Achieve the perfect TRIM

One important thing to tune for every aircraft you will fly is TRIM!

When you have a perfectly trimmed aircraft it flies faster, it’s easier to maneuver, and the flight experience is much greater. It even helps in hitting those fast moving targets. Saitek X-52 Pro flight stick has 2 rotating wheels that are great to trim your airplane with but default they are not very well tuned. This guide helps you tune your flight stick to achieve maximum TRIM and that wonderful feeling of balanced flight.

Open the “Option” menu and select “CONTROLS” to display the controls panel. Selected the aircraft you will change (settings are different for all aircrafts which is good for tuning) and select the “Axis Commands” in the “Category” list. All the current Saitek bindings should appear.

Controls dialog:

controlscut.png

First you need to bind the 2 wheels to Roll and Pitch.

I bind the big topwheel (Y-Rotation) to Pitch because that is the one I used the most and I think it’s practical, you can choose otherwise if you like. Press the “ADD” button when you have selected the field for “Trim Pitch” in the “Saitek” column to display the assignment panel. You then need to move the wheel fully to both sides and the “Key / Button” filed should update itself with “JOY_RY” if you selected the topwheel. Press OK to accept the assigned key.

Assignment panel:

bindwheelcut.png

Repeat this procedure for the “Trim Roll” assignment for the other wheel.

Change “Curvature” to 30 for both assignments.

You do that by pressing the “AXIS TUNE” when the bind field is active and the “AXIS TUNE PANEL” should display. Move the “Curvature” slider to 30, you can test the curve right away. Press “OK” to save settings. I also recommend saving your profile to a file by pressing the “SAVE PROFILE AS” in the controls panel, and then it’s easy to get back to your settings if they are lost by reinstall. To finish off your TRIM assignment take your aircraft for a testrun and see if you like these settings.

Axis tune panel:

axistune1cut.png

Experiment with these settings for every aircraft until you have a setting that suits you.

I hope you find that a balanced aircraft is much easier to fly and that this guide was somewhat helpful. Happy flying :pilotfly:

®

Very informative, Thanks.

I have the plain X-52, and the rotatory dials have a horrible twitch, I gave up on them and don't bother mapping them to do anything. For trim I have mapped Hat1+pinky using the SST software, still not a very good solution as it takes a second or2 to achieve "perfect trim" whereas the rotatorys would be almost instant. I'll give this a try.

Thanks again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS:WIN7 HP X64|MOBO:ASRock Z68|CPU:I52500k@4Ghz|RAM:12Gb 3x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 @1600Mhz|GPU:ASUS GTX580|HDD:2x128Gb Crucial sataIII SSD raid0|PSU:Antek 1000watt|Case:Antek 1200|Peripherals: TMWH|Saitek ProFlight rudder pedals|TrackIr4

I use my rotaries for Radar antenna... make things a lot easier when scanning the sky. My big rotary is for Radar Elevation, Small one for Range, and Slider for Width (narrow and wide)

the F-15C's FBW (not my user name, but the real fly by wire) system trim the AC fairly well.

I use my rotaries for Radar antenna... make things a lot easier when scanning the sky. My big rotary is for Radar Elevation, Small one for Range, and Slider for Width (narrow and wide)

the F-15C's FBW (not my user name, but the real fly by wire) system trim the AC fairly well.

Indeed the F-15 does have a "Control Augmentation System" .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

I prefer to use a hat for trim (though craft with rudder trim I need to set something else too), rotaries I'm still wary of, they're a bit twitchy and if there's one thing I couldn't stand it would be twitchy trim.

I wish there was something that could be done to clean up those signals better.

Edited by topdog

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

I've been using the rotaries on my X-52 Pro for trimming for sometime now and fine it easier and more precise than the hat switch method, now I only have to find a remedy for the SU-25T

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

I've been using the rotaries on my X-52 Pro for trimming for sometime now and fine it easier and more precise than the hat switch method, now I only have to find a remedy for the SU-25T

Su-25T has no option to bind rotator to TRIM so there a POV is the best choice. My guide fits best for the A-10A ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I use my X52 rotaries for trim in all Sims possible - but recently the performance dropped off and caused me some very scary moments.

The 'juddering' movement was noticable in the Windows game controller panel.

I opened up the throttle part (just the top, not the base) and squirted some lubricant into them. They are modern, fully-enclosed type of potentiometer - but there are a couple of small gaps where the lube will get in.

Since then it has been back to stable performance.

JD

Why is there no analog trim for Su25 and Su25T ?

Not present in RL and as such not modelled in the SIM. Sukhoi will probably provide the most comprehensive answer in that respect :)

....now I only have to find a remedy for the SU-25T

As an alternative, use the AP Emergency-Levelling Mode to trim for the specific parameters of your Jet at time of trim, ie Asymmetrical Payload etc etc. Works well if you're in a hurry.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Why is there no analog trim for Su25 and Su25T ?

The RL Su-25K, Su-25T and Su-25TM have their trim through the "hat switch" on the flight stick therefore the trim in Lock-On has been set to mirror this. Either through the "Hat switch" on your joystick or via the keys if you don't have one. Also the RL aircraft do not have a trim reset button, it has to be done manually.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=7639

Q: Why "set trimmers to neutral possition" key is not working for Su-25\Su-25T?

A: Because of high level of simulation of AFM, these function was excluded from Su-25\Su-25T aircraft, since they doesn't have this function in real life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Why trim-axis doesn't work for Su-25\Su-25T?

A: The same reason as above, these aircrafts has button-style trimmers only, in real life.

BTW, one thing that budding Su-25T pilots either forget or don't know yet is this;

On a side note, an interesting point about the AFM, which isn't fully covered in the manual.

The AFM models gyro-error, which can result in erroneous navigation, as well as flight data instrumentation during the flight. As you probably understand, the longer the flight, the larger the percent error. If starting on the tarmac, you should be sure to give the gyros at least three minutes to spin up before taxing out for the flight to ensure maximum accuracy.

Asus ROG Strix B-560-F, Intel i9-11900k, EVGA GTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000, 1TB WD Blue SN550 NVME SSD, Asus PB287Q 28" 3840x2160 TN 4K, Thrustmaster Warthog + F/A-18 HOTAS, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar, Thrustmaster TFRP rudder, Razer orbweaver chroma.

The artist formerly known as VVS 504 Wolverine.