fly for raised this question about a year ago, after discussion we came to the conclusion that if anyone could make a DCS F-16 module faster and easier (since they have a lot of data already at their hands), it could be the BMS guys themselves. So then, we decided to contact them at their forums to present the idea.

After the topic got a lot of attention (mostly criticism from BMS hardcore fans), eventually a BMS developer contacted us and said they have thought about it but that at the moment they weren't interested in doing one since they are planning on improving BMS instead.

That reply led me to think that maybe, if the idea was pushed to them various times by different people over time, it could convince the BMS guys to go ahead and do it.

In a way it may be a win-win situation, DCS would get an F-16, and the BMS guys can keep their F16 prestige by making the licensed product while they also work on their BMS. This could bring a more friendly approach of the communities of both sims.

What do you guys think?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And we will be busy and entertained for a good bit after the Hornet comes out (it might be a while before I master the bad-weather night trap:joystick:). Plus BST is releasing the F15 if I'm not mistaken. It would actually make sense to make the 16 a bit later, bunch-releasing the F-15/16/18 might be less business-efficient and would make most of us homeless (I mean with the three modules out who needs an actual life :D). Don't get me wrong I would love the viper (she is the sexiest USAF fighter after all), but why not have some russian action in between (Su27/33, MiG29,31)?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If no one is licensed for it, it seems to be a great community challenge. Hasn't someone done a flight model, others have done solo projects getting close. Honestly, its primed for the community.

As for the marketability of such a product, I can only say I'd be getting my wallet out and i suspect it would be popular, less divisive of the entusiasts than a WW2 airframe.

It's a shame the BMS crew are not wanting to be involved (from my best memory that was raised years ago but I can't find any info and don't hear anything from them) I realise its not the same but they'll have informaton and experience that may substitute the existing methods.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Plus BST is releasing the F15 if I'm not mistaken.

They have said no such thing.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

They have said no such thing.

Sorry my bad I don't know where I got the idea, I was under the (wrong) impression that they did the AFM and would eventually do a full blown ASM to go with it.

Edit: Actually, SD'd unofficial roadmap states it:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1931682&postcount=3

So I wasn't 100% wrong

Edited by PLP

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Sorry my bad I don't know where I got the idea, I was under the (wrong) impression that they did the AFM and would eventually do a full blown ASM to go with it.

Edit: Actually, SD'd unofficial roadmap states it:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1931682&postcount=3

So I wasn't 100% wrong

Yeah, they are/were exploring it, but no idea what they have decided if anything...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

BMS has been approached before by others with pretty much the same conclusion.

They already have resources dedicated to their project. BMS Falcon is Barely Falcon 4.0, most of the sim has been replaced thanks to the source code being out. However, even with those advances, the underlying code is still decades old and a DCS F-16 would make BMS Falcon show its true age, especially in the flight model category.

F-18C is a fairly modern / active duty multi-role fighter, who knows what doors it will open once finished.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Yeah, they are/were exploring it, but no idea what they have decided if anything...

The only official mention of it.

We are considering the possibility of creating a complete avionics model with clickable cockpit and accurate systems modeling. This would be a major development however, so a final decision has not yet been made

http://www.belsimtek.com/news/217/